How to stop night eating?

Options

Replies

• scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of water, sometimes two. I would also eat a handful of raw almonds and just take my time on them.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Perhaps plan for food during that time that are known to reduce hunger. If I have a sweet tooth I usually make some hot green tea and eat 70% cocoa chocolate with it (I love the green black organic mint chocolate). If I'm genuwinely hungry I eat raw veggies with hummus (I love the tuscan herb hummus) or apples and peanut butter, etc.

I really try to make a combination of fiber, fats, and protein and not over do it on carbs.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Hey guys i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestion as to how to stop night eating? Im one of those people that eat halfway decent throughout the day but as soon as nighttime comes i totally binge. Does anyone know of any tips or tricks such as mantras, foods that keep you full or any other ideas? I am also an insomniac and am usually up until 6am (i work afternoons)
    Need more information. Do you log your food? Are you hungry at night because your meals earlier were too light/not nutritious enough? What do you mean you work afternoons...what hours. When do you sleep (what hours). If everything is erratic, with no pattern, then you need a plan, schedule. Please share additional information.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This was a tough one for me when I was getting fit. Basically I did the following to control it:

1) Eliminated the easy, "stuff in my mouth" fast snacks - no pretzels, no chips, no cakes/cookies etc. The more time it takes to make, the less likely you are to go through the effort to eat it at night.
    2) Just basically got it set in my mind to have a time cut off of no more food - for me it is 7PM. I workout every night from 7 -8:30, so it is pretty easy not to eat then - ha.
    3) If I feel really hungry despite 1 and 2 above, I just try to eat a really small healthy item and then allow it 5 minutes to curb the hunger - a good example is a handful of sunflower seeds - eat them, wait a full 5 minutes and you will notice your are not so hungry anymore.
    4) My personal mantra is "eating this is not going to taste as good as not wearing it" cheesy but ti sometimes smacks me back in line with my regimen...
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This... and planning a late snack that is written ahead for the day to look forward to. Also, opening your diary to others helps keep you accountable and you may indulge in less calories if others know what you are doing.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm suffering the same thing. I do great all day long but then the night hits and I can't sleep and I just lose it.

I have tried saving calories so that I can have something to eat and notruin my calorie count.

I try setting aside something to eat so I know what I will/can eat without messing up my count.

I know that my mind does not always function well when it's late and I'm not sleeping and I just want to sleep, so I've written a big sign telling myself what I can eat tonight, instead of just going for the junk food or whatever I can find. Sigh: Eat blueberries and yogurt.

It is a BIG problem for me, and I would appreciate any other ideas to get through. I know that if I could just go to bed and sleep, that I would be a lot skinnier because I wouldn't be getting all the extra calories during the nght.

GOod luck!!!

try melatonin.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say schedule a snack for later in the night. If you like to eat at night, that might just be what you do naturally. Save up your calories and plan for it and then you'll be on track.

Alternatively, if you really want to train yourself to stop eating at night, remember you eat something filling at your dinner. Protein and fiber, and a glass or two of water. After that, you just have to give yourself a really hard rule not to do it anymore, no matter how much you might want to. Breaking habits is hard, so you have to be hard right back at it!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm a save calories for a late night snack person. I'd rather eat healthier during the day so I can have that last snack before bed. And it doesn't have to be alot of calories. I work with what I have left. If I have a couple hundred I might have chips and salsa, if I have ~75, I'll have a pudding cup, if it's ~35 I'll have a half cup of berries. It's just a balancing game. It gets easier once you know how many calories are in what and can choose without having to look it up. But that comes with time.

Oh and drink water ;-)
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    You got a lot of good tips but I'll add one more. I OFFICIALLY close the kitchen when I am done for the day. Dishes are cleaned, food is put away, I get one big glass of water to go. Then I turn off the lights and announce to the family that the kitchen is closed. I don't go back in to make snacks or drinks for anyone. I wish I had a door to shut - hee hee. Seriously though it helps me not keep wandering back in there and mindlessly snacking.
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a save calories for a late night snack person. I'd rather eat healthier during the day so I can have that last snack before bed. And it doesn't have to be alot of calories. I work with what I have left. If I have a couple hundred I might have chips and salsa, if I have ~75, I'll have a pudding cup, if it's ~35 I'll have a half cup of berries. It's just a balancing game. It gets easier once you know how many calories are in what and can choose without having to look it up. But that comes with time.

Oh and drink water ;-)
    I like your ideas too and you have had a great weight loss success too. Congrats to you!
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Eat a dinner later (like others mentioned) that is higher in protein and has some fiber in in it, or drink a glass of metamucil. It makes you feel fuller and more satisfied. I also save calories for a little snack:)
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've only been using MFP for about a week, but I've been dealing with binge eating disorder my whole life and in the past 2 years, have discovered some great tools to stop binging. I've managed to stop binging all together, so hope that some of these tools also help you :)

Here are a few things that have helped me along my eating disorder/binge eating journey

-Eating every few hours, but pushing meal times back to ensure that I am eating at the same time as everyone else I will be around, so I don''t feel the need to eat twice.

