July Cycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have a cheap-o Target bike. I hadn't been on a bike in about 20 years and I wanted to see how it went before making a big investment. I did go and get a thick, self healing slime tube so I'm hoping that will help. I live in a very rural area with lots of fields and lots of weeds that have thorns that my husband calls "goat heads". I've tried to stay away from them, but that seems to be what keeps getting my tires.
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    2.36 miles this morning :-)
  • DryHeet
    DryHeet Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Today was a spin class for me. I went early and was able to ride for a total of 80 minutes. My distance was 30 miles (yeah, I wish that could happen on my road bike - for me, 30 miles is usually 2 hours on the road, not 80 minutes!)

I was thinking about my goal for the month ... if I do 3 spin classes a week and 1 road ride, then I think I can do 100 miles per week for a total of 400 for the month.

Good luck everyone!
    Susan
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I had hoped to try a little farther today, but my 9 year old son really wanted to come. I ended up with 4 incredibly slow miles and a very proud 9 year old.

exercise.png
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Got my new Trek Hybrid FX 7.3 two days ago for my fat *kitten* to ride.

5.4 miles the first day
    6 miles the second day.

My *kitten* hurts lol
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    Got my new Trek Hybrid FX 7.3 two days ago for my fat *kitten* to ride.

5.4 miles the first day
    6 miles the second day.

My *kitten* hurts lol

Congrats on the new wheels. I ride a Specialized Roubaix road bike. Have 3500 miles on it so far. Logged 12 miles today and had to cut it short due to the oppressive heat. Bib cycling compression shorts will help the butt.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am in, new to cycling, got a Scott Metrix 40, looooooove that thing!!!!

Today I went on a 13 mile ride, avg speed is 11 mph.

Ultimate goal is to do an MS150 next year, from Houston to Austin in 2 days ;)

I like the idea of a ticker to track july's progress
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I got 6 miles this morning. My children all wanted to come, so I ended up just riding to the park (1 mile) with the kids riding along and then doing laps while they played.

exercise.png
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Got my ticker, see if it works

exercise.png
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Sun July 1st - 75 min biking
    Weds Jul 4th - 45 min biking (Total 130min)
  • BonnieS63
    BonnieS63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join this challenge thread. I'm still building up my stamina, but really enjoy riding. I own a Trek 7.2 FX that I've had for a few years, but haven't ridden as much as I would like to. Perhaps joining this will help. Not sure exactly what I want to keep track of but for today:
    15 minutes - 2.25 miles (it's a start!)

~Bonnie

Adding the cool ticker someone above mentioned!

exercise.png
  • gonto1067
    gonto1067 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My wife introduced me to the site just last week so I'm pretty new around here!! But I would like to join up with the group. I'm gonna try to track both miles and time. So far this month.
    1.8 hours
    24 miles.
    I also am working on the couch to 5K, so I have set a goal of 30 miles per week on the bike to go with my walk/run.
    Hoping to hit 120 miles for the month.
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    hey all love to be a part of this thread

miles thus far

7/3 18.1 miles speed: 13 mph time: 78 minutes calories burned: 1745

7/4 23 miles speed 15 mph time: 92 minutes calories burned 2059

love cycling been doing it for 5 yrs will offer advice to anyone who needs it!!

goal for july: 500 miles
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't have a milage computer on my bike, so I try to estimate my miles per Mapquest. Last night I rode for 3 hours, about 10 - 12 MPH (not too fast since it's been hot around here and I only have an old, heavy mountain bike). So I'm guessing it was around 30 miles. (Actually, I rode for 3.75 hours, but that's including 3 long breaks I took to catch my breath!)

To everyone whose butt hurts: I bought a special, wide, super-gel-padded touring seat, and the butt bruises are mostly a thing of the past (unless I ride on a boardwalk - that hurts the next day no matter what.) No need for padded bike shorts if you have a super-padded seat.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I got 5.2 miles today. It was raining and it was wonderful!

exercise.png
  • DryHeet
    DryHeet Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello my cycling friends, I see great inputs from you all.

Today was a spin class day for me. I arrived about 20 minutes early and was able to work hard for 75 minutes. Mileage (according to spin bike) was 28 miles. Next class is Saturday.

(Kate, I envy your rain! I would dearly love some rain here)
    Susan
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    7/5/2012

evening ride temp 98 degrees.
    miles = 27.2
    time = 105 minutes
    speed = 15.5 mph
    calories burned 2350

miles achieved 68.5

miles left to reach goal: 431.5
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I got 5.2 miles today. No more rain and I sure missed it.

exercise.png
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    Got in 26 miles this morning. Left at the break of day to avoid the heat. 105 here today! Closing in on 100 miles for the week.
  • walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    OK, were do I get that ticker.????

July 2nd 50 min don't have my MPH or distance exactly. I think it was around 7 miles

I have a odometer on my bike so I will now record it on here from now on.