Remember boys & girls, physiology is 'magic'! :spooky noises:
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    bump for later
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fat marathon runner? (Man or woman that has been doing this for years) I call BS.

Yes. Elite runners aren't fat. Plenty of non-elite marathon runners are. It's actually challenging to train for a marathon and lose weight, because a calorie deficit impedes your training, so LOTS of people set a marathon as a goal with a side goal to lose weight, and find they can only effectively do one or the other. It's not impossible, just a lot more challenging than the average person might think.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • margaretrican
    margaretrican Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It doesnt make you fat, its because you dont change your diet that it builds muscle under the fat so you look fatter but in reality you are not helping yourself by not changing your diet. RESOLVE: Continue the workouts with modified diet to intake less carbs and sugar so you lose the fat and your body stops storing fat=sugar/carbs.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about moderation... 20 hours of one activity is the problem. If you do a balanced approach (BALANCE people), then you should be fine - some weights, some cardio...

Just because cardio is good, doesn't mean you need to do 20 hours a week and ONLY do that. Just because weights are good, doesn't mean you need to lift for 3 hours a day every day and never do cardio.

but that's my figuring. :)

Love this post, love the original post...

And I love those freakin abs!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Hmm.
    I've never been overweight. I've often been a little soft, though I've been consistently active with cardio, weights, cycling, walking...

In february after buying some Minimalist running shoes to walk to work in I got the urge to jog. I jogged for the first time in 20 years.

Now, 4 months later I'm running 3-5 miles 4ish times a week.

I'm MUCH less soft. I'm smaller. I'm tighter. My resting heart rate has gone from 85 to 61.

And I've lost around 5 LBS.

I think I'll keep running, thanks.

Nicely put.

i've never been thin. But I'm a lot thinner now than I was before I started running. And yes, I do have muscle, and plenty of it, thanks for anyone who was considering asking.

My resting heart rate is 46. Not bad for a fat chick.

I'm not only interested in being smaller. I want to run. I want to run a long way. I love running. i want to be fit. I want to be strong. Running gives me all these things.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm... and that is why I have lost inches and pounds since starting running for the first time six weeks ago (C25K).
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm... and that is why I have lost inches and pounds since starting running for the first time six weeks ago (C25K).

It's in your head. Lift heavy. Weights will set you free.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fat marathon runner? (Man or woman that has been doing this for years) I call BS.
    The article is about losing weight, not about athletes competing. Call BS all you want, cardio has yet to be shown to do anything more than diet alone. For much the same reasons he listed.

No, the article is about losing (or gaining, rather) fat. Yeah, you keep doing cardio the same way, everyday, no changes whatsoever to the movements you're doing, then yeah, you're right, it's not going to do anything for you. But you're actually 100% stupid if you think cardio does not assist in the weight loss process.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    Cardio burns calories. Enough said.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Interesting read. I think it applies in some cases...not all. I think if you have a woman (or man) that goes to the gym 5 times a week and walks on the treadmill at 4.0 for 45 minutes each time...after a certain amount of time this exercise is no longer going to be effective and they might see their weight creep up and muscle loss. Their body is just not being challenged enough. Doesn't mean cardio is bad. it just means that like everything it's needs to be in moderation and it needs to be changed up every now and then to challenge the body. A healthy sensible cardio routine ALONG with strength training is the perfect combo.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It doesnt make you fat, its because you dont change your diet that it builds muscle under the fat so you look fatter

Good point. My best friend, who took up running seven years ago and now does marathons, told me not to be worried about any increases in inches around my legs initially - once you start running further and faster the top layer of fat will come off to reveal your new taut body. It's certainly worked for her - she's now three sizes smaller than me.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about moderation... 20 hours of one activity is the problem. If you do a balanced approach (BALANCE people), then you should be fine - some weights, some cardio...

Just because cardio is good, doesn't mean you need to do 20 hours a week and ONLY do that. Just because weights are good, doesn't mean you need to lift for 3 hours a day every day and never do cardio.

What she said ;)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Yes, but do you have any peer reviewed science to back this up! :bigsmile:
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The article is about losing weight, not about athletes competing. Call BS all you want, cardio has yet to be shown to do anything more than diet alone. For much the same reasons he listed.

No, the article is about losing (or gaining, rather) fat. Yeah, you keep doing cardio the same way, everyday, no changes whatsoever to the movements you're doing, then yeah, you're right, it's not going to do anything for you. But you're actually 100% stupid if you think cardio does not assist in the weight loss process.
    It assist exactly as much as eating less food assists in the process. You can run and do 300 calories worth of work. Or you can eat 300 calories less that day. In the end, your weight loss results will be the same. The only way to really improve fat loss results is to hit up more intense activities, using all your bodies energy systems and muscle types rather than none or only 1 type.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    1. No hypothesis
    2 No test subject-S. Notice how I add on the "s."
    3. No longevity testing
    4. No statistical data
    5. Findings have not been replicated elsewhere by different researchers

#thisargumentisinvalid
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    But you're actually 100% stupid if you think cardio does not assist in the weight loss process.

Actually, you're 100% stupid if you think that your opinion makes ANYONE that doesn't agree with it, 100% stupid.

For the record...in the past every ounce of fat I've lost...usually in record time once I start...was lost with heavy lifting and diet. Cardio is 100% unnecessary for fat loss. The only cardio I do is a bit of warmup (and lately raquetball...I finally found cardio I enjoy!). There's plenty of evidence that all cardio provides in terms of fat loss is a higher net deficit.

So...whether that makes me 100% stupid or not...I'll let you decide. Not that your decisions makes an ounce of difference to me...but I'm sure you'll feel better for having made it.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Even if I never lose another ounce from running, I will continue to do it as much and as often as I can. No other workout makes me feel that good. It HAS improved my lungs and legs. My first day of running, I couldn't run a full minute. Now I run almost 5 miles.

And why is this about women? Do they dominate all runners? I've also read about a "study" that said those who run at least 30-90mins a week lived longer. I don't know if it's true but that's a risk I'd be willing to take- even if that meant I was "fatter."
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough about physiology to say if the article is right or wrong but as someone who does regular cardio (not 20 hours a week though!) and can therefore eat a lot of food this has freaked me out a bit.