Kindle stolen from gym. I feel too angry to return

Options

Replies

• katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Hmm, let me contact Kindle and see if that can work if the device has been deactivated. I may have to reactivate the device for that to work.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just not a "turn the other cheek" kind of guy. If it's a restricted access to the gym, it couldn't be just anyone walking in off the street to steal it. If you have friends you can trust in the complex, put the word out & have them keep an eye out for someone with a Kindle that didn't have one before. Check out craigslist to see if they're trying to sell it & the locate my Kindle is hopefully a good place to start. If you come up with anything, send a big scary friend to "discuss" getting the Kindle that they "found" returned to the proper owner.

Not that I have ever helped a friend of mine get some stolen items back from a pathetic loser, because I'd never condone that type of behavior.
  • katatak1
    Options
    A couple details. It was 5 am on Monday. I was alone in the gym and assumed I was safe. I forgot it was there when I set it down on the floor. I left the gym. It was empty. I walked back to my apartment, realized my mistake and returned. It was gone. The gym was empty. I spent about 10 minutes away from the gym. It's deactivated, police report is filed. My main concern now is how to get over the anger so I don't seethe for the rest of the day after a workout. Just being there pisses me off.
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    hate people who steal other peoples property- its such a mean thing to do
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    I hate having stuff stolen from me. One of the few times I don't feel sorry for people is when they steal something and they get their hand chopped off. That'll teach 'em.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I once had an mp3 player of mine stolen by an employee at Planet Fitness. I know it was an employee because I verified over the phone that they had found it and were keepign it behind the counter. Went in, and it was nowhere to be seen.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    Hard way to learn a lesson. I have never had anyuthing stolen from me. I don't bring anything with me that I can't monitor. Or more than I can carry on my person.

As for the person who had all the items stolen from their car. I would impress upon you that you should never leave anything in your car unattended that you don't want to lose or can't replace. Unfortunately, we live in a world where people will bust into your car if they see anything of value.
  • katatak1
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your Kindle went missing but don't rush to judgment that the person who found it acutally stole it. I would post a note about the missing Kindle or maybe even call the apartment complex's main office to see if it was dropped off with them. Maybe a good person found it and decided to hold it for safe keeping?

That was my hope as well. But a week has passed, and no one has turned it in. The worst part is that my complex office won't let me put a sign in the gym offering a reward.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thieves are *kitten*. Don't let them steal your healthy habit from you, though.

Buy a lock. Always lock your stuff up.

Tell the apartment managers and see if they have had other complaints. They may have an idea about who did it.

Post a sign, if you're allowed. Someone stole a delivery from my front porch. I put a tiny post it note on my door with delivery instructions on it for my reorder, and an asterisk that said something like "To the thieves who stole my delivery Monday, I hope you're enjoying it...you know what they say about karma..." and guess what? I shamed those thieves into returning it...the next day, there was my shirt, in a Kroger bag, on my steps. Now I have two shirts. :)

Cheer up and keep working out...it's your gym, too! What a great resource to have!!
  • katatak1
    Options
    I once had an mp3 player of mine stolen by an employee at Planet Fitness. I know it was an employee because I verified over the phone that they had found it and were keepign it behind the counter. Went in, and it was nowhere to be seen.

How did you get over it? I mean, in your shoes I would be judging each and ever person I see and wondering if they were the one that took it. I mean, that's what I'm doing.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Hard way to learn a lesson. I have never had anyuthing stolen from me. I don't bring anything with me that I can't monitor. Or more than I can carry on my person.

As for the person who had all the items stolen from their car. I would impress upon you that you should never leave anything in your car unattended that you don't want to lose or can't replace. Unfortunately, we live in a world where people will bust into your car if they see anything of value.

It was a convertible. LOL. I dont care anymore if people steal from me. I really don't. There's nothing I have that I can't live without.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    A couple details. It was 5 am on Monday. I was alone in the gym and assumed I was safe. I forgot it was there when I set it down on the floor. I left the gym. It was empty. I walked back to my apartment, realized my mistake and returned. It was gone. The gym was empty. I spent about 10 minutes away from the gym. It's deactivated, police report is filed. My main concern now is how to get over the anger so I don't seethe for the rest of the day after a workout. Just being there pisses me off.

Here is a good example of knowing the difference between what you can control and what you cannot.

You can do things differently in the future and will.

You can do nothing about what has already happened. Let it go and chalk it up to a lesson learned. It was just a thing.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

How did you get over it? I mean, in your shoes I would be judging each and ever person I see and wondering if they were the one that took it. I mean, that's what I'm doing.

Wow. You just need to get over your *kitten*. It's just a thing. A meaningless stupid thing. Your life could be so much worse. have you ever been held at gunpoint and robbed? Beaten and had money taken from you? I have. It could be so much worse. Just forget it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    De-authorize the Kindle and report it as stolen to Amazon. They may be able to do something about it.

Report the theft to your landlord. They won't be able to do anything about it, but report it anyway. If the thief ends up feeling guilty there's a slight chance they'll turn it in as lost and found. It's a long shot, but worth mentioning.

Then don't let the thief steal your fitness as well as your Kindle. He or she has likely already fenced it and moved on. I'm deeply sorry, I know it sucks to have stuff stolen, but it's property. It's an object. Objects can be replaced.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

It was a convertible. LOL. I dont care anymore if people steal from me. I really don't. There's nothing I have that I can't live without.

Yep. I ride a motorcycle. If something is strapped to my bike, everyone can see it. I have a tail bag that I have on the back that I use for transporting those things that I might need for whatever ride I am on. There are always cigars in it. When I get to wherever I am going and have to be out of line of sight of my bike, I undo the buckles on the leather bag. I would rather have someone steel a couple cigars or a bungee cord than cut the straps on my leather bag.

Luckily, it's never happened. I like to think there is some camaraderie among bikers that keeps us looking our for each other.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    People steal. All the time. Everywhere..including the gym...church..schools. etc.

Let it go and move on but don't let it ruin your relationship with the gym! A kindle can be replaced. It sucks, yes.

And yes, I've had stuff stolen from the gym....same car broken into 4 times...it's a HORRIBLE feeling knowing someone took something you earned or worked hard for.

But..things could be worse. ♥
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I know what it feels like to have something stolen from you, and yes it sucks. But that's why you keep your expensive **** either locked up or right next to you.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    At least it’s cheaper than an iPad.. never leave your personals unattended in public!!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt give up driving if my car got stolen.........that would give them the power

its hard, just write it off as a bad experience and keep up the good work...................LLoyd
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My first day at my new gym someone stole my shoes. There are little cubbies under the lockers that everyone leaves their shoes in (I change into regular shoes after my workout & shower). They weren't anything fancy, would never leave my Uggs or Jimmy Choos under there, just $20 sketcher mules I got at Marshalls. I was astounded & pissed.

Its disapointing, no one who is going to your basic chain gym is wealthy. We all have the same goals. But I look at it this way. That person may be in better shape than me physically but I will always have stronger morals & a better character.

That jerk has has caused you a small financial inconvenience. Don't let it be bigger than that.