What do you know of that your kids don't

Options
timmy2strikes
timmy2strikes Posts: 99 Member
One of my employees is 19. We both came into work early so I could teach her how to run some reports. Yesterday was my birthday and my mom gave me some childhood pictures. I thought I would bring them in to show my team starting with the 19 year old. That is when things went oh so wrong and I felt oh so old. LOL

Turns out she has no idea what acid wash jeans are, has never seen a rotary phone, has never heard of Air Supply and thinks Josie and the ***** Cats was originally a live action movie from the 90's.

What have your kids or young friends never seen or heard of?

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    pretty much everything. my kid is 1.5 years.

but i will say that i started driving a car i borrowed from my grandfather that has a tape player in it. there are probably plenty of kids who will never know what that is. A record player is classic, and some people like the sound of vinyl, so those will be around for a while. you never hear "man, i love the classic sound of a cassette tape." so i think it will fade away to Bolivia*

*Mike Tyson reference
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When my 14 year old daughter was about 2, she needed glasses. Since she couldn't tell letters yet, they pulled out picture charts for her eye exam. There was a photo of a rotary phone and she had no clue what it was! LOL!!!

My kids have no idea that TVs didn't use to come with remotes (that's what us kids were for...). And when I told there we only used to get channels 6.10, 13 and sometimes PBS, they didn't believe me!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    has never seen a rotary phone

tragic, those were fun, haha. I'm 20 and I know what that is, and have used one.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and I know what that stuff is most of the people around my age do. I had one girl in my class who was a couple years older and she had never heard of Van Halen, that blew everyone away.

So don't feel old lol she's definitely in the minority.
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    My 15 yr old saw a rotary phone at a friends house last year and had no clue on how to dial out. It was entertaining watching him. Two nights ago I was talking about the tape deck on my stereo system, I had to explain what a cassette tape was.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    I have one of those new record player /tape player/cd player things...my son had no idea what the record player was.. or what a record was. but he is only 5.

My 13 yr old niece didnt know what Atari was.

In high school (around 1997) a classmate had no idea that Boys II Men didnt originally sing the song Yesterday (beatles)

I dated a guy in college who didnt know Tina Turner sang Cant Stand the Rain instead of Missy Elliots sample of it
  • heatherlee33
    heatherlee33 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My son is 13 almost 14 and lately we got netflicks...since then my husband and I have been schooling him on movies, most of which are inappropriate but oh so funny! Like...Jay and Silent Bob, Fire in the Sky, and other funny ones from when I was a kid. Plus...we pulled out the VCR to show him some old ones and he couldn't figure out how to work the thing. When I tried to show him how to rewind a movie he just looked at me all dumbstruck and said...."This sucks!" Which rewinding does, I had forgotten all about it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Having to get up to change the tv station on the tv; and subsequently losing or breaking the knob, so having to do it with pliers.

Not having a microwave.

Everyone not carrying arond their phones.

People being more social. They will never understand that aspect.

Not having a computer. Lol.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    When I went to AIT most of the girls had no idea what Fraggle Rock was.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Teaching my son about a VHS was pretty funny, but I introduced him to that years ago (he's 6) and have tried to make sure he is aware of other things like record players, tape players, etc. etc.

The other day my niece (5) was all excited to get to watch a movie on VHS. Hearing her explain it with excited big eyes was comical. "But it's not a CD, you put it in like this *while making the motions*....come see it!!" LoL
  • timmy2strikes
    Options
    How about...

8 Track Players

Actual full body phone booths (Like Superman used... not sure what he does now that there are no phone booths to change in.)

Black and White televsion sets
  • timmy2strikes
    Options
    I just noticed that MFP put stars in place of the word in Josie and ***** Cats.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I pulled out my Sega Genesis one time when my nephews were over. They were about 4 and 6 at the time. They were floored by the fact that the games werent on discs.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I have a lot of younger friends. I was talking to one of them not long ago and I mentioned having a Skip-It when I was little and she was like "A what?". She's 22.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My son is now 25 but several years ago we were in a thrift store and he saw some records and had no idea what they were. He asked me what the big cd's were used for. :laugh:
  • timmy2strikes
    Options
    My son is now 25 but several years ago we were in a thrift store and he saw some records and had no idea what they were. He asked me what the big cd's were used for. :laugh:

A friend of mine collets the old movie laser disks that are as big as an album record. I bet he would get a kick out of seing thoses compared to a dvd now days. LOL
  • timmy2strikes
    Options
    Did anyone else have a Commador 64 computer or an Intelevision Game System?
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Their father.

Just kidding. I don't have any kids.
    -wtk
  • BNA_Mommy
    BNA_Mommy Posts: 36
    Options
    My 16 yr old has no clue what good music is! LOL

I always make her listen to my stations when we are in the car (i listen to a wide variety of music). One day, a New Kids on the Block song came on from the 1990s (back when I was a teenager), so I randomly asked her who it was...her response: "Journey???????" HOW IN THE H-E- double hockey sticks do you confuse a teeny bopper band with JOURNEY?????
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    My 16 yr old has no clue what good music is! LOL

I always make her listen to my stations when we are in the car (i listen to a wide variety of music). One day, a New Kids on the Block song came on from the 1990s (back when I was a teenager), so I randomly asked her who it was...her response: "Journey???????" HOW IN THE H-E- double hockey sticks do you confuse a teeny bopper band with JOURNEY?????

I'm confused. Is New Kids on the Block your go-to "good" music example? Or is that Journey? Either way, yuck.
    -wtk