Vegetarian diet and mental disorders

Options

Replies

• MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I don't have the link, but there has been some research linking low levels of omega-3s w/depression and anxiety, which some vegetarians tend to be low in. It looks like that study links it to mood disorders, not all mental disorders, so that makes sense. A little fish oil supplement can help.

You don't need fish oil in order to get Omega-3s
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Maybe vegetarians have a higher degree of sensitivity in their makeup. This can make them sensitive to the plight of animals but also more sensitive to stress in relationships, work, school, etc.

Interesting idea, I wonder if there is a link there.

To add to the discussion:
    I've been vegetarian my whole life so I've learned how to meet certain dietary needs that I think a lot of "young" vegetarians forget. It's really not as simple as "I'll just stop eating meat" you have to be conscious about the other foods your eating in place of it especially if meat made up the majority of your diet.
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    woe I was depressed while eating meat and now you say I'm gonna be depressed being vegetarian dang I'm screwed! lol
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just want to conclude my participation in this topic by saying that I do apologize if my wording offended anyone. I was using sensitivity in the sense of "the strength of an emotional reaction," not in of a kindness or tact kind of a way. But I can see that the word sensitive can also be a loaded term. And finally, we can all be more sensitive to some things than others. :flowerforyou:
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Just want to conclude my participation in this topic by saying that I do apologize if my wording offended anyone. I was using sensitivity in the sense of "the strength of an emotional reaction," not in of a kindness or tact kind of a way. But I can see that the word sensitive can also be a loaded term. And finally, we can all be more sensitive to some things than others. :flowerforyou:

I didn't think it was offensive lol I understood what you meant. I guess you could say vegetarians have more of a "gentle soul."
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I did not read every single comment leading to this one. However, I think everyone that is pissed off because vegetarians like to talk about the lifestyle, are just experiencing guilt or worry about their own lifestyle and don't know how to handle it. I know there are vegetarians that can be over the top, that is true of ANY person with a set of beliefs or a lifestyle. Take, christians for example, a great bunch really but sometimes it is just TOO MUCH. That doesn't mean you should judge everyone with that idea or lifestyle that way.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Navajos actually have a word that roughly translates to MeatHungry.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Here's a study that suggests that eating vegetarian IMPROVES mood:

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-11-9.pdf
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but I can believe that. There is a very clear link between depressive disorders and a lack of omega 3 in the diet, and a lot of vegetarians don't take flax seed supplements which would solve this.

I have been a vegetarian for 22 years and am a great advocate of making sure you get enough omega 3. Most vegetarians get too much omega 6 from olive oil, and don't balance it out with omega 3 supplements. I guess it's not an obvious thing to do, it is not a nutrient we learn about in school (even in A level biology).

So yeah, if you become a vegetarian without being very knowledgable about nutrition it is likely you will get depression.

I still don't think it justifies the disgusting mass fishing methods most developed nations seem to employ. You only need flax, not cod liver.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Interesting; however, I suffered from depression BEFORE I became a vegetarian, and not once since. Gotta love science and research, but I have found that research can be manipulated to fit the desired findings of whomever is funding it. Just my two cents worth...

Exactly what basis for the statement that "I have found that research can be manipulated to fit the desired findings of whomever is funding it" do you have? Are you trained in any type of scientific research? What is your background? How much experience do you have? Believe it or not, not everyone doing research is out there trying to manipulate their results. And as a working statistician, I can tell you, it's actually more difficult than you think it is to do so. While I see a lot of studies with questionable methods, which may or may not effect the outcome of the study, this is more often a result of poor training of the researchers involved than any specific motivation.

I'm also a near vegan with a long history of psychological issues, all of which pre-date my conversion to a veg*n diet.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    of course, meat-eaters don't suffer from any mental disorders. that's clear.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    of course, meat-eaters don't suffer from any mental disorders. that's clear.

:drinker:
  • its_your_day
    Options
    Maybe vegetarians have a higher degree of sensitivity in their makeup. This can make them sensitive to the plight of animals but also more sensitive to stress in relationships, work, school, etc.

VERY good point. Thanks! Kim
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. Other posters have brought up good points. There might be a few things that brought about these findings.

1) Maybe people who go vegetarian DO tend to be more "sensitive" to the world around them.

2) Maybe vegetarians have different brain functioning due to less fats in the diet. Studies have shown that "good" fats feed the brain, so it would stand to reason that animal fats would affect the brain as well.

