Vegetarian diet and mental disorders

Options

Replies

• MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    These threads get more and more ridiculous.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Ok, I tried to stay out of this but India? Really? India is ranked 2nd in the world of the number of children suffering from malnutrition. The prevalence of underweight children in India is among the highest in the world...
    You'd think being a vegan country they'd be healthier than that.

Doesn't India have a third of the world's poverty? That might be a better explanation for the malnutrition.

And for not eating meat.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm still puzzled as to why there would be any widespread agenda against vegetarianism, given the relative scarcity of meat. It's heavily subsidized and still expensive, and a lot of people would be very unhappy if increased demand caused prices to go beyond the reach of the average American.

Environmentalists are probably also quite happy with the idea of more people following a vegetarian diet.

Problem is that this is where environmentalists (who probably tend to be vegetarians too) are misguided. No good can come from raping the land of nutrients and high density farming to feed everyone an all vegetarian diet. Forests will be cut down, topsoil depleted, animals displaced and killed just to raise huge factory farms that do more to harm the environment than to protect it.

Pound for pound animals provide more nutrition and have less impact on the environment when it comes to grazing land vs clearcut farmland.

You didn't factor in the extra water required to raise the animals. One of the biggest sources of beef subsidy is water subsidies.

As opposed to all the watering that plants need in 1000s of acres of farmland? Additionally, if you are feeding a cow (or other animals) what they are designed to eat and not *kitten* grains and feed they drink much less and get lots of water from grass. That's not to say that they don't require water, but so does farmland.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This whole 'making fun of vegetarians' will only stop when there's more of them I think. No one makes fun of vegetarians in India. There are hundreds of thousands of strictly vegetarian restaurants, both high and low end (with menus over 5 pages long) and supermarkets and convenience stores that are completely vegetarian. It is an accepted thing, a normal thing. That is mostly due to the fact that millions are vegetarian there.
    I'm non- vegetarian and everyone constantly tells me, "If you're gonna eat meat, eat it once or twice a week." Can't do that though...

Ok, I tried to stay out of this but India? Really? India is ranked 2nd in the world of the number of children suffering from malnutrition. The prevalence of underweight children in India is among the highest in the world...

Yes it is ranked 2nd in the world for malnutrition in children, but what does that have to do with anything I said? Malnutrition is from not getting enough of ANY food, vegetarian or otherwise. I spoke about vegetarianism and non-vegetarianism, not malnutrition.
    Also, there's a difference between vegan and vegetarian. India has never been vegan. People there look at you like you're crazy if you say you don't drink milk and eat milk products.
    And fyi, being vegan, vegetarian or non-vegetarian does not have anything to do with being healthy. You can be healthy regardless of what you are. Please read carefully what I said.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm still puzzled as to why there would be any widespread agenda against vegetarianism, given the relative scarcity of meat. It's heavily subsidized and still expensive, and a lot of people would be very unhappy if increased demand caused prices to go beyond the reach of the average American.

Environmentalists are probably also quite happy with the idea of more people following a vegetarian diet.

Problem is that this is where environmentalists (who probably tend to be vegetarians too) are misguided. No good can come from raping the land of nutrients and high density farming to feed everyone an all vegetarian diet. Forests will be cut down, topsoil depleted, animals displaced and killed just to raise huge factory farms that do more to harm the environment than to protect it.

Pound for pound animals provide more nutrition and have less impact on the environment when it comes to grazing land vs clearcut farmland.

You didn't factor in the extra water required to raise the animals. One of the biggest sources of beef subsidy is water subsidies.

As opposed to all the watering that plants need in 1000s of acres of farmland? Additionally, if you are feeding a cow (or other animals) what they are designed to eat and not *kitten* grains and feed they drink much less and get lots of water from grass. That's not to say that they don't require water, but so does farmland.

You have to water the plants to feed to the cow, then water the cow, as opposed to just watering the plants, harvesting, and eating.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Meat was implicated as a driving factor in our brain evolution, and saturated fats are required by the brain to operate correctly.

Very interesting new research.
    No need to blaspheme....
  • Marll
    Options

Doesn't India have a third of the world's poverty? That might be a better explanation for the malnutrition.

