July Cycling Challenge

Options
CricketKate
CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
I still feel pretty new to this whole cycling thing. So here we are in month 2. I hope to see old faces and new. Let's get on those Bikes, whether you're just starting out (like me:blushing: ) or are an old (or young) pro! Feel free to track miles, minutes, speed, rpm, whatever will get you on your bike, and on this thread.:happy:

Replies

• luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I've just been back to biking the last few months and I love it! I also walk and do yoga, so may not have as much time on the bike as some others, but it"ll be good to keep track. I'm gonna do mine in time because I mainly have my bike on a trainer at home and don't know how many miles I'm getting in.
  • luvsunshine1
    Options
    I'm in, I've just been back to biking the last few months and I love it! I also walk and do yoga, so may not have as much time on the bike as some others, but it"ll be good to keep track. I'm gonna do mine in time because I mainly have my bike on a trainer at home and don't know how many miles I'm getting in.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I want to track, but I'm in!
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Let's do this. Mtn biking, and shooting for 10 mi/day.

123.95 mi for Jun over 10 rides, getting that number up to 250 this month.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Did about 18-20 miles today and around 6 miles yesterday, on top of 90 minutes of walking.
    Took me about an hour and 40 minutes to do the 20. Was pretty hard going due to quite high winds and some mean as heck hills. I burnt about 740 calories according to my polar ft4 in those 100 mins.

Guessing I did at least 200 miles over the course of June, probably more.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    40 minutes; 8.8 miles-ish; same thing yesterday.
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    Just joined MFP today. Got in 13 miles this early AM since it will be another 100+ degree day. I also walk so I will just be tracking mileage. I am a "roadie" and average 1500 miles yearly.
  • luvsunshine1
    Options
    Sun July 1st - 75 min biking
  • DryHeet
    DryHeet Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good motivation - I've been getting back into cycling the last 3 or 4 weeks (well, mainly Spin classes). Today was my first longer road bike ride in several months.

Sun, Jul 1 - road bike 30 miles, 2 hrs, avg 15. HRM Calories 1304.

Keep the rubber side down!
    Susan
  • fatima147
    fatima147 Posts: 85
    Options
    im in. no doubt about it. but i wont be able to use ordinary bike. im gna use stationary bike... ok?
  • CricketKate
    Options
    im in. no doubt about it. but i wont be able to use ordinary bike. im gna use stationary bike... ok?

Whatever works for you works for us! I'm glad to have All of You along!
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options

Yep, just keep those legs moving and be consistent.:drinker:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Can you believe it? Another flat. 3rd one in the month and a half that I've had my bike. My july hasn't started out too well.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I "cheated" and did the "Trek Across Maine" this Spring, so with that and training I'm up to 857 miles so far this season, 356 of which directly replaced commuting miles to work.
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Yep, just keep those legs moving and be consistent.:drinker:

Stationary bikes allowed?! I'm SO in! Gonna aim for 60 miles minimum this month.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Can you believe it? Another flat. 3rd one in the month and a half that I've had my bike. My july hasn't started out too well.
  • drapisking
    drapisking Posts: 73 Member
    Options

they come in bunches, i went two years without a flat on my road bike and then got 2 in one ride on newyears day.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

What kind of bike do you have?

If it's a mountain bike, look into thicker tires or "slime liners" or one of the self-repairing tubes. At low pressures like those found on a mountain bike tire, even "Fix-a-Flat" can work fairly well at self-healing small punctures.

If it's a hybrid/road bike, look into puncture-resistant tires. I ran a set of Aramid/Kevlar tires called "Armadillos" by Specialized for about 2,000 miles without a single flat and I'm a breakdown-lane coward who is constantly running over glass. My first puncture in 4+ years happened just about 2 weeks ago on a newer Continental all-season puncture resistant tire, but I also ran over a staple, and no tire can resist that.

No matter what you're running, invest in a spare tube, a patch kit (because you might have TWO blowouts), the tools necessary to remove and replace your tire, and a pump capable of inflating your tire to enough pressure to limp home at least. The pump can attach to the frame of almost any bike, and the rest can fit in a bag on your rear rack or attached underneath the seat.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm up for it, aiming for more than 300 miles.

Do you check your tire pressure before every ride? I have been riding quite a bit and have yet to have a flat because we check my tire pressure all the time. I would also see if you can have it serviced because constant flats could be a sign of another problem such as rubbing, etc. However, I know that sometimes it is just circumstances like glass, etc that seem to litter the shoulder. :smile:
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Oh, and just to start the month off right, yesterday was 27.31 miles!