8 Reasons your Weight Training Results SUCK.

Options

Replies

• tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Doing high rep, circuit training on machines is usually referred to as metabolic training and is different than traditional strength training (which was the subject of the original article). I posted this earlier in this thread but I think most people missed it. Here Lyle McDonald explains the difference and the benefits and limitations of each:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

Absolutely this. I also use jefit app on my phone and do 5x5. Love the results so far. I will never go back to 12-15 reps again.
  • kdw_130
    kdw_130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for posting this!!!!!! I was so close to quitting and this was a slap in the face!!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Bumping to read later.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I needed this; i feel energized and ready to go. These are all things I already knew and STILL I allowed myself to get stuck in a rut. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • beastmodeactivated12
    Options
    Awesome and inspiring article! I can definitely see the mistakes in my past workouts! I guess what spoke out to me the most was rule number 1. I'm definitely motivated to push for higher weight!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump. :-)
  • karengetsfit
    karengetsfit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bumping for a more thorough read. Great information!
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Doing high rep, circuit training on machines is usually referred to as metabolic training and is different than traditional strength training (which was the subject of the original article). I posted this earlier in this thread but I think most people missed it. Here Lyle McDonald explains the difference and the benefits and limitations of each:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

That article is more informed than any I've read - I'm sold
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Bump
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump so I can read later when I have more time
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    #2: Your little pink dumbbells suck.
    Ladies, this one is for you. Step away from the 3lb pink dumbbells. The only reason you should ever go near them again is if you need a dumbbell-shaped paperweight to match some other pink desk accessory. Honestly, that's all they're really good for. Let me explain...

Hey! Wait a minute. I exercise with pink dumbells.

I bought some for 30 day shred two years ago, thinking they were 5kg, when they were 5lbs. Was like lifting a pencil.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I needed this ! Thank you!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's true! I never once thought I would end up looking like a man.

I went to a female MARINE for help. She told me women don't need to go over 15lbs.
    I never understood this reasoning. Are they seriously saying that mothers should no longer pick their child up after the age of 6 months because they are over 15lbs? Are they saying you should never carry groceries because the bags are over 15lbs? If not, then why the hell wouldn't you train people so that they are able to do the activies that they do in everyday normal life.. o.O
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    It's true! I never once thought I would end up looking like a man.

I went to a female MARINE for help. She told me women don't need to go over 15lbs.
    LOL why are there so many women here who assume that they are equals to men? Seriously even for someone with above average testosterone levels won't look like a man unless she does it with some "assistance". Not even the genetically freak ones would end up looking like a man. Just imagine if it were that easy to build muscle then there would be no skinny or fat men around & that bodybuilding wouldn't exist.

I have PCOS, above average testosterone levels & I lift MINIMUM of 35lbs. & maximum of 80lbs. but I never ended up looking like a man.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    #2: Your little pink dumbbells suck.
    Ladies, this one is for you. Step away from the 3lb pink dumbbells. The only reason you should ever go near them again is if you need a dumbbell-shaped paperweight to match some other pink desk accessory. Honestly, that's all they're really good for. Let me explain...

Hey! Wait a minute. I exercise with pink dumbells.

Its OK to start off with little pink dumbbells when you're very unfit & new to weight lifting since your main focus should be perfecting the form. Basically for a beginner, anything is better than nothing but after a while, you need to up the weights to the next heavier one.