Peanut Butter - Bad or Good?

Options

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter can be good. I use PB2 to add to my chocolate meal replacement shake in the morning. Tastes like a reeses peanut butter cup!

I need to try that!

I missed out on a pumpernickel bagel at church so with bread on my mind I went to the grocery store to buy bread (which I never do). I bought Arnold's - Double Protein Multigrain Bread, 1 slice is 110 calories and 7g protein. I've had that for breakfast everyday this week with one tablespoon of 365 Whole Foods - Creamy Peanut Butter All Natural which is 100 calories and 4 grams of protein. Along with a piece of fruit, surprisingly this keeps me full until my 11am snack time.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter can be good. I use PB2 to add to my chocolate meal replacement shake in the morning. Tastes like a reeses peanut butter cup!

The problem with PB2 is it takes the oil out of PB...as in the source of the healthy fat and HDL (the good cholesterol)
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    I eat an apple with almond butter daily. Yum!
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2tbsp of NATURAL peanut butter a day on whole wheat bread too. Peanut butter is supposed to be good for you in small amounts. It's a good source for omega 3s and the so called "good" fats and I believe it's labeled as a "super food"...I think the key is buying the natural stuff and making sure you measure it out.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It's been said before many times - there's no such thing as good or bad foods.

Peanut butter certainly has a place in a healthy nutritious menu plan, but it's fairly calorie dense, and therefore easy to get too much of it.

I like the wholenut crunchy stuff. And I love almond or hazelnut butter too for a change.
    this
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Like most any other food, peanut butter is fine if eaten in moderation and within your caloric goals. Like most any other food, peanut butter is not so good and can cause you to gain weight if you overeat it and exceed your caloric goals. IMHO, "everything in moderation" is a good path to a healthy relationship with food and a sustainable lifestyle change.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    ...almond butter is a lot healthier of a choice which can be aquired at any whole foods store. More stores are starting to carry it though, just have to check your local store.
    Believe it or not, I bought the same brand of almond butter as my whole foods/natural supplement store--at WalMart! For about half the price.

Love it, love it, love it!
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Maybe I missed it, but did anyone note that peanuts are..... legumes!!

Just like beans and peas---which also have carbs and fat in them, plus protein.

And they are "plant source foods," so part of the 90 of the 90-10 plan.... eat up! (Peanut butter with no additives, no sugar, no salt, no emulsifiers, no added oils--just prechewed peanuts....)
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear what people have to say about this on to! I eat peanut butter once a day. I look for the one lowest in carbs and highest in protein. I think the best I have found was Peter Pan Natural? I also eat it on the 12 grain bread.

Doesn't Peter Pan Natural have sugar added to it?? Your best bet would be to look for one where the only ingredient is peanuts. Crazy Richards in great!
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter was invented by Zeus and as such transcends definitions such as good or bad. It is divine. But as with all foods descended from the Gods, it must be treated with respect for its great powers and consumed in moderation.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I eat a peanut butter (natural not jiff) on 2 pieces of whole wheat 12-grain bread daily for lunch. Is this hindering my weight loss? I dont eat any red meat so I thought the peanut butter would give me the protein I need. Any insight is appreciated, thanks.

Tastes good and is good for you. What's not to like?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is greeat stuff. Tasty and full of good fats, protein and other nutrients. It will only hinder weight loss if you eat so much that you are no longer in a calorie deficit.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Peanut butter was invented by Zeus and as such transcends definitions such as good or bad. It is divine. But as with all foods descended from the Gods, it must be treated with respect for its great powers and consumed in moderation.

:love: So true!!
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Love this ^
  • bcattoes
    Options
    But almond butter is a lot healthier of a choice which can be aquired at any whole foods store. More stores are starting to carry it though, just have to check your local store.

What makes almond butter a "lot healthier"??
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat peanut butter. It's too fatty for me plus it is one of my trigger foods. If I were one of those people who could just eat a tablespoon and be ok I'd eat it, but I'm not. LOL I'm like cookie monster with some cookies when it comes to peanut butter. It's so tasty! :smile:

This year I had some on Father's Day, we got my husband a Reese's peanut butter ice cream cake from dairy queen so I had a slice. Next time I'll have some peanut butter is probably in November. That's it, twice a year.

side note, I'm going to have to check out almond butter!
  • czuniga03
    czuniga03 Posts: 99
    Options
    I love PB2 its only 45 calories per serving and tastes awesome!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It depends on the brand of peanut butter. If you grind the peanuts yourself (some stores have that capability) then it is the best peanut butter you can get. I try and shy away from the heavy commercial brands (Jif, Peter Pan, Skippy) just because they are so processed...yes, even the "natural" ones of these brands are processed. Granted, I love my Peanut Butter and Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams (they even have a chunky that I want to try) and it is processed, but it tastes so, so, SO much better than any of the heavy commercial PBs.

And PB2 rocks my socks. Seriously. Mix 2 Tbsp of the chocolate with 1 cup Lactaid chocolate milk and a frozen banana (I also add a scoop of Green Foods chocolate wheat grass powder...not for everyone :smile:) and blend together and tell me you don't love PB2. Or chocolate. Or banana. Or how it all makes you swoon. - okay...back on topic - :laugh:
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter also, but have found a couple other things that are high in protien that I also enjoy. I really like the Weight Watchers mazzarella sticks, along with the Greek Yogart. I am not a milk drinker so these things also provide some calcium.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Try greek yogurt? I'm not saying peanut butter is bad, just saying if you're looking for protein to try greek yogurt. Fage is the best :)
    PB is a fat, not protein.