3) Maybe following a vegetarian lifestyle effects basic hormonal function.

4) There could also be something to what one person posted about lower primates having more anxiety. Maybe vegetarianism does set off some sort of subconscious mind game?

I do also think, however, that it is possible to manipulate almost any study to reflect the conclusion you are expecting. Did it say if any of the researchers themselves are vegetarian?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    What I find amazing reading this is the number of people who seem to be arguing that meat production is better for the environment when it is palpably worse in EVERY SINGLE WAY. It's worse in terms of land use, greenhouse gas production, deforestation, water consumption, and that's not even going into deep sea trawling or animal welfare. Meat eaters have exactly NO moral leg to stand on, not in any direction. Meat eating is worse for the entire planet. This has been proved in every single study on the subject ever. It's not even disputed by the meat industry.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've had people tell me I'm f-ing crazy for being a veg, but besides that I'm relatively normal. At least the voices tell me I am.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Interesting study!!! It definitely caught my interest.

Who knows really! I personally think it depends on the person, you can get totally healthy vegetarians and totally healthy meat eaters, really depends on how they do it and every other little detail of planning their diets and moderation and exercise and genetics so on. Maybe some of these vegetarians are also depressed because they live in a busy city and are single? :S Strange!!!
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I agree with Flaxmilk. Thinking about people walking around, walking graves. Knowing the truths about our culture makes me really upset. Understanding the suffering and pain that is all around us, it can be depressing. Most vegetarians are not only involved in animal rights, they are concerned for the bigger picture as well, other activism. The planet and the survival of our species. Human rights. Human welfare. I am a vegetarian, and I may be more prone to feelings of sadness. It is not my diet, it is my awareness and the general state of everything.

This.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    What we have learned from this thread:

1. Some meat eaters think that vegetarians suffer from a superiority complex.
    2. Some vegetarians apparently do suffer from a superiority complex claiming that they are predisposed to mental health conditions like anxiety disorders etc because their "compassion" for animals leads them to have a moral high ground that is much higher than meat eaters through their complexity of compassion.
    3. The vegetarians on this and many other threads constantly strive to prove and validate their lifestyle while the meat eaters ridicule the lifestyle and constantly disprove it.
    4. Both sides make some generalizations in epic proportions, quite amusing really i.e..e Vegans are mentally challenged/ carnivores are insensitive pricks.
    5. The initial case study is extremely flawed with one or two people ACTUALLY reading the study and it clear indicates that their is no causal relationship between vegetarianism and mental health issues yet 5 pages of thread continues from it.
    6. This like most posts on any public forum are much like any other discussion of politics and religion. Maybe diet needs to be added to the list of forbidden topics to talk about on a first date, Religion, Politics, Sex and Diet.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    ^^

7. People are extremely sensitive to the word 'sensitive' and assume that people that use it are claiming a moral high ground despite it being a morally neutral term. People who are more sensitive (prone to stronger physical and emotional reactions) are possibly more predisposed to various mental health conditions. Someone mentioned Borderline Personality--research is suggesting that many people with BPD are biologically more predisposed to sensitivity and difficulty with emotion regulation, though this wouldn't be enough usually to cause BPD. Just as having a higher degree of sensitivity (strength of a reaction) wouldn't be enough to "cause" vegetarianism. (See the example of a very sensitive person who does not have a moral problem with eating meat. Just because they are more sensitive does not mean they are going to be a vegetarian.) On the other hand, someone with problems morally with eating meat who experiences LESS emotional reaction will be more likely to be able to "turn off" in order to avoid cognitive dissonance because they enjoy eating meat, despite having moral problems with it. (My husband will say that if we had pigs and chickens and cows, he would be a vegetarian, and he admits that if I wanted to eat cats, which we do have, he'd be furious and horrified. Because he can react less strongly, it would require more stimulus-the animal being in front of him or something he can't detach from-to change his decision.) He is not insensitive, but I don't think he would argue that of the two of us, I have a higher degree of sensitivity--emotional reactions--to not just meat but to most issues. I don't feel morally superior to him for this and often envy his more laidback abilities.)

8. If people who are more sensitive are more prone to emotional disorders, it's logical to question if the reason vegetarians have more emotional disorders is because they are more sensitive.

9. No vegetarian here actually called someone an insensitive prick (that I read) while others did call vegetarians half baked and liberals as having a mental disorder.

10. Compassionate =/= sensitive.

11. I know I said I was done with this thread. My bad.