And for not eating meat.

Yep and for a very high vegetarian population they have one of the highest rates of heart disease in the world. You can then compare the different cultural groups within India and see that the groups that do eat meat have a much lower level of heart disease.

The malnutrition is not neccesarily caused by lack of food or poverty, but also the diet makeup.

In 1946 Ghandi, a man committed to vegetarian diet strongly declared: "The crores of India today get neither milk nor ghee nor butter, nor even buttermilk. No wonder that mortality figures are on the increase and there is a lack of energy in the people. It would appear as if man is really unable to sustain life without either meat or milk and milk products. Anyone who deceives people in this regard or countenances the fraud is an enemy of India."
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    OUCH!
    I am no vegetarian, but this is quite absurd.
    Correlation does not equal causation.
    Maybe a half baked mind is what draws some to give up meat. That makes much more sense to me.
    To turn one's nose up before a fabulous steak is crazy.

Just an opinion.

Why is this not considered "holier than thou"?

Is it really so "crazy" to be compassionate?
    If it means not eating a rib-eye, then yes.
    And I am very holy in all that I do once you discount my many vices.
    Like steak and potatoes over tofu and seaweed....
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Agriculture consumes about 70% of fresh water worldwide; for example, approximately 1000 liters (L) of water are required to produce 1 kilogram (kg) of cereal grain, and 43,000 L to produce 1 kg of beef.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1641/0006-3568(2004)054[0909:WRAAEI]2.0.CO;2

I'm a meat eater, by the way. I'm currently on Atkins for crying out loud. My food preferences doesn't alter the problems associated with a society that consumes a lot of meat, however.
  • Marll
    Options

You have to water the plants to feed to the cow, then water the cow, as opposed to just watering the plants, harvesting, and eating.

I'd be willing to bet that grass (and yes you can specifically grow drought resistant grass in hotter climates) takes way less water to grow than a field of, lets say lettuce or cabbage.

I'm not against vegtables and growing them, far from it, I just think that trying to feed everyone on a vegetarian diet would necessitate the destruction of more natural environments and death of animals through that destruction than is let on. To say the world could be fed on a vegetarian diet is silly at best in my mind.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

I'd be willing to bet that grass (and yes you can specifically grow drought resistant grass in hotter climates) takes way less water to grow than a field of, lets say lettuce or cabbage.

I'm not against vegtables and growing them, far from it, I just think that trying to feed everyone on a vegetarian diet would necessitate the destruction of more natural environments and death of animals through that destruction than is let on. To say the world could be fed on a vegetarian diet is silly at best in my mind.

I didn't suggest feeding everyone on a vegetarian diet, I suggested leaving the vegetarians alone for the incredibly selfish reason that more demand for beef will likely raise prices even with the subsidies, making it so I can't afford steak anymore!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I think the conclusion is:

People who eat veggies - A-holes

People who eat meat - A-holes

People who breath air - A-holes

Sounds about right? heh
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew happy Vegans and vegetarians. All the ones I know, got a holier than thou attitude and bought apple products. They became a bunch of pretentious a-holes.

Not sure if sarcasm...but I agree! I have a guy that works for me that used to be a vegetarian and he's be the first to tell you that part of what drew him to the diet was that he could lord is moral superiority over other people he met. He's older now and decided to give that up and eat meat. He's a lot healthier now, and much less of a little prick.

Not sarcasm at all. Here in the SF Bay area, all the vegans and veggies I come across (and personal friends who switched), all act like they were gods gifts to the world and that everyone else is beneath them. I lost friends over it, its ridiculous really.

Just to be clear, you can be a *kitten* regardless of whether you eat meat or not. I'm one of those "mentally ill" (insert sarcastic laugh here) vegetarians and I know a lot of self righteous a-holes who eat meat.

