Too Hot to Cook/Grill Ideas?

Options
CuteMonkeyGal
CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
So it's been in the upper 80s/90s this past week and next week looks to be more of the same. I've had about all the sandwiches, salads, and wraps I can stand. I don't want to eat tv dinners because they usually aren't very filling and are full sodium. And, I also don't want to use the grill in 90 degree temps plus ridiculous humidity.

Any ideas for eating dinner during this heat?

Replies

• Narcissus112
    Options
    Lately Ive been addicted to the frozen steamer vegetables you cook in the microwave. My favorite is the macaroni and cheese with broccoli. I also like steaming vegetables in the rice cooker, which takes longer but is fresher and definitely cheaper. :)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I've been making a lot of stir fry, I use steamed veggies, with either steak or chicken and I put it over rice. It's delicious.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    There are days where an ice-cold plate of veggies, some cut-up chicken and a homemade dip is more than sufficient for a nice, easy meal.

And then... like yesterday, I decided to have one of my frozen protein smoothies... I froze up some fresh strawberries, raspberries and blackberries and toss them in the blender, my protein powder and Silk Light Vanilla Soy milk... OHHHHHHHHH that lunch was AWESOME! And it held me until dinner time when it was alot cooler to cook a meal.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I always grill on hot days, I don't like to heat up the apartment with the oven or stove... that's kind of the "point" for me, anyhow.

Stir frys
    Rotisserie chickens at the store
    Fruit and veggie plates
    You can buy precooked pastas and chicken at the store, add some pesto and yum.

Your pretty limited if its quick or cold food.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have a Cuisinart Griddler and I've been using that a lot recently. Temps here have been in the upper 90s/low 100s for the past week and will be this week as well! I love the Griddler because it can close to make grilled sandwiches or cook things both sides at once, or it can be opened to cook larger items. Also, the grill plates can be flipped to a smooth griddle surface. I've made grilled sandwiches, veggies, chicken, fish, etc.

Another thing I love to cook on hot days is a quick stir fry. I toss in some meat, veggies, and sauce and it's quick and tasty.
  • Paiche
    Paiche Posts: 92
    Options
    -Greek salad (cucumber, feta, tomatoes, EVOO, parsely)
    -Homemade healthy sushi ( i like to make ti myself because i don't like the rice or raw fish so i use cooked meat and more veggies)
    -cottage cheese w/ fruit and some seeds/nuts sprinkled on top
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Potato or pasta salad, bean salad for a no cook option, straight out of the can. Search on the net for recipes. Hot dogs or hamburgers grilled outside, we grill boneless chicken thighs on the grill. Marinate them first for extra flavor. steak on the grill, I like mushrooms sauteed in butter to go with the steak and some potato salad and some corn on the cob. eat outside in the yard.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Grill - is that indoor or outdoor cooking? Do you guys in the USA barbecue much?

During the summer, here in Australia, I cook almost exclusively on the barbecue. It keeps the house cooler and I love quick cooked meats and seafood from the barbecue with salad or barbecued vegetables.

Gas fuelled barbecues are pretty cheap these days.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    turn on your grill. get some heavy duty foil (or a few pieces of regular)

cut up zucchini, onions, bok choy, garlic, peppers, celery, etc and put it in the foil.
    fold it up, throw it on the grill/bbq .
    broccoli/cauli is good in it too and brussels sprouts. omg. i could eat this every single day.

you could also add potatoes if you're so inclined, and not watching carb intake.

don't forget the oil/butter, salt n pepper or whatever seasonings you like (montréal seasoning is wicked killer)

alternatively, you can just plank the zucchini and cut the potaotes in half and do them right on the grill. (oil and season liberally!)

grill a steak, some pork chops, chicken, whatever.

no dishes if you eat right out of the foil.

okay a fork. and the tongs to take it off the grill. and maybe a platter.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    Grill - is that indoor or outdoor cooking? Do you guys in the USA barbecue much?

During the summer, here in Australia, I cook almost exclusively on the barbecue. It keeps the house cooler and I love quick cooked meats and seafood from the barbecue with salad or barbecued vegetables.

grilling is bbq'ing in the states. propane tank. so easy peasy.
  • cramernh
    Options

For me (I live in New Hampshire) - I dont care if there is 6ft of snow, my grills are going! I have both propane-fueled and a wood-fired grill complete with smoker!!!!!!!!

Was actually considering getting up around 5am to start the smoker for some pulled pork and smoked chicken for the 4th!
  • caraiselite
    Options

For me (I live in New Hampshire) - I dont care if there is 6ft of snow, my grills are going! I have both propane-fueled and a wood-fired grill complete with smoker!!!!!!!!

Was actually considering getting up around 5am to start the smoker for some pulled pork and smoked chicken for the 4th!

pulled pork?! bring me some, thanks :D
  • cramernh
    Options

pulled pork?! bring me some, thanks :D

Ive been busy the past few weeks getting my homemade spice rubs made up ahead of time. Just made a rub for chicken that is now a permanent recipe in my book.....
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My old grill finally bit the big one last year. Seriously - the bottom fell out of it but I had used it so much it deserved to go in peace lol. It's been 104 here and I really can't afford to just go buy another one but you guys are tempting me. I miss my grill so much and the George Foreman is just not the same :-(.
  • bcollins500
    bcollins500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My wife and I griill our vegetables all the time on the grill. Especially aspargus, bell peppers, onions, potatoes and spaghetti squash. We also like to grill chicken, shrimp and turkey too. Yes, lean meat too. :smile:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot when it gets like this. It doesn't heat up the house and I can still be lazy and not actually have to do much work to get a good meal done. Chicken and salsa in there now. Chicken tacos and taco salads for the rest of the week when that is done.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot when it gets like this. It doesn't heat up the house and I can still be lazy and not actually have to do much work to get a good meal done. Chicken and salsa in there now. Chicken tacos and taco salads for the rest of the week when that is done.

Wow - great minds must think alike :-). Since my grill bit the big one I've been using my crock pot several times a week. I have Chicken in mine right now also but it is the Santa Fe Chicken recipe from skinnytaste.com. Check it out. It looks and smells amazing with the Rotel and fresh cilantro. Will let you know how it really is after we eat it tonight if you like! I'm planning on tacos and salads with mine as well.
  • veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Wow - great minds must think alike :-). Since my grill bit the big one I've been using my crock pot several times a week. I have Chicken in mine right now also but it is the Santa Fe Chicken recipe from skinnytaste.com. Check it out. It looks and smells amazing with the Rotel and fresh cilantro. Will let you know how it really is after we eat it tonight if you like! I'm planning on tacos and salads with mine as well.

I also advocate for the crockpot in the warmer months.. I've heard of people plugging them in their garage or outside on the deck to avoid the heat of anything (although it isn't much).
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Some of you metioned grilling veggies/potatoes. How you do grill them / recipies - oil, seasonings, wrap in foil or no, grill basket, temp, time? How do you time it if you're also grilling meats?
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    Grilled portabella mushrooms...so addicted! maranate with balsamic vinger a bit of olive oil and some garlic powder.... can slap it on a bun to make a burger...