8 Reasons your Weight Training Results SUCK.

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Good stuff

Buying a notebook to use as a workout journal so you can record your lifts and ensure you make steady progress is one of the best training investments you can ever make.

Or you can use a smart phone app. I use Jefit.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    Good stuff

Buying a notebook to use as a workout journal so you can record your lifts and ensure you make steady progress is one of the best training investments you can ever make.

I would say that's true, however, you can pretty much track your workout progress on here like an electronic notebook, but really its up to the person. In my personal workouts, I do 30 reps, at a certain weight, once I am able to do 40+, I move to next heavier weight. As far as where You started in the beginning, that is a record to keep personally instead of trying to track all the way back on here. That way you can see difference in beginning to now. Great post.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options

Ah OK, I thought you were referring to standard weight training, my bad. In that case, you see people rest for 3 minutes between stations in a circuit? Wow haha...

As an fyi, there is a specific reason why people doing heavy weight strength routines rest for 3 to 5 minutes between sets. After a set of 4 to 8 reps of heavy weight, you rest for 3 to 5 minutes in order to allow the ATP-PC energy system to fully recover so that you have max energy and power to get the most out of the next set. This lead to a much higher failure threshold and enable a better workout of the muscle group.

The science behind it involves the energy from ATP losing a molecule during work and then making the remaining by product, ADP, unusable as an energy source. The time taken resting allows creatine in the system, whether from supplementation or naturally occuring, to replace the missing molecule and generate ATP for the next set. That help the next set to be far more effective.

So, those of us that you see resting for 3 to 5 minutes are not really dogging it! LOL :wink:

My point is, why rest for 3 minutes to do another set when you could be using those 3 minutes to do another body part? makes more sense to me and saves time. Not only that but helps to increase heart rate so you can even get in some cardio with weight training.

You are correct as is the other poster who responded if the person is doing circuit. If doing compounds working "full body" or larger muscle groups with free weights, it's a different story. I also agree with the other poster that 3 minutes is enough. I have trouble waiting that long. 5 minutes does seem a little excessive to me also.

I understand those who wait and want to do a specific number of reps with each machine, however, if you notice, most the people that have workout plans, only work out for 30-45 minutes. With taking 3 minute breaks after ever set, you would only be able to get about 3-4 machines. Though I guess that's good if you split your routine. The only thing I think is dumb about split routines is you are only working that body part 1, maybe 2 times a week. I get a workout 4 times a week with most of my body but take brakes in between so I have a recovery day.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Good stuff

This also seems like a pretty good option since 99% of people who are on this site probably has a cell phone.
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options

I think Jefit is excellent, for both beginner and intermediate lifters. There's no need to get the paid version either, the free version has pretty much everything you need.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I understand those who wait and want to do a specific number of reps with each machine, however, if you notice, most the people that have workout plans, only work out for 30-45 minutes. With taking 3 minute breaks after ever set, you would only be able to get about 3-4 machines. Though I guess that's good if you split your routine. The only thing I think is dumb about split routines is you are only working that body part 1, maybe 2 times a week. I get a workout 4 times a week with most of my body but take brakes in between so I have a recovery day.

Stronglifts 5x5 is only a 3 move routine. Big, compound, barbell moves like the article recommends.
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    bump
  • megami_girl
    megami_girl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great Article! Thanks for posting it!
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    bump
  • klovey92
    klovey92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump! thank you :)
  • MWojdak
    MWojdak Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good information to know.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    bump so I can finish later! Great read so far. :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CynthiaMayela
    Options
    nice article I should read this every day before any workout to keep in mind everything. thanks for sharing
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    2-9-11-Bearman-Cartoon-Information-Overload.png
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options

Stronglifts 5x5 is only a 3 move routine. Big, compound, barbell moves like the article recommends.

Go StrongLifts or go home! :D
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Go StrongLifts or go home! :D

I'm with ya!
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump bump bumpity bump