Do you log when you binge?

Options

Replies

• blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i try to force myself to log what i recall eating. seeing it in writting helps it sink in my head, how i fetl after i did it. hoping that i keep that in mind for the next time(s), to encourage me to do less and less in the future.. since i'm sure it will happen again, i'm only human.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Ugh. But then I don't log after a while because I get totally depressed by it. Bingefree since May...so here I am...and happy. Trying to be happy with my relationship to food.

I thought I was the only one who did that. :[
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't that night, I try to remember what I had and do it the next day, that way when I hit "complete" it doesn't show up in my feed. I am with a program that looks over my food diary, so the shame from myself, and the shame from my trainer is bad enough, I don't want everybody in my friend circle to see it. And they might if they hit "see food diary" but at least it won't be offered to them, they would have to search for it. If I do really really really bad, I don't log it (usually because I can't remember everything I ate). I have a spreadsheet for myself to track my calorie intake for each day, and calorie intake for the week, and my measurements, so logging it on here helps me keep the spreadsheet up to date (I'm an organization freak and have an absolute blast keeping the spreadsheet up to date and creating new formulas for it, etc.)
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have one free-day a week, and I tend to have planned what I want to eat that day ahead of time, log it in advance and then adjust accordingly. I don't deny myself anything, I'm just sensible about. Tomorrows treats will include Jacobs Twiglets and Green & Blacks 85% Cocoa Chocolate.
  • irishkrissie
    irishkrissie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This just happened to me the other day. I logged everything in though & when I hit the complete this entry button & it told me how much i would weigh if i ate like that for five weeks, it was a real wake up call & made me want to get back on track....

That's a really great point! I should totally keep this in mind next time I have a bad day.

I didn't log on Wednesday, mostly because I don't remember exactly what I ate. If I estimated, it'd be about 2500 cals. My allowance for myself is that if I have a day I don't log everything, that's fine, but the next day I do twice the workout, and get 100% back on track cause I'm working too hard to let it all go for a bunch of junk I have had a million times before and can eat whenever again.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I log it, and if I don't remember what I had I log it as a custom food under "too much" or "Binge" and type in an obscene amount of calories just so I have a record of when it happens.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    I do, because why not?! It's just more motivation to get back on track! Plus it feels like I am trying to lie to myself which causes me more guilt than just being honest with myself. Don't stress you'll get back on track! :flowerforyou:
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The logging is a learning tool for me. I log everything.

Everything. It's not to shame me either....that isn't right I don't think. Shaming to me implies that I have done something bad and terrible...I haven't. I just ate too much. It's only food.

If I don't I cannot keep myself accountable!! I need to be able to see if I have trends, and if there are reasons for the binging...sometimes a pattern emerges that makes me go "OH.... trigger!!!"

I want to lose the weight. To lose the weight I cannot go on la-di-da-ing like I did before.... thinking oh this is little it wont count...a taste here and there isn't a big deal... well a large fry is only 50 cents more its on special!!!....It's only a small burger so it cant be that bad. It adds up. So I need to hold myself accountable and that is why I have a public diary. If I don't log it, it feels to me like I am slipping back into my hidden eating again and I cannot let myself do that. I am making the effort to step into the light, and sneaking back into the shadows for a twinkie and pretending that it never happened is not going to help me in the long run.

So everything gets logged. My motivators on here can see it, my family can see it, you all can see it, even my cats can see it if they wanted to. I don't care. I am doing this for me and I am not ashamed of what I eat. I see it, I eat it, I log it. I own it.

By logging it helps me to take control of my food and not let the food control me. It may win a battle from time to time (cos after all I am only human :) )....but I will win the war :)
  • sbroyles3
    sbroyles3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I ALWAYS log EVERYTHING. I've lost 88 pounds so far, and gone from a size 20 to a size 8. I would never have been able to come this far if I wasn't honest with myself. Logging the food into MFP doesn't make me gain weight -- eating it does. And make no mistake -- the only person I'm lying to is myself. MFP doesn't have a secret feature that reports back to my husband or doctor. I'm the only person who sees my Food Diary.