Why do we keep having these discussions anyway? Why can't we all just agree to disagree? I don't give a rat's *kitten* what anyone else eats and I appreciate people not giving me crap for my diet choices as well.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Just because people who have mental illness happen to be vegetarian does not mean anything. It could have to do with a lot of other factors such as stress, family life, history etc.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Except people do survive all the time without meat or milk and have plenty of energy. I'm not going to take the word of one person in 1946. My heart is also doing great. I don't say that people who do eat meat can't be healthy, and I'm sick of hearing that I can't be healthy because I don't. I'm probably out though on debating with you Marll--each of us has our minds made up, nothing wrong with that, but not seeing the point either.
  • Iguana67
    Iguana67 Posts: 8
    Options
    Interesting 'Chicken and egg' debate here, if you'll scuse the pun. I've been veggie since i was 17 (am now 44) and have suffered from mental illness since before then. There is some evidence to suggest that taking omega 3 supplements can improve mental health, and the major source of Omega 3s is fish. I would describe myself as more sensitive than the average person, but this isnt necessarily a good thing! I can take things personally and agonise over them when they were not meant that way at all. I certainly dont feel superior to a meat eater - my veggie diet is just part of my normal day to day living, i dont think about it.

I became veggie due to a growing squeamishness over eating meat - for me the disgust is similar if you were to ask me to eat human flesh, i just cant do it! Now this topic has got me thinking, I do seem to have a general squeamishness about life in general. I'm a recovering alky so for years I drank to oblivion as i didnt much like my life. My current diagnosis is Borderline Personality Disorder, which means I struggle with a lot of stuff.

I dont think that suddenly eating meat and fish again would change any of this, but I do think there is a link somewhere. like i said, chicken and egg.
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    This whole 'making fun of vegetarians' will only stop when there's more of them I think. No one makes fun of vegetarians in India. There are hundreds of thousands of strictly vegetarian restaurants, both high and low end (with menus over 5 pages long) and supermarkets and convenience stores that are completely vegetarian. It is an accepted thing, a normal thing. That is mostly due to the fact that millions are vegetarian there.
    I'm non- vegetarian and everyone constantly tells me, "If you're gonna eat meat, eat it once or twice a week." Can't do that though...

Yes it is ranked 2nd in the world for malnutrition in children, but what does that have to do with anything I said? Malnutrition is from not getting enough of ANY food, vegetarian or otherwise. I spoke about vegetarianism and non-vegetarianism, not malnutrition.
    Also, there's a difference between vegan and vegetarian. India has never been vegan. People there look at you like you're crazy if you say you don't drink milk and eat milk products.
    And fyi, being vegan, vegetarian or non-vegetarian does not have anything to do with being healthy. You can be healthy regardless of what you are. Please read carefully what I said.

I did. You said " It is an accepted thing, a normal thing. That is mostly due to the fact that millions are vegetarian there." Sorry, I don't distinguish between vegan and vegetarian - they're very similar to me.
    And my point was that although it's accepted and normal there, it doesn't automatically equal a healthier population. The caste system is also normal and accepted there - doesn't mean it's a good thing.
    Malnutrition refers to the situation where there is an unbalanced diet in which some nutrients are in excess, lacking or wrong proportion. For a predominantly vegetarian population, they seem to have a lot of unhealthy people living there - whether under-nourished or over-nourished (and they do have both problems there).

And with that I'm going to back out of this thread. It was not my intention to start a fight, I just don't think India is a good example of a healthy vegetarian population. Have a nice day kids - play nice.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere about a study that showed that vegans/vegetarians get more intense orgasms than people who eat meat. Do you want to debate that too?

Ok so seriously, **** those studies. Eat what feels right for you and don't judge those who eat differently. :noway:
  • Nicmarc523
    Options
    I don't have the link, but there has been some research linking low levels of omega-3s w/depression and anxiety, which some vegetarians tend to be low in. It looks like that study links it to mood disorders, not all mental disorders, so that makes sense. A little fish oil supplement can help.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    And what else changed in their diets when they became vegetarian? Did they replace meat with concentrated soy+gluten substitutes? Were they junk-food vegetarians? Did they have reliable sources of omega 3's, B12, and other micronutrients? Did they have family and friends who were supportive of their lifestyles, or who bashed them and tried to sabotage them? Why did they go vegetarian? Ethics? Healthy issues? Allergies/intolerances/malabsorption issues?