What to do with an eggplant?

Options
13»

Replies

• Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion..... toss it in the trash!!! I think unless you grew up in upstate NY cooking those darn things correctly is just outta the question. (but then I am from the south what the devil do I know!) Good luck with that!!! ;)
  • friend2cptsolo
    friend2cptsolo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use eggplant as spaghetti noodle replacement. I have a slicer that will slice the eggplant into fine strips and I used to use a cheese grater before that.
    Steam then cover with homemade sauce.

I like the taste of this now better than regular noodles.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    bump
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Here's a "no added fat" baba ghanoush recipe...doesn't taste or feel quite the same as with tahini but I've gotten good feedback on it. This recipe calls for two medium eggplants so you'll probably have to adjust.

Ingredients:

2 eggplants
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    5 cloves minced garlic, preferably roasted
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp parsley
    Preparation:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
    Slice eggplants in half and pierce with a fork in several places. Roast for about 45 minutes, or until soft. Allow to cool slightly, then scoop out inside of eggplant, leaving skin behind.

In a blender or food processor, process eggplant with remaining ingredients until smooth.

Good luck!
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump, I love eggplant i will have to try this
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Variation on egg plant parm...
    Slice eggplant
    Top slices with tomato sauce, cheese, favorite pizza toppings
    bake
    enjoy! :happy:
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Asian flavors:
    Steam until soft, drain most of the water, top with scallions, add some soy sauce and sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seed.

Not so healthy - stuff eggplants with fish or shrimp paste (not the fermented kind, but fish or shrimps finely chopped, mixed with cornstarch and egg whites), and then pan-fried.

Grilled eggplants - marinate the eggplants in a mixture of soy sauce, pepper flakes, minced garlic, grated ginger, brown sugar and water, and then grill. You can use the marinade for tofu, also.
  • dajero1
    dajero1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Slice, rinse with water, shake in italian bread crumbs, put on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake. 350 until done. Oh and turn once half way through. Yum and lower cal.

Bump. I have a ton I them growing in the garden and didn't know what to do with them when they are ready. The garden and the eggplant was a first time thing. Great ideas here. :)

I use the recipe above and then freeze. Have ready for eggplant parmesan all winter long. Or just reheat and tastes as good as day I first made it.
  • northern_flicker
    Options
    slice into 1/2" rounds. Salt both sides and place btw paper towels for 10 min, then marinate for 10-30 minutes in dressing below...grill until soft and has nice grill marks, top with left-over marinade, sprinkle with chopped basil and or feta to taste (optional)...serve as a main dish or side dish.

grilled eggplant marinade

1/2 c balsamic vineagr
    1/2 c olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp crushed red pepper (or to taste)
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    these recipes look yummy. Think I'll grill some up tonight!:love:
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    make a noodle-less lasagna!! Slice them really thin and use them in a lasagna recipe to replace the noodles.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    They are great grilled, and put into a sandwich with hummus and other veggies, or in a homemade tahi stirfry : )
  • cheetararocks
    Options
    Bump :)
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i had eggplant lasagna tonight. lasagna but eggplant replaces the noodles...and it was amazing. (cook eggplant before putting it in the lasagna though).
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have an eggplant and I have no idea what to do with it. I usually make babaganoush, but I dont have any tahini. Any ideas?

I love egg plant..fry it up in some EVOO(extra virgin olive oil). You can make Eggplant Parm also I made this a few days ago and it was YUMMY!!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/indian_spiced_eggplant_cauliflower_stew.html
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options