Need support from those who struggle with binging..

Options
2»

Replies

• watchyourthoughts
    Options
    This is so great to read - you reaching out to the community. Well done for being brave and speaking about this. No matter what addiction we have - drugs, food, we are suppressing some kind of pain. Once we learn to accept ourselves entirely, thats when eating that piece of cake is no sweat, because you can take responsibilty for your action and work it off through healthy eating the next day and a bit of exercise. Don't give food power. Separate your mind from your body - SO much easier said that done!! Your thoughts are perspectives and opinions you've collected and frankly, we do ourselves more harm than good. So thankyou for being brave, and know that you're not indifferent by having this issue to deal with. I hope you find a way to relax and enjoy food and this journey. I have suffered from bullemia for the last few years and what it took for me was a self help book and many personal reminders that I AM work happiness and I can bloody feel good in jeans and look sexy! Why am I sabotaging this body that has been nothing but loyal to me?!?
    Good luck darling, you can do it, just go with what you feel and what your body is telling you versus your emotions.
    Xx
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a sweet tooth, even though I get a sugar rage once in a while. My problem is with salty stuff such as chips.
    I say you go with what you feel will work for you. For me, is just staying away from it. It works well.
    My biggest problem is the quantities... I can eat a lot! If anyone has a tip...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    If you have issues with binging then I would say no. I have Reactive Hypoglycemia (aka "prediabetes". Part hereditary and part a lifetime of a high refined carb diet. My father in on dialysis and my older brother is an obese diabetic.)

I went Primal in May of last year. I never quite went 100% with getting rid of sugar. I have been battling it the entire time. Those cravings are caused by the jumps/crashes in your blood sugar (you don't have to be diabetic to get them. You don't have to be overweight to get them). If you are craving sweets then you are addicted to them. In a good chunk of people, carbohdrates create an addiction along the same lines as cocoaine, heroin, opium. The only way I can get rid of my cravings is by removing the sweets completely and make sure I eat plenty of calories (I follow a low-carb/high-fat lifestyle so I have to eat quite a bit more calories to maintain my weight then I would have to if I was following a high-carb/low-fat lifestyle. Carbs cause my body to start storing fat (and retaining water) very, very quickly (I've ballooned up 10lbs in less than two weeks on a carb binge)

I have suffered from anxiety disorder, depression, volatile emotions etc. At the same time I have also suffered from chronic indigestion, hiatal hernia, IBS, constipation/diarrhea, bloat, stomach pains/gas from delayed-stomach emptying, etc. When I removed the majority of carbs from my diet (sugar was turning me diabetic; grains were destroying my gut) and increased my fat intake (I also removed almost all processed foods and now try and eat only real food) to about 65%-70% of my calorie intake all issues went away.

The sugar cravings come and go but as long as I'm eating enough calories and getting enough natural fats (I eat quite a bit of saturated fat) and protein the sugar cravings stay very, very dim.
    I still can't even eat a piece of fruit or have a sweet potato without the cravings intensifying and I don't like those feelings.
    BUT N=1

But if you can do it then props to you!!

Edit: By the way, I'm maintaining my weight now (5'2" at 111lbs). I was never obese. I was close to overweight - but I was very sick and unhealthy. I dropped 10lbs following the low-calorie, low-fat diet. But what I got from going Primal was my mental stability back, my energy levels back, (I got a flat belly for the first time in my life), my evenings back (I don't have to exercise constantly to look good and maintain. I GOT MY HEALTH. I can't say I got that back because I have never been healthy. I had to get to 41 years old to figure it out.
  • oreyna
    oreyna Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's tough...it's like a slippery slope sometimes. Just gotta be strong and have some self control. I feel that if you avoid the cravings...they only get worse. Just enjoy in moderation...and drink plenty of water.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    <-- binger!! try this: eat a SMALL cookie (or half a big cookie - think 100-150 cals) and a cup of coffee or tea. sometimes this will do it for me for several days, sometimes a week or two. make sure it's a good cookie!!
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Without any in-depth research or study (I'm a non-expert), I think it's hard to live and get healthy with all the pressure we can sometimes put on ourselves. There is no one way to do most things. So you've been craving a sweet for a bit. It seems as if you haven't given in so why not plan to have a sweet at the party. If you decide to have some cake tonite what will help you to have the one small serving you've planned for? Does it help for you to tell your husband and maybe a few friends that you've been struggling and have planned to only have one small piece of cake. Get the small piece of cake and savor each bite. Then when it's gone you're done. Or if after some thought you think the party atmosphere will be too challenging, get your sweet right before the party. Maybe not a McFlurry since it's so high in calorie, but maybe there's a good alternative. But make sure it's a single serving only.

Believe in yourself and your ability to overcome the habit of binge eating. It's great that you are getting support and help to handle this. Don't stress yourself out. Take some deep breaths, collect your thoughts, create a plan, and implement. Just today, just focus on today. You'll do the right thing!!! I'll keep you in my thoughts.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    For me, when I go somewhere surrounded by mounds of people and I am uncomfortable, I usually park myself beside the food and eat, and eat, and eat. Now that I know this I park myself as far away from the food as possible. Eat the cake or else you will be obsessed with the cake and eat something else to fill the void.

I never had an ED, but I did have a problem stopping myself from eating, it's worse when I'm with my big Italian family, cause they litterally put food in your hand and would shove it down your throat if they could. This past Sunday was one of those days, I wasn't hungry in the least, but I just ate and ate and ate and ate. I realized when it was too late, but didn't punish myself for it. It happens, you grieve and move on.