-Exercising at night keeps me busy, stops me from eating more during the day (because when I exercise I get really hungry and want more calories than are allotted,) and sets up a night time routine; exercise, shower, meditate, sleep I also find that if I exercise at night, I'm more likely to avoid eating because I feel proud of myself for burning those extra calories.

-Practice meditation. Mindfulness has been an incredible tool for me when it comes to thinking about food, what is inspiring the need to eat (boredom, emotions, etc)

-I only keep foods that have to be prepared in the house. In the beginning I found that if I was in binge mode and wanted to eat everything in the kitchen, having to prepare the meal would take the power out of the insatiable desire. As I progressed and gained control of urges to binge, I found that I would start to prepare a meal and end up turning a boiling pot off or tossing 1/2 prepared food out, knowing that I didn't really want to eat it.

-If you've got to eat, air popped popcorn, celery, and cucumber often give me the crunch I need to keep me from snacking on foods that have higher calories

Good Luck!!
  • slimmedown12
    Options
    try taking a protein shake before you go to bed. It fills you up and also helps speed up your metabolism in the night.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    low carb diet helps me a lot too btw.
    it curbs my appetite and makes it so easy for me to stay on track.

Agree... I'm a total night eater too. I often don't eat until 3 pm then push my meals back to save most of my calories at night.. My dinner is ten to eleven every night. I'm usually not even hungry during the day and of course low carb helps more than anything ..
  • xiadu02
    xiadu02 Posts: 9
    Options
    I keep 2 bottles of water on my night stand every night. When I feel the cravings coming on, I drink. The full sensation usually kills my craving for food. Try it...It might help.
  • lmustoe
    lmustoe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in ideas here.....my problem is waking up in the middle of the night and eating junk. I guess we need to find something better to do than eat! LOL I feel like I get the munchies.
    ME TOO!! I find myself waking up and thinking I don't care and eat fruit snacks or a cerial bar or whatever. Its like your half asleep and your inhibitions are gone lol. I do find that if I cave about an hour before bed and eat half a banana or a small bowl of low cal cerial it helps and I don't wake up in the middle os the night. As for getting rid of the night cravings I dunno. I am worse when I really cut my carbs throughout the day. Guess it's something you just have to work at and train yourself not to do.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in ideas here.....my problem is waking up in the middle of the night and eating junk. I guess we need to find something better to do than eat! LOL I feel like I get the munchies.
    ME TOO!! I find myself waking up and thinking I don't care and eat fruit snacks or a cerial bar or whatever. Its like your half asleep and your inhibitions are gone lol. I do find that if I cave about an hour before bed and eat half a banana or a small bowl of low cal cerial it helps and I don't wake up in the middle os the night. As for getting rid of the night cravings I dunno. I am worse when I really cut my carbs throughout the day. Guess it's something you just have to work at and train yourself not to do.

Might be a result of too much calorie restriction. If there are hundreds of calories remaining, atop your 500 calorie deficit, your body feels hungry and tells you to eat.
  • bernieboom1
    Options
    I read somewhere that when you are eating out of boredom rather than actual physical hunger, your food cravings only last around 20 minutes to half and hour.... perhaps you could find something to do that takes about this long so you can "ride it out"
    Examples:
    Crossword
    Read a chapter in a book
    Have a quick tidy or clean
    Do some laundry
    Read a magazine
    Play a computer game like solitaire or minesweeper
    Go for a walk (helps if you have a dog!!)
    Knitting? :s
    Have a relaxing bath
    Give yourself a pedicure/manicure
    Check the news on the internet

I think you get the idea lol.

Also, lately as i have been dieting, I find it helpful to think of my progress when I crave something naughty... and i visualise how I want to be... healthy, strong, confident. Then how I will be in a year if I give up .... suddenly that sweet treat doesn't seem as appealing!
    Good Luck :)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    am i horrible? i don't skip night eating. i often have a piece of fruit or glass of milk in the evening before bed. sometimes (like tonight) i have BOTH! lol i had a banana and a 1/2 cup of skim milk.
  • darjeelingexpress
    darjeelingexpress Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use two already-mentioned things: one that I close the kitchen and just do not eat after dinner unless it's a dire emergency (stomach growling), and second, I eat more fat in dinner than probably most people do - fat is what keeps me from being hungry.

If you're not comfortable eating something higher in fat, then at least reduce the carbs with dinner that get your blood sugar up, just in time to crash as bed time approaches. More protein, and cut the refined carbs from that meal if you possibly can.