Left the U.S. for a foreign country?

Options
12346»

Replies

• julieanddavid
    Options
    Where'd you go? Why? How'd you find work? What went down?

Yep. My husband works for the US govt, and our family gets moved around every 2-3 years. We have lived in Mozambique, Chile and are currently in Armenia. I've worked for some of these years (usually doing editing work, or getting a job within the US embassy), but I feel pretty lucky to be able to stay home with my kids right now.

I love this life, which isn't to say I DON'T love my country. But I don't feel the need to move back to the US anytime soon. I'm looking forward to whatever random spot on the planet comes into my life next!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Lastly, I love the environmentally-friendly way of life- wastage is not tolerated, everything is efficient, the transit system is beyond compare (to say it's easy, cheap, accessible and efficient is an understatement).

I absolutely love the transit system in Zurich. It was like a dream to this transportation engineer. But that siad, I deifnitely would not call it cheap. And it was sooo good and efficient I'd call it wasteful. I was there to visit a friend who lives about 10-15 minutes from downtown and there were about 5 transit options to get back to her place from downtown that all took relatively the same amount of time.

Landstuhl hospital is the primary first real hospital our seriously injured troops go to. By working there you will be part of the process to help save them and to comfort thm and their families. Thank you and good luck getting the job.

Couldn't agree more about the army hospital at Landstuhl. A year ago this month I was admitted there for a week and received excellent care.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Everyone has such interesting stories!
    I've actually been really curious as to how everyone has been able to find jobs and housing in their new countries, so this helped quite a bit.

I was offered a scholarship at a university in Queensland, AU a few years ago, but turned it down because at the time the program didn't interest me enough. I'm still kicking myself wishing I would have taken it.

I'm Canadian, and it's not that I don't love my country, it's just that there's a whole world out there for me to explore, and I don't feel like I should be confined to one country my whole life.

If I wasn't tied down at the moment, I'd for sure be living in Spain, Italy, or France (as those are the languages I can pick up easiest). And if anything were to come up and I had the opportunity to be there, I'd book my flight there ASAP. Should the opportunity come up sooner than later, I'm glad that you all shared your experiences so that I'd be able to make a smoother transition!!

As of right now though, the game plan is to be living in either Nicaragua or the Dominican by the time we're 35. We've already began looking at houses, and are gradually familiarizing ourselves with the rest of the country's laws.
  • amanday88
    amanday88 Posts: 68
    Options
    I live in zhangjiajie, china right now. teaching english found them through a education source that places you in schools!
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    This thread is hilarious. Some people eh...

Anyway. I'm Irish, and currently living in Thailand. Been here for nearly 2 years. Planning on moving on somewhere new soon though.

I'm a teacher so easy to travel the world working, and that's the plan. I got this job online before arriving and it's all been amazing.
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just transferred from the US to Switzerland in April 2012 for work. So far it has been good, nice to be able to get so many cool places so quickly.
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the transit system in Zurich. It was like a dream to this transportation engineer. But that siad, I deifnitely would not call it cheap. And it was sooo good and efficient I'd call it wasteful. I was there to visit a friend who lives about 10-15 minutes from downtown and there were about 5 transit options to get back to her place from downtown that all took relatively the same amount of time.

Actually if you live here and purchase the monthly pass to go anywhere in Switzerland it is quite cheap compared to the other countries. If you are purchasing tickets each time, it is expensive.
  • Exna
    Exna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I actually left Mexico (where I was born ) to live USA. I got married 5 years ago, my husband was born here.

I have a bachelor degree in accounting from Mexico, when I came to America 4 years ago ( lived first in Montreal, Canada, bc of my visa and blah blah), the situation was difficult when I arrived and finding an accounting job with little experience and NO experience in America, so I had to start working in retail, sucked for a while (2years) and then I started looking for assitant positions to develop my English. I got a job in an State office, then I got another job in the same office (higher position ) so I went from being an office assitant to be an Equal Rights Officer.

No transition is easy. you have to fight for what you really want to be anywhere you go :) ....
    ONe thing for sure... It makes you stronger than you would think ! ....

Maybe not entirely related to the post ... sorry :P just wanted to share my thoughts ;)
  • raketje
    raketje Posts: 1
    Options
    Moved from Oregon to Liverpool England for what was supposed to be a 1-year Master's Degree programme. That was in 2004. I'm still in England, and happily married to a British man. I can't imagine going back to the US now....
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I wish. My dream is to move to the Netherlands or one of the Nordic countries...but they'd never let me in to stay.

Actually, the nordic countries let everyone in. Lol.

But do they let them stay? If so, I'm outta here!
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Left Ireland for the US. Reason - My parents made me. lol! I was 12 when we moved.
  • Flamenquero
    Flamenquero Posts: 132
    Options
    I left the People's Republic of California for the U.S. :o)