Cardio makes you fat: "Women: Running into Trouble"

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about moderation... 20 hours of one activity is the problem. If you do a balanced approach (BALANCE people), then you should be fine - some weights, some cardio...

Just because cardio is good, doesn't mean you need to do 20 hours a week and ONLY do that. Just because weights are good, doesn't mean you need to lift for 3 hours a day every day and never do cardio.

but that's my figuring. :)

Yes, but do you have any peer reviewed science to back this up! :bigsmile:

um.... well I did consult with my peers... me, myself and I... and we all decided that our "figuring" was scientific enough!

oh... and @chrisanderson2... THANKS!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I love running and run three to four times per week. I compete in 5k races, will be doing a 10k in October and am moving onto half marathons in the not-too-distant future. Now to do all these things, I need to run and train at running. Spending time in the gym lifting weights (especially heavy weights) is not going to enable me to run that 13.1 miles outside, it may ASSIST but ultimately, it will not be the weights that will get me to do a good time in the HM, it will be the training in the running that does the job.

I do not just wish to complete the HM, I actually wish to run the whole thing without stopping to walk and to cap it off I want to do a good time - all these resolutions mean:

1. I cannot be fat or even overweight

2. I must train in running

3. I must start to ignore ALL stuff that says too much cardio will make one fat - it is not true, it is a lie and it is misinformation.

Out.

Actually strength training will improve your racing. there are 2 ways to improve times. Strength frequency and stride length. And frequency is basically a non starter as when you compare pros to average joes, there frequency is basically identical. There is only a variance of like 10%. What this means is the difference between pro runners and non pros is all in stride length. They are able to do more per step than average runners.

So how do you increase stride length? 2 ways. Improve flexibility, and improve strength. Neither of which come from running more. I think you were trying to say that in your 'assist' comment. But I don't want you to think that weights are in some way not useful for getting better running times, they are if done properly.

And yes, you should ignore all the stuff that says cardio makes you fat. I can't think of seeing an article that says this however basically ever.... I do recommend though that you read things like the article posted in this thread however that gives good information.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Jynus, do you run? how far, and how often?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough about physiology to say if the article is right or wrong but as someone who does regular cardio (not 20 hours a week though!) and can therefore eat a lot of food this has freaked me out a bit.

Research HIIT. I love cardio, but I do no steady state save walking my dogs. HIIT (elliptical, bike and occasionally swimming) + some mild resistance training, the same stuff done in physical therapy years ago for knee and back/shoulder issues = increased fitness, muscle tone, energy and endurance.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

I can answer that.

None.

Stride length? You do realize that most new runners "overstride" right?
    Over striding leads to injury. Well done.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

I can answer that.

None.

^^^^^^yep
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    It's my humble opinion that girls who run tend to look really freakin hot. I don't know why, but I've found that girls who look like goddesses tend to be runners.

Not sure what else there is to say about it.
  • skinnnyfat123
    Options
    There clearly is evidence that TOO MUCH cardio relative to calorific intake can make your body slow down its metabolism and try store fat, to dispute otherwise is ridiculous. The differentiation between too much and not enough is down to genetics.
    I know for a fact that when I was doing 40 minutes in rounds on boxing training three times a week on top of my lifting I put on fat which I then lost when I dropped cardio completely. The lesson here was do not try lots of cardio on a calorie defecit. Some people it works for other not but unless you have been doing it for extended period personal observations are of very little use. I still do some bits of cardio but only a couple times a week, a bit of running, and rowing here and there but I do it for health I have few illusions that its the key to fat loss,
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a little bit of a different opinion/take on it! I started exercising in Dec and was weight training, doing bootcamp and running 3-5 miles a few days a week. I lost weight and body fat. Then I got a new (idiot) trainer who decided to put me on a mostly all running schedule (I mentioned that I wanted to run a Half marathon 10 months away). He had me running a hard 7 miles twice a week and then a long run (8-10 miles on the third day). The other days were mostly 40 min of intense stair climber or other cardio. I ended up gaining weight, gaining body fat and did not look as toned. His explanation--"over training". I had several metabolic tests done and my RMR went DOWN (bad), my body was only burning sugar/carbs (bad) whereas before it was burning half fat (good) and half sugar, my heartrate zones were all messed up etc... I parted ways with him and am now doing heavier weights 3 times a week, STILL running 3 times a week but not nearly as hard or as many miles (until I start REtraining for my Half).

