MFP Obsession

Options

Replies

• frixtine
    frixtine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Going from 422 to 190 cannot possibly ever be a BAD thing! That is phenomenal!!! And in all honesty 190 isn't even considered healthy, so keep doing it.

I hate to say it, but you just might be making them feel bad about themselves and they want you to fail for that reason. In my family, my brother and sister drink HEAVILY to the point of I rarely see them not drunk. When I do get around them, they always push on me that I NEED to drink, and why don't I. I tell them that I just don't like to puke anymore. They tell me to take phenergan and get over it. Now why in the hell would I take prescription meds just to drink? It's not that I dont want to be with them. I just dont want to drink. But I think that by seeing me refusing to drink, it makes them feel bad. So they've been telling me that I've changed and I'm not the same person and I must be depressed. WTFE!

Kinda sounds like the same situation to me, but just calories instead of alcohol.
  • byebyeluvhandles
    byebyeluvhandles Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am new here (1 week) and I haven't told anyone that I have signed up for this site. I sign in very quickly in the evenings to log dinner and exercise and then sign out. I have support, but I'm doing this for ME. I would always say that I would NEVER count calories, but I guess like they say, "never say never"!!

I have found that counting calories helps me be accountable for what I eat, althoughtI am not ready to make my food diary public.

I'm sure you will find much support on this site as I have. I have read many topics, success stories and have seen great before and after pics.

As long as you know why you are making better choices, that's all that matters.

Feel free to add me and good luck.
  • AmberMahfouz
    AmberMahfouz Posts: 316
    Options
    Don't let anyone bring you down. You are a gorgeous and smart and you are allowed to take control of your own life. :-)
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the response! This is my exact reason for coming here, the support. I log on without anyones knowledge because they say that MFP aides in my weightloss obsession. It is primarily my husband that is against it, with negative comments from my sister and inlaws. I have an amazing little boy that I wanna see grow. But, my primary reason for wanting to lose weight is for me, I want to live and feel good both physically and mentally. Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that if my losing weight gives them the fuel to not want to be part of my life, then they were not meant to be in my life to begin with.

I don't know any details of your marriage, but have you tried to talk to your husband to find out why he feels so strongly against this? Is he feeling "neglected" with your new activities? Is he worried you will lose the weight and see better options and leave? Is he just controlling and being a jerk?
  • ichigo007
    ichigo007 Posts: 97
    Options
    Some of family does the same. But if it works ignore them. The only time I lose weight it seems is when I use MFP.
  • jreeves628
    jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My husband does the same thing. I honestly think he is jealous, as if I would leave him or something once I became a hot mama.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Stick to MFP- do it for you and your son so that one day you can see him walk across the stage and get his degree~ see him grow up and be happy- see his children one day...

Dreams are bigger and better than any family member that is getting your way- as you can see - you have plenty of support here- keep on this journey for you and your happiness.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Who cares what they think?
    These people will all die fat. You just do what's right for you, and leave those people alone.
    Never mention anything fitness or health related to them.
    Let them kill themselves with a knife and fork while you work to reach your own goals.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your husband is controlling and doesn't like that he is losing that power over you.

Sorry, I couldn't be with someone who I had to hide being healthy from. My husband is far from healthy but he encourages me in all that I do.
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    I can't imagine "love ones" giving you a hard time about changing your life around for the better. Just keep doing what you're doing...you're a grown woman and don't need anyone's approval for what you're doing. You have plenty of people here to support and reaffirm what you're doing.
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can friend me if you would like. Thats what I love about MFP.... everyone here is very supportive.

You are doing what is right for you and your lil one. Being healthy is a great thing for you and them. You are teaching them that being healthy is a way of life and thats being a great momma.
    :)
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your struggles. I had issues with my husband/family/friends at one point but I kept pushing through it. I confronted my husband about it asking him why he had an issue with me losing weight and he said he was scared I would not want to be with him once I lose the weight. I reassured him that I was doing this for me and that I was not doing it so tha I could "find someone better". I love my husband and made sure he knew it. As for the famiy/friends they have learned to put up with my obsession. If they have an issue with it still they do not let on anymore. You can't let them rule your life. It is your life and you chose what you want to do with it.

You can add me on here if you want for the extra support. Together we can all get to where we want to be
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I am not suppose to even be on MFP, but unfortunately, I am logging without anyones knowledge.

HUH?? Why???

Not supposed to??? Friend me! =) I'll be support!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for them, your "loved ones" are doing exactly what it takes for you to eventually walk away from them - the thing they fear the most with your healthy new lifestyle.

If they supported you, heck, even ate a healthy meal once a week with you, then you would be enraptured in their love. Right now they are pushing you so far away you have nothing to do but to go away - either mentally or physically.

I think if you try to have a normal conversation and make them realize that this is who you are, and they can either support you with love and respect or they can lose you, they might see things differently.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    There is no advise that I could give to help you, but please, don't feel alone. All of us are on here for a reason. Our experiences are varied, as are our situations but we are on here together. Pick from us and add some to your friend list and you will always have someone to chat with when you need it. XO
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    An obsession with this site is different than being addicted to drugs or gambling. Your obsession is brought on by the will to stay alive, he might as well be saying that you're addicted to breathing. You're doing this for yourself and for your family. No one can have the right to take that away from you.
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If MFP motivates you, stay on it. Do what works for you:smile:

Definitely go with this advice. I've done the same thing; luckily I have the support of my family. I am really surprised at how the calories add up with seemingly innocent snacks and toppings, etc. Tracking everything has been a great help to me. Don't cheat on your entries because you're only cheating yourself. Good Luck!!
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just do what you need to do, Keep coming back for you. They are giving you a hard time because they know their lifestyle isn't a healthy one. Don't let them get you down.
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you feel alone :( I cannot believe people are trying to rule and run your life. You should stand proud and say that you are doing this for you and if they can't accept that you're trying to make a healthy change then they can FECK OFF! You should do what makes you happy!! You are not alone there are a ton of us here going through the journey to better health with you! Feel free to friend me!! I wish you best of luck!!

Just remember DO what makes YOU happy....not anyone else...YOU YOU YOU! Be selfish if you have to, it's your life and your health not your friends/neighbors/husband.....
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    It is not an obsession it is wanting a better future for yourself and your family. My hubby just gets tired of hearing about every little thing but still over the years has become super supportive because he knows that when i feel good we get along better. It's very sad that your family feels this way but i think a lot of it is jealousy/laziness plain and simple. I'm sending you a friend request now. :flowerforyou: