Giving up diet fizzy drinks???

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm with ya. I know those artifical sweetners are just chemicals, I know they still raise my insulin levels and make me crave sugar and store fat. But they just seem like a free sweet treat. I supose it really is true that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, and you can't have your cake and eat it too.

My mom-in-law once gave me a bunch of cases of sparkling mineral water and I would guzzle that by the bottle, maybe with some lemon in it. When I had those around I wasn't interested in the diet pop, so I think that's what I'm going to start buying instead of diet pop. Give it a try. It doesnt even have to be Perrier to San Pelagrino, get sme cheapy soda water and pop some lemon juice in there.

Everything is a "chemical." Water? That's a chemical. Again, what evidence do you have that non-caloric sweeteners raise your insulin levels, make you crave sugar, or store fat? If you're eating at maintenance or below, how could you possibly store fat?
  • scotrunner
    scotrunner Posts: 92
    Options
    I gave up fizzy drinks a few weeks ago. I saw several articles claiming that diet drinks make your body expect something sweet and usually cause us to eat something sweet to compensate and the other thing which struck a cord was a crude quote on a fitness website which basically said 'I never drink diet coke because you only ever see fat people drinking them'. I know that is not true but it did make me think they don't do anybody any good. My dentist also highly recommends people avoid them so I've stopped and I don't miss them. I mainly drink black tea with milk (I'm Scottish and its our culture!!) or plain water. I'm happy :)
  • FitLink
    Options
    Oh, and reading through these posts, its amazing to me that people are actually defending soft drinks, Anything that can eat through metal or concrete or ANYTHING that contains Aspartame cannot be defended as okay for the human body....puhlease!

Care to provide expert sources, or are we to assume you are an expert? If so, what are your credentials?

Tomatoes can also eat through metals and concrete, etc, as can oranges, and pretty much any citrus fruits. They are all, like soda, acidic. Less acidic than the inside of you stomach though. Can we assume digestive juices are also bad for you? Please provide some actual evidence, rather than scare tactics.

Arg. Anyone who is reading current material on nutrition and health has read several studies that show how asparatame has negative health consequences and raises insulin levels (causing fat storage and sugar cravings among other things). As "pedestrians" of science we're not always writing down our sources for future reference, but reputable health magazines quote studies form universities etc. I don't let the results of a study into my memory until I've deamed it to be of a reputable source.

I do accept your point that there are other acidic foods out there that are good for us, but acid content is not the only con of soda. That reminds me, more studies have been done on the carsonogenic effects of the caramel colour in cola as well.

And I'm supposed to take your word for all this, right? You can't provide the experts' studies, and I'm to assume the methodology is good and you've related it all accurately? Because you can't spell carcinogenic, and didn't bother to look it up. Why would I assume you got your other facts right? It's REALLY easy to look up the spelling of a word, yet you couldn't be bothered.

My guess is you haven't read ANY actual studies. You've read popular press opinion pieces about the studies, but didn't bother to read the actual studies and check the methodology. And I couldn't care less what you consider a "reputable source." NO POPULAR PRESS is a "reputable source." Health magazines are not "reputable sources." Universities, accepted medical journals and science journals, medical schools--all reputable sources of medical information. Health magazines? NOT reputable sources. They are there to SELL MAGAZINES, not inform you.

And I'm glad you accept that acid doesn't make diet soda bad, because your fizzy water is just as acid as diet coke. Fizzy drinks get their acid (carbonic acid) from the carbonation, not the flavoring or sweetener, so if you were trying to avoid the acid, the fizzy waters would be counterproductive. Just so you're aware.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I gave up soda and sweet tea 11 months ago and don't miss it at all. Now it's water or Crystal Light.

And Crystal Light is different from diet soda...how? It's water, flavoring, and sweetener, just like diet soda.
  • MichelleLee73
    Options
    Oh, and reading through these posts, its amazing to me that people are actually defending soft drinks, Anything that can eat through metal or concrete or ANYTHING that contains Aspartame cannot be defended as okay for the human body....puhlease!

Care to provide expert sources, or are we to assume you are an expert? If so, what are your credentials?

Tomatoes can also eat through metals and concrete, etc, as can oranges, and pretty much any citrus fruits. They are all, like soda, acidic. Less acidic than the inside of you stomach though. Can we assume digestive juices are also bad for you? Please provide some actual evidence, rather than scare tactics.

Those are natural acids, not chemicals invented in some laboratory to make sure people get addicted to products to ensure sales forever! Not to mention, I don't know too many people who consume unhealthy amounts of tomatoes or oranges due to dependency, so the likelihood of those foods causing tooth, esophageal, stomach or intestinal rot is not too high! You can spew all the scientific BS you want, but the only proof I need is the way I feel! i gave up sodas and I don't feel like the walking dead anymore and when I have had a weak moment and had a soda,, I instantly bloated up and felt like crap. You will never convince me that is okay! Scientist aren't used to people using their own brains, they think if they add the words "scientifically proven" that we all roll over dead and believe all the crap.... The world is changing. People are taking more interest in their health, they are educating themselves and most of all we have learned to listen to our bodies. Sorry if that disappoints you.
  • FitLink
    Options

Those are natural acids, not chemicals invented in some laboratory to make sure people get addicted to products to ensure sales forever! Not to mention, I don't know too many people who consume unhealthy amounts of tomatoes or oranges due to dependency, so the likelihood of those foods causing tooth, esophageal, stomach or intestinal rot is not too high! You can spew all the scientific BS you want, but the only proof I need is the way I feel! i gave up sodas and I don't feel like the walking dead anymore and when I have had a weak moment and had a soda,, I instantly bloated up and felt like crap. You will never convince me that is okay! Scientist aren't used to people using their own brains, they think if they add the words "scientifically proven" that we all roll over dead and believe all the crap.... The world is changing. People are taking more interest in their health, they are educating themselves and most of all we have learned to listen to our bodies. Sorry if that disappoints you.

I foresee a return to times pre-computer, internet, and reduced health in our future if people keep believing science is bad. We can blame computers, the internet, and the fact that we live to be closer to eighty years old as opposed to the twenty years our ancestors lived, thanks entirely to science and scientists. Sorry if that disappoints you.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I started to drink more water.

Some how the water started replacing my diet drinks.

I don't know how it happened...but I don't drink anything else but water and coffee (one or two cups in the morn). For me it just sort of happened...
  • MichelleLee73
    Options

I foresee a return to times pre-computer, internet, and reduced health in our future if people keep believing science is bad. We can blame computers, the internet, and the fact that we live to be closer to eighty years old as opposed to the twenty years our ancestors lived, thanks entirely to science and scientists. Sorry if that disappoints you.

Most science is spectacular. It's the science that makes guinea pigs and zombies out of the greater population that SUCKS! Like the science that says that synthetic ANYTHING is better than the natural alternatives. Scientists that want to pump our kids full of preservatives and additives and then make money off of them as adults when they need chemo or become insulin dependent.... they don't do anything to help this world, they just get off on trying to control it! I am done with you, time for my workout...or should I rely on a scientist invented diet pill to do all the work for me?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of seltzer. Giving up all soda was life-changing for me, in a positive way.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've given them up too.
    Last week I had 1, and I realized I had no desire to drink any water the rest of that day, so no more.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Why give them up? I know they're not the best for us but you can find a doctor anywhere to say the same for everything we eat, organic, diet, low fat, low sodium, etc included.

I did switch from full calorie to zero calorie sodas only because I need all the cals I can get for my food. But giving up sodas completely has never crossed my mind. Add enough water in there and you're good to go.
  • CatMarlett
    CatMarlett Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello-
    Diet drinks are defintly hard to give up. I have the SodaStreamer. I carbonate the water and add lemon or lime. That has helped me cut down on the diet sodas.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi I am stuck in a major rut at the moment & was wondering how have people cut out their fizzy diet drinks??

Sadly I do drink a lot of this

I had absolutely NO CHOICE in the matter because I am on on a medication that makes anything and everything carbonated taste like battery acid. And I'm pretty sure than when I do finally get off the meds, I won't go back to drinking my favorite diet ginger ale.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda and sweet tea 11 months ago and don't miss it at all. Now it's water or Crystal Light.

And Crystal Light is different from diet soda...how? It's water, flavoring, and sweetener, just like diet soda.

It's mostly water though, and way less chemicals and sweetener than drinking a soda.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just a thought.. Everyone get off your high horse, soap box, pulpit, or other holier-than-thou platform and be responsible for your own health.

If you feel diet drinks are the core issue for being healthy and feeling better, feel free to stop drinking them. If you're ok with whats in a diet drink and enjoy them and aren't suffering any ill effect, keep drinking them. Lets be accountable for our own actions, our own words, and our own fitness goals. Lets leave other people's choices up to them...
  • 13pointUNO
    13pointUNO Posts: 51
    Options
    I've got one vice.....cherry coke zero. I feel if that's my only one, I'm gonna be all right. :wink:
  • 13pointUNO
    13pointUNO Posts: 51
    Options
    Just a thought.. Everyone get off your high horse, soap box, pulpit, or other holier-than-thou platform and be responsible for your own health.

If you feel diet drinks are the core issue for being healthy and feeling better, feel free to stop drinking them. If you're ok with whats in a diet drink and enjoy them and aren't suffering any ill effect, keep drinking them. Lets be accountable for our own actions, our own words, and our own fitness goals. Lets leave other people's choices up to them...

I like this guy.
  • pamt09
    pamt09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new to this website. I've never liked diet drinks. I tried limiting my favorite full-on sugary drink, which is Dr. Pepper. I do okay for awhile then
    desire something fizzy. In the last few weeks I have started drinking "Talking Water". It is fizzy, has no sweeteners or substitutes.
    It comes in Berry, Lemon-Lime and Kiwi-Strawberry. I have no desire for the sugary drinks as long as I drink this when I want something fizzy.

Hope that helps.
  • jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I drink pure water more than anything, but I do love diet sodas and I have it whenever I'm craving it. I might have it once a day or every other day. I don't crave things like I used to since I've made long term changes to my eating (and drinking) habits.
    Crystal Light and similar water flavors are really satisfying to me also. Diet Snapple Peach Tea (easy packets) are my absolute favorite.

Maybe if you try drinking other alternatives you'll find one you enjoy more than sodas!
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Just a thought, someone asked a question and people gave their thoughts. Maybe you should just stay away from these types of threads if you don't like them?