I DO think there is something to be said about people over-exercising at their highest heartrate zones for extended periods of time. YES, I was in good cardiovascular shape, but I felt like I totally jacked up my metabolism. I think running (and other cardio) is essential for good health--but maybe not to an extreme (unless you are training for a specific event). I am definitely no expert but that is just my personal experience.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • skinnnyfat123
    Options
    Also check out Eddie Izzard he lost some weight when he ran those 41 marathons in 50 days but he was still pretty podgy at the end, in theory he should have been ripped after all that running and training.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I have a little bit of a different opinion/take on it! I started exercising in Dec and was weight training, doing bootcamp and running 3-5 miles a few days a week. I lost weight and body fat. Then I got a new (idiot) trainer who decided to put me on a mostly all running schedule (I mentioned that I wanted to run a Half marathon 10 months away). He had me running a hard 7 miles twice a week and then a long run (8-10 miles on the third day). The other days were mostly 40 min of intense stair climber or other cardio. I ended up gaining weight, gaining body fat and did not look as toned. His explanation--"over training". I had several metabolic tests done and my RMR went DOWN (bad), my body was only burning sugar/carbs (bad) whereas before it was burning half fat (good) and half sugar, my heartrate zones were all messed up etc... I parted ways with him and am now doing heavier weights 3 times a week, STILL running 3 times a week but not nearly as hard or as many miles (until I start REtraining for my Half).

I DO think there is something to be said about people over-exercising at their highest heartrate zones for extended periods of time. YES, I was in good cardiovascular shape, but I felt like I totally jacked up my metabolism. I think running (and other cardio) is essential for good health--but maybe not to an extreme (unless you are training for a specific event). I am definitely no expert but that is just my personal experience.

That was my experience too...

My training was pretty eclectic, I used to do shortish pacey runs between 5-10k, do spin classes, Ashtanga yoga, a bit of pad work, and a lot of lifting. I was in cracking shape. I used to be about 17% body fat.

Then I got into distance running and then into long distance triathlons. My coach had me train to heart rate, 85% was steady state... it was all about getting the miles in... plus you HAD to consume a fair amount of carbs... I lost my abs -- they were no longer visible... I did 15+ hours a week of training and had 25% body fat!! Yes I was fit!! I could run for hours, I breezed through century bike rides and could swim 3 miles in a lake... but there was no hiding the fact that despite all those hours I was FATTER than before!

After that I read an article by Rachel Cosgrove "The final nail in the cardio coffin" and her experience of endurance training was exactly the same as mine.

*shrugs shoulders*

I don't care if someone pipes up and thinks it's just an unscientific one person study. I've been there and I know what I know.
  • Jynus
    Options
    Depends on context. I used to play competitive sports. At my peak I played national level Ultimate and trained/played about 20hours a week with craptons of cardio as the sport is just pure running. Did that for 2 years, and a good few before that with a few hours a week playing other cardio based sports like soccer. I never ran for fun or for time, or competed with running. it was always for training so I honestly have no idea how far, or what my times would be then. It was always ok, 20 min jog, go, and just do that before moving onto other training.

Now my last year of Ulti, I started doing weight training. I found a jump training template that had strength components and hit the gym to improve my performance. After I retired from Ulti to have time for life, I kept going to the gym to remain active. I went much more frequently and exercised a lot more intensely as I had the time and rest for it since I didn't want to bother with sports anymore. End result was after cutting out 20 hours of cardio a week and replacing it with about 6 hours of weight training, I shed a crapton of fat and recomped my body to the point where I just looked drastically different. I always looked athletic before, but had a much more olympic sprinter like look to me afterwards and had a 6pack for first time ever. That was a wakeup call for me about training methodologies and results from them. (assuming diet is in check)

I did spend a couple years actually doing personal training too, and have all my basic certs. And with my sports background and training as a profession, for study I would honestly say I've spent hundreds of hours reading studies and articles on fitness and health, and spent thousands of hours working with people on forums much like this, or in real life training with people. So I do have a bit of a background.

