Just a quick question..

Options

Replies

• katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Rinsing does help, I don't know by how much or how you'd go about logging it, but when I use canned beans I always rinse them, and you can taste the difference in sodium. Also another great product with Omega 3's is hemp seed, and it's becoming more and more popular. I buy shelled hemp seed and hemp protein powder mix it with some water and have it as an after workout snack sometimes. It's easier with water because I don't have to worry about keeping it refrigerated like with milk.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Just sayin' that you don't need to use a blender to make your avocado nice and creamy if it's ripe -- just mash it with a fork. (Don't want you to be afraid that you'll need "special equipment" to use avocado!) Avocados are sort of like bananas in that they get easier to mash the more they ripen -- but avocados start out a lot harder than bananas do. :smile:
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    idk about the sodium levels, but I do remember when I was pregnant, I was warned about mercury levels being high in tuna...just a thought..
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Eat it and enjoy!
    And next time out, look for the low sodium tuna.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    Flaxseed - milled, chia seed and walnuts all have OMG-3 and have many more befits and are better for you than tuna. Flaxseed must be milled for your body to process and get the OMG-3 out of it. You can buy it in travel packets with 1,200mg of Omg3. I put it in my oatmeal and protein drinks.

Are you looking to get OMG 3 in order lower your LDL?

No, I read that omega 3 can help burn extra calories a day just by taking it. I do take a multivitamin with it, but I know you do not get as much out of it as natural foods.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    try the low sodium starkist chunk light tuna. It only has a 100g of sodium per pouch.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Just sayin' that you don't need to use a blender to make your avocado nice and creamy if it's ripe -- just mash it with a fork. (Don't want you to be afraid that you'll need "special equipment" to use avocado!) Avocados are sort of like bananas in that they get easier to mash the more they ripen -- but avocados start out a lot harder than bananas do. :smile:

never had avocados so I am unsure, but I think I could learn to deal with it if I dont like it. Also, thanks for advice.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    You could use fresh tuna if you have a good meat market nearby. Bake or grill it and then flake or cut into the size portions you need. I have a good meat market just a couple miles away. Glad you posted this cause it gave me an idea I'd not yet thought of. I love fresh tuna but can't stand canned.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Rinsing does help, I don't know by how much or how you'd go about logging it, but when I use canned beans I always rinse them, and you can taste the difference in sodium. Also another great product with Omega 3's is hemp seed, and it's becoming more and more popular. I buy shelled hemp seed and hemp protein powder mix it with some water and have it as an after workout snack sometimes. It's easier with water because I don't have to worry about keeping it refrigerated like with milk.

I am not too worried about logging change in sodium, as long as I know I am lower than the daily limit. As for hemp seed, Is that not the seed that can pop on a urinalysis?
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    You could use fresh tuna if you have a good meat market nearby. Bake or grill it and then flake or cut into the size portions you need. I have a good meat market just a couple miles away. Glad you posted this cause it gave me an idea I'd not yet thought of. I love fresh tuna but can't stand canned.

I really would burn anything that is not allowed in the microwave. I just have never really took a liking to cooking in the kitchen. Not really sure why buts its not something I am a fan of. I can somewhat make scrambled eggs, but that's as far as it goes.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    try the low sodium starkist chunk light tuna. It only has a 100g of sodium per pouch.

I used to eat the pouches, but if I am correct, they are not only more expensive, but also less amount as well.
  • katy84o
    Options

Also to speed up the ripening process if you buy rock hard avacados just put in a paper bag and put in a dark cool cabinet for a day or so, just check it each day until it's gives a little when squeezed lightly.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hey also just wanna say welcome man and congrats on the weight loss so far but let me make some suggestions...you dont have to follow them of course but i really feel your under eating.

If i were you id be aiming for 1800 or more calories a day and 150+ grams of protein if your going to build muscle or at least maintain muscle while loosing weight.

To get more protein switch your yogurt for greek yogurt, eggs, nuts, ect or protein powder......Now i thought eating very little was the way to loose weight and ill tell you i lost some that way, then stalled then i added 400 calories a day up to 1950 or more a day and im still loosing weight.....again just some helpful advice maybe im in the same situation as you want to build up and be strong but you gotta eat lots of protein and fuel that body to do it
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    honestly dont worry about the salt...if you have a medical issue with salt then yes watch it but if you tracked what you ate before to gain weight you probably took in 3 times more salt. Salt wont make you gain fat or stop fat loss if it worries you make sure you get your 8+ cups of water i know i dont track salt and i eat tuna like its candy can or so a day some times and my weight loss has never been effected

That sounds like good news. I just know that it says 5 servings, but I know thats normally with a lot of other sides usually, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bad Idea. Either way its so hard to even get to 1200 calories, I have been trying. Hopefully adding lemon juice and olive oil will add a few more calories and they are healthy.

Why are you only eating 1200 calories a day? That seems like a really low number for a guy, especially since you don't have much to lose.
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    Dude

I go to a professional Dietician and i asked the same question. She said a person can consume up to 3000 mg of sodium and it will not hurt you. Personally I do not consume much salts in most things i eat. Yet with this site's food breakdown, i am noticing i do about 700 to 1500 a day.

I am just saying you dont need to worry about it too much if you are down at the 900 mg level. So long as you don't over do it. I enjoy Bumble Bee tuna in water and sprinkle pepper on it, after i drain the water, and it tastes yummy to me. I also vary the fish consumption with sardines in water too.
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    If you are eating high sodium foods, drink extra water to help flush it out
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

I used to eat the pouches, but if I am correct, they are not only more expensive, but also less amount as well.

I don't really look at the prices, so you could be right. I don't like to eat from a can if I can help it. I only eat tuna twice a week because of the mercury levels anyways. I was suggest not eating it everyday or seeing how much u can eat as opposed to ur weight using this calculator http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator
  • katy84o
    Options

I am not too worried about logging change in sodium, as long as I know I am lower than the daily limit. As for hemp seed, Is that not the seed that can pop on a urinalysis?

As far as I know, no it won't show up on a urinalysis test. It's not the same as pot. But I can't answer the question really because I don't know. I'm sure you could google it. With that being said, I've heard the same about poppy seeds that they can cause you to fail a drug test if you eat them everyday.. Also don't know if that's true, but I have heard/read it somewhere online.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    As a rule for a young healthy person, sodium isn't that harmful unless you load up on a daily basis. If sodium causes you to retain water or you have high blood pressure (among other ailments), you should definitely keep close track and try to keep it down.

The short version of why too much sodium is bad is that the water weight gain is actually in your arteries and veins, increasing blood volume. This causes the heart to work harder to pump the extra volume of blood and also causes extra pressure on the walls of arteries and veins. Over time the heart can weaken from all the extra work and artery/vein walls can weaken due to prolonged or repeated extra pressure on them. But, sodium is an electrolyte and a body cannot live without it.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    honestly dont worry about the salt...if you have a medical issue with salt then yes watch it but if you tracked what you ate before to gain weight you probably took in 3 times more salt. Salt wont make you gain fat or stop fat loss if it worries you make sure you get your 8+ cups of water i know i dont track salt and i eat tuna like its candy can or so a day some times and my weight loss has never been effected

That sounds like good news. I just know that it says 5 servings, but I know thats normally with a lot of other sides usually, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bad Idea. Either way its so hard to even get to 1200 calories, I have been trying. Hopefully adding lemon juice and olive oil will add a few more calories and they are healthy.

Why are you only eating 1200 calories a day? That seems like a really low number for a guy, especially since you don't have much to lose.

Its not really a choice, its more of.. I just cant seem to raise it up.