Once I log everything, it loses its power over me and becomes nothing but data. Then I do a better job of planning tomorrow. There's really NOTHING WRONG with going nuts once in a while! I have to log it, though, so I can keep track of when my last Cupcake Day was. (And you'd better BELIEVE I get them!) :o) If it's only been two weeks, then I should probably wait to have that cheeseburger, and go with the soup & salad combo instead. Three months? A day of decadence isn't going to hurt anything at all.

If I don't remember exactly what I ate (or went all "wild bear", as my daughter says), I round up. On the 4th of July, for example, I logged lemon cheesecake bars (1/4 of a pan -- don't remember how many but that seems about right. WOW, but they were fantastic), a large iced sugar cookie (I logged the biggest one I could find in MFP -- that cookie was as big as my hand, and SO worth it. Had an American Flag iced on it. International symbol of yummy), a slice of chocolate birthday cake (logged a big one, because this was one of those "professionally made" cakes from a bakery. I'm pretty sure it had actual chocolate melted into the icing. ), a red velvet mini cupcake with cream cheese icing (the one I ate just had regular icing, but I figured it probably evened out with that Godzilla of a cookie), 2 fudge brownies, a cup of gazpacho salad (that was my healthy thing for the day), a 1/2 cup of orzo past salad with shrimp (only had about 1/4 cup, but I did drag my finger through the icing on my husband's slice of cake -- so good), a side of pinto beans, and 6 ounces of beef brisket. And that was just my dinner! I had lunch, too. :)

Still not as bad as February 28th was -- that was free pancake day at IHOP. Nom, nom, nom...

So I have a BIG OL' RED BAR on Wednesday, July 4, and that is completely okay with me. And when I log my dinner tonight, I will see it, and I will say "No thank you" when the waitress asks if I would like some sopapillas. I will comfort myself with the knowledge that THIS YEAR (unlike last year), I'm going to TEAR IT UP on the holidays. And I shall look forward to the piles and piles of cranberry cream cheese rolls I am going to pack away like a wild bear in just 20 short weeks.

In the meantime, I will be a good girl, and I will finish meeting my goal and fit into those size 6 pants (because I'm only about 5 pounds away). I will snack on blackberries and hit the farmer's market for fresh tomatoes, and I will order the grilled talapia and the summer salad with no avocado.
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow great replies. I too as a fairly new ( 1month) log everything. I was binging alot but that reading at end saying what I would weight if I did it all the time. Well it snaps me up. sounds to me your body wanted sugar so you went for it. No one died so its not too bad.

I've liked doing this stats of calorie and excercise. Sort wheat from chaff
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    LOG EVERY SINGLE TASTE! My last CRAZY binge was over 3000 calories- maragaritas and mexican food out, then hitting up the chocolate bar in town, then late night lattes.....ugh. I have had major issues with my binge eating- still do, but bringing myself to log EVERYTHING nelps me avoid and actually helps me in the middle of the binges. Only thing to this day that has helped me at all- so my vote is LOG LOG LOG
  • DirtyStacks
    DirtyStacks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    the first time I binge, im never tracking my food again.

You are hilarious!
  • leanneb205
    leanneb205 Posts: 76
    Options
    i log everything, even single bites of chocolate bars i have!

Id be lying and thinking it was ok if i didnt xx
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I log it. There really is not point in using MFP if you don't.
  • MostMidgetlegs
    MostMidgetlegs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If its a planned binge, like I did over the holiday, I don't log it. If its a random day I just lose control, I'll try to log everything the best I can.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    log it
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Honestly I dont...but I know I need to ;-(
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I log every single indulgence when it happens, about once a month. Looking at everything I listed then stops me from continuing the binge into the next day or two. Once it's all listed I accept it and move on. No secret eating...own it. I also write what I was feeling and what was going on that day in the comments section. That helps to identify triggers that lead to a binge day for future reference.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever really binged.... maybe ate too much at restaurant's...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Usually - though if it is hard to log (like the party snacks I had last week, or a big dinner out) I might just put in a bunch of quick calories to record the numbers without worrying too much about the details.