Have the cake.
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi debomommyforh, I have struggled with binge eating for most of my life and have had the opportunity to work with some really great doctors who have helped me to become incredibly mindful of where I go in my head while binging. As I look back now at the struggle I had, I know that I went in waves of denying myself everything and then allowing everything. There are different schools of thought and no one right answer. People will often swing along the spectrum of eating disorders, taking on binge eating and bulimic habits or binge eating and then anorexic habits in an effort to undue what they have "done."

I would usually stop myself from eating any of the cake for example, because I knew that even if I had a piece of it, I would tear myself apart for eating it., even if it was just a little bite. As I started to get better, I started to realize that I could have just one piece. I learned to watch myself think through a binge; often thinking "there won't be any more, so I have to eat it now." Now, I try to be gentle with myself, so if I do decide to have a piece of cake (or whatever) I will talk myself through it and ask myself questions in advance Before: 1. Do I really want this? 2. Why do I want it? 3. Do I feel emotional right now? (If I am emotional, I will usually avid eating for 30 minutes) 4. Will this put me over my calories (if yes, I either won't eat it or if I do decide to eat it, I make sure to exercise it off (I ask myself, "Is it worth 1 hr in the pool for 1/2 a piece of cake?".) There were times when I would eat it and promise myself to exercise and then I woudn't, and ended up feeling terrible about myself, so now I know that if I probably won't be able to work it off, t doesn't go into my mouth.

While I am eating, I talk to myself: Am I enjoying this? If yes, I try to eat it slowly, putting my fork down between bites and letting the taste sit in my mouth. If no, I throw it out.
    If i was enjoying it, as I start to finish the piece and look towards the rest of the cake that s left, I remind myself that that is not the ONLY cake. If I want cake later, I can go to the store and buy it any time. It is always accessible to me. For now, I don't have to have another piece.

If I have a party to attend, I will exercise in the morning to 1. give me extra calories incase there is a treat there that I would like to have and 2. to make me think twice if that treat is worth all the hard work I did during the workout earlier that day.

If I overeat, I usually get sulky and pissy and then just want to eat more, but I force myself to go for a walk or exercise. The problem with food addiction and disordered eating is that most people have issues with it and simply don't realize it. When I think about people who struggle with alcohol addiction and places they often avoid (bars, festivals, sports games, etc) I work to do the same. I avoid buffets, fast food restaurants, and take out. I choose not to buy crappy foods to keep around the house that I know I will binge on. I try to avoid big eating parties or going to other peoples homes for dinner unless I know what will be served. On those family get together's that can't be avoided, I make a point of having 1 plate of food and putting off desert until the very end, knowing that I can have it any time, but am choosing not to. If I do decide to have it, that I am having it because I want it, not because I feel an urge to eat. I will also tell myself, if I skip this and want a different treat later that night, I will let myself do that. I usually end up skipping the cake and then not stopping to get a different treat because then I have to think myself through getting off route on my way home, going into the store, picking out what I want, how much $ it will cost me, and that I will have to buy it from the cashier. If I do stop, I will only buy single servings - 1 ice cream bar from a convenience store or 1 chocolate bar or a small bag of whatever.

The most important thing to remember is that if you do eat the cake and go over, as soon as your put your fork down, you're still OK! You're still losing weight and you're still on the right track!

I still wont keep a box of chocolates in the fridge because if I do they will be on my mind until I throw them out or eat them all, and that isn't something I want to do to myself, but I'm getting better and I'm doing a really good job.

It's great that you are premeditating what tonight will be like so that you can create an "escape route" for yourself.

You're doing great!!!
  • CreekPrincess75
    Options
    I struggle with binging and food addiction too. My sister can have sweet stuff in the house and make it last. If I have it, it's gone the first night and then I feel guilty and hate myself. Eat the small piece. I find when I try to have it but limit it to out of the house at parties or special occasions, I do better. If I try to totally abstain, I go crazy and then when I do cave I go overboard and go on a hell-bent free-for-all and then sink to where I started. You have to make guidelines for yourself that you can live with and that work for you. So don't feel guilty of taking a small piece with the others in celebration and make yourself feel better by doing a physical activity that day to compensate a bit. :)
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To complicate matters, I've noticed in my own experience, I can be either one of the two types at different times. Depending on my mood and emotional state, sometimes I need to have a little bit of something to win the psychological battle, and sometimes I need to go to extreme lengths to avoid it altogether.

This is me, exactly. Sometimes I can have a little and let it settle my craving. Sometimes a handful of raisins will send me off the deep end of sugar-binge-depravity.

Ask yourself how YOU feel. Do you think you will downward spiral for a slice of cake? If you have the slice, have an escape plan for not having more. I would tell people around me I am only having one slice, so then I would feel embarrassed if I went for seconds. Crowd accountability, heh. I told my class one year that I wasn't eating sugars, and lo and behold, they became my sugar patrol. Their parents would bring cupcakes, and a nice piece of fruit for the teacher. Kids would come around offering left over treats to teachers, and my class would shoo them away at the door.

I'm trying to train my fiancee the same way, haha. ; )
  • runningmommycrosland
    Options
    Sweets are my major downfall. I find that if I keep some things around that are sweet, but healthier, it helps a lot. I keep some Kashi "snacks" (chocolate squares are my favorite), Hail Merry snacks (macaroons & tarts), and I drink smoothies (the fruit makes it super sweet). This definitely helps curb my cravings. I make them fit into my calories and they also offer nutritional benefits (fiber, protein, etc). I do try to treat myself once a week or so to something completely non-healthy so that I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. I had a hamburger the other night and it was so good :-).
  • runningmommycrosland
    Options
    Also, from the Christian aspect, check out the book and devotional Made to Crave. She discusses this a lot. It's been very beneficial for me!