I found an easier way to lose weight

Options

Replies

• mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. With this routine, been working well for me!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Montanarush
    Options
    Im on a similar diet now and was on it before. I eat eggs, bacon, meat, cheese,vegetables-frozen or fresh. Almost all my carbs are fiber or other complex carbs. No sugar, no potatoes, no pasta, no rice! All stuff I love but it doesnt love me. Now I have low cholesterol, good blood sugar, good cholesterol is good, blood pressure-awesome, triglycerides down. I count calories but you don't really have to, just carbs. Atkins is best but there are others.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know a little about those diets and they probably are healthy, but there has been too little research to tell if they are healthy over a long period of time for me to consider this type of diet. I don't by anthropological data from the paleo era as evidence that it's safe for us because we simply don't and can't live or eat as the caveman did. We may keep our macros where it is theorized they did, but the food itself that we eat is very different and our lifestyle is very, very different.

Plus, I wouldn't want to give up my favorite foods unless there was a medical reason to do so. I've eaten a moderate carb diet that includes whole grains for decades and I've made it to age 51 without ever developing high cholesterol, insulin resistance or any other disease, syndrome or diagnosis. The only time I gain weight is when I stop exercising regularly.

Again, I have no reason to believe these diets are unhealthy. It is partly the lack of evidence that makes these not appeal to me. Plus my love of plant based foods, including legumes and whole grains, the wealth of evidence that this type of diet is healthy long term, and my own personal experience that leads me to believe I am already doing what is best for me.

I wish you luck in doing what is best for you.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    At 5ft2 I was content at 130lbs exercising 4xs a week... until my dr said I had high cholersterol.
    I found MFP and I started tracking- I barely had cholesterol in my diet! So I cut back and ate low fat and lost 10lbs. I knew there had to be a better way.
    I found it. Read about "clean eating", "primal blueprint", "Mike's Daily Apple". You should be eating more protein and less carbs!
    Ladies- keep both around 100 daily. I can eat eggs/bacon, real butter, heavy whipping cream in my coffee, a little fruit, veggies (big deal!), and still lose weight.
    It's 80%/20% meaning you can eat clean most of the time- that should explain my diary today, lol.
    Do me a favor and don't "friend" me until you've tried it for a week...

Just curious, how is your cholestrol now?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have been doing low carb/high protein since I started here. But diabetes has a way of pushing that on you. Fat I don't worry about...but, then I didn't have high cholesterol even before I started losing weight.
  • Devonwood
    Devonwood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much forced to do a low-carb diet because of my PCOS. If I ate three hundred calories under, yet ate the recommended amount of carbs that MFP says, I would gain weight every day. I usually try to stay around 100 carbs a day, even when I exercise. Sometimes I give my body a little boost and cut back one day every once in a while to 75 or 50 carbs. It may not work for everyone, but I know low carb diets can be very beneficial to people with diabetes or PCOS.

The problem is when you eat low-carb, you tend to eat high fat. Keeping your fat in check is also important. I could eat a zero calorie breakfast of eggs and bacon, but that's not very good for my body! Especially considering how high that would be in cholesterol. Just some things to remember. :)
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    At 5ft2 I was content at 130lbs exercising 4xs a week... until my dr said I had high cholersterol.
    I found MFP and I started tracking- I barely had cholesterol in my diet! So I cut back and ate low fat and lost 10lbs. I knew there had to be a better way.
    I found it. Read about "clean eating", "primal blueprint", "Mike's Daily Apple". You should be eating more protein and less carbs!
    Ladies- keep both around 100 daily. I can eat eggs/bacon, real butter, heavy whipping cream in my coffee, a little fruit, veggies (big deal!), and still lose weight.
    It's 80%/20% meaning you can eat clean most of the time- that should explain my diary today, lol.
    Do me a favor and don't "friend" me until you've tried it for a week...

Just curious, how is your cholestrol now?

^^ Yep.

No way could I eat that stuff and have good cholesterol.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Kudos to all of you who can sustain a low carb diet. I tried it and lost weight then regressed. I don't think I am alone in this. MFP calorie counting is what works for me since I can eat anything I want including my beloved dark chocolate caramels.I needed a food plan that was socially sustainable (eating with friends) and sustainable with cooking for my family. Just some encouragement for those who have had a hard time with low carb.
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bump for later very interesting and well done :)
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    whoops, I meant "Mark's" Daily Apple!
    Glad to hear others who've had success with it too. I've never heard anyone who hasn't had good results. The only naysayers seems to be people who won't give up carbs and don't realize you can still have them- just a smaller amount.
    My cholesterol went down 30pts after losing the first 10lbs I get it checked again in Aug. and since I've lost another 10lbs and I'm at 108lbs I'm not really worried :)
    Thanks for all the encouragement!
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My issue is eliminating the carbs....I switched from white bread, rice, and pasta to wheat but I still cant budge these last ten pounds. I want to drop carbs completely except for what I get in my fruits and veggies......its just so hard b/c if its there I want it especially when the hubby is home b/c hes a HUGE carb eater......
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My experience is similar. Started journaling my calories in mid-January as a vegetarian. I ate BMR but was consuming over 200g of carbs (all whole grain, fruits, veggies). I did an hour of cardio 6 days per week. By mid-April, I had lost 5 lbs. After much research I decided to go primal. Since then I have lost 26 lbs, still eating at BMR, but keeping carbs under 80g (doubled my protein too). Also, I cut back on cardio - Jillian Michaels and running mostly.. Low carb is the key for me.
    :) I wish everyone were as positive about lower carb as you are! I made that same discovery myself almost 2 months ago...

I followed the MFP suggested macros for 3 months, worked out for 90 minutes 3-4x a week ( 65 cardio, 25 strength) and barely managed to lose 7 pounds. As a matter of fact, I spent 2 months losing and gaining the same 3 pounds! Then I decided to try to cut carbs since I lost weight that way so easily when I was diagnosed with IR in '04. The first week I lost 4.8lbs..and since then I have lost an average of 1.3 pounds every.single.week!

So eating whatever I wanted as long as it fit within my calorie goal, I lost 7 pounds in 3 months...but by cutting my carbs down to 100g NET per day, I am losing 7 pounds per MONTH. How horrible is a diet where I naturally eat lower calorie foods to the point where I *have* to eat a FiberOne brownie with 2T of peanut butter on top for a bedtime snack? Yup, my calories are so low, I have snack like that to boost my net calories!

ETA: the funniest thing? My 90 minute workouts are no more...I was having too much trouble keeping my net intake up, so I cut my cardio down to 35 minutes, and I'm STILL losing at the same rate!
  • llarsen29
    llarsen29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump - something to consider...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I consume 320-340 grams of carbs a day and am still losing weight, could not imagine life without carbs or low carbs... but if it works for you great..... Best of Luck on your journey....
  • r121567
    r121567 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I can cut my carbs down to 100g but how do I get my protein up to 100g?

I am *SUPPOSE* to be eating 1200 calories before exercise but I am actually getting more in the 1000-1100 range.

Suggestions?
  • crafty_65
    crafty_65 Posts: 41
    Options
    I have been following the anabolic diet for 3 1/2 months. It makes it a lot easier to stick with the low carb thing. Low carb Monday through Friday (less than 30g), then pretty much whatever you want on the weekend. I have consistantly lost a pound a week and have not felt this great in years. I will be having blood work next week to check cholesterol.
  • jens_mission
    jens_mission Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol too and on meds for it, but want to change the way I eat instead of having to take the meds. I bought the clean eating book a few months ago....think I am going to get serious and start changing my ways. I am tired of processed foods....just feel blah after eating like that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!