Interesting timing on your question however. I can say this though, I've always wanted to make the point where I do what I say, and made it a point to not do ANY cardio in my training, and have held true to that for the last 2 years. I wanted to show that you can gain and lose, faster and better, all without cardio. However over last weekend, a friend wanted to go for a jog and I said why the hell not. We didn't time it, but it was 3km. And I got through it without any trouble, 1 1min walking break or so though. my freaking legs were itchy as hell though, lol. 2 years not doing cardio prob has a few bugs to work out. I actually plan on taking 1 day a week now just for running. My son is 4, and loves to be outside, and is always wanting to race and do active things. I'll make it a father/son thing to go for a lil jog as much as we can and be active together doing whatever.

k, theres your essay on my background. :D

edit: the post right above mine is basically a mirror image of my experiences, but in reverse. the link does seem to be excessive/competitive cardio. Might be something to that rather than joe average just doing a few hours a week on the treadmill trying to drop a few pounds.
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think that some people that only do tons of cardio use that as an excuse to overeat. I know other runners that get extremely hungry when they train long distances. I'm lucky and have the opposite effect when I run. This example is one of the many reasons there are overweight runners or cardio buffs. I believe it comes down to calories in and out and not that cardio makes you fat.
    For me, running is the only thing that has slimmed down my thick legs and calves which is genetic. Weight lifting is beneficial when added to any exercise regimine. I do weight lifting to prevent injury and to stay strong, not as a weight loss tool. I think people should do what works for them.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

That was my experience too...

My training was pretty eclectic, I used to do shortish pacey runs between 5-10k, do spin classes, Ashtanga yoga, a bit of pad work, and a lot of lifting. I was in cracking shape. I used to be about 17% body fat.

Then I got into distance running and then into long distance triathlons. My coach had me train to heart rate, 85% was steady state... it was all about getting the miles in... plus you HAD to consume a fair amount of carbs... I lost my abs -- they were no longer visible... I did 15+ hours a week of training and had 25% body fat!! Yes I was fit!! I could run for hours, I breezed through century bike rides and could swim 3 miles in a lake... but there was no hiding the fact that despite all those hours I was FATTER than before!

After that I read an article by Rachel Cosgrove "The final nail in the cardio coffin" and her experience of endurance training was exactly the same as mine.

*shrugs shoulders*

I don't care if someone pipes up and thinks it's just an unscientific one person study. I've been there and I know what I know.

And that's why it's so great that there are so many options for different folks.

When I was running 15-20 miles a week and eating lower carb, higher fat, higher protein, I was in great shape.

When I was eating a "clean" diet and doing heavy (quite heavy) weights and HIIT, I packed on a layer of fat that wouldn't budge. Sure, I built muscle, but that fat came on with a vengeance.

What jumped out at me in your post is that you said you "had" to eat lots of carbs to run as you were. Some people don't have to eat as many carbs as you think to fuel those runs. Some do, some don't.

There are fat runners, fat lifters, fat yogis and fat couch potatoes.

There are endomorphs, ectomorphs and mesomorphs and they all respond differently to nutrition and exercise. There are people with insulin resistance, there are people with autoimmune disorders that can't eat carbs like others, and there are people with a host of other differences.

So what works for one won't necessarily work for another.

Good thing some of you can lift and some of us can run and some people can do both or none at all and somehow everyone can find what works for them and see results.

:flowerforyou:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Used to weigh 325.

Started running.

Lost over 100 lbs.

Not running right now because of injury.

Gain 10 lbs.

Hmm... Sure doesn't sound like running is making me fat.

Funny I've coached close to 200 new runners... Most of them lose weight too?

I smell bovine fecal matter.
  • Jynus
    Options

I can answer that.

None.

Thats the 'flexibility' part I addressed... Still doesn't change that stride length is far longer for pro runners than average runners. So to get better times, the FACT remains they need to train on improving their stride length.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Then y bother to do it if its not going to help me lose weight
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't believe him. I have enough muscles as it is. I don't need weight training!

I need cardio.