Ladies- How many cals do you eat?

Options

Replies

• aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Looking at all of these answer...am I eating too little? Is it hurting my weight lost goals? I struggle to reach 1200 calories even on days I don't work out. Exception, friday...work tends to buy the most unhealthiest food for me to consume...
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Currently I am eating no more than 1200 a day, with running for 30 minutes twice a week and aerobics for an hour once a week. I have been on this diet 3 weeks and have lost only 4lbs :(.

I eat back some of my exercise calories but not all. My BMR is 1450 and m TDEE is 2000. So I normally have a 800 deficit, which should give me a 2lb weight loss a week, but it hasn't.

My aim is to get down to 145 - 140 before the beginning of my holiday in September and then once I've reached that weight I intend to up my cals to about 1500 until I reach my goal of 130.

An 800 calorie deficit is less than two pounds a week. 1000 per day would be 2 lbs per week. However unless you have a lot of weight to lose you might find this to be counter productive. And 4 lbs in 3 weeks is a good loss.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am set at 1360. I have found this incredibly easy to stick to AS LONG AS i dont eat much junk/fast food. If i am wise in my decisions while out at resturants, i can still have a good meal and stay under my calories.

I also do not work out much, and for whatever working out I do do, i dont count it.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I think there is a little bit of trial and error involved in finding what works for you. I'd like to drop a little more weight but running and lifting are priorities and I don't do either well without a good amount of calories in my system. I've played around with different levels and so far, 1600ish seems pretty good for me (and more on Saturday, when I do my long run).
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I generally net between 1200-1500 calories a day (usually closer to 1200), I eat back some/most exercise calories (or spend them on something awesome like rum and diet cokes).
    Me too! :drinker:
    I'm 5'8", 119 lbs and I exercise 7 days a week (20ish min before work, then either a 4-5k run or 45 minutes of strength on alternating days, I'm starting Insanity when the DVDs arrive).

I'm 5'7" and i'd kill to be 119! Even with my constant running I can't break 130. Maybe I should omit the rum and diets after all . . :wink:
  • shelleybelly35
    shelleybelly35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am perfectly healthy. I have great muscle tone and definition and am never lethargic. In fact, I have more energy than I have ever had. I eat whole foods, no processed junk foods. You want a lower net when you are dieting. My BMR is about 1000, and I have a low activity job, so it works for me. I guess people will do it their own way, but I see a lot of people struggling when they don't need to struggle. When nutritionists and trainers put you on a certain number of calories, they NEVER tell you eat your exercise calories. That would be counterproductive.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I am perfectly healthy. I have great muscle tone and definition and am never lethargic. In fact, I have more energy than I have ever had. I eat whole foods, no processed junk foods. You want a lower net when you are dieting. My BMR is about 1000, and I have a low activity job, so it works for me. I guess people will do it their own way, but I see a lot of people struggling when they don't need to struggle. When nutritionists and trainers put you on a certain number of calories, they NEVER tell you eat your exercise calories. That would be counterproductive.
    when nutritionist and trainers put you on a certain number of calories, theyre taking into account that youll do their program (exercise, etc).
    with mfp, they dont assume youll exercise so they give you a number to eat that involves your lifestyle excluding exercise - which is why when you do exercise it give you more calories to eat.
    nutritionist - eat 2000 calories a day and burn 500 on the treadmill.
    mfp - eat 1500 calories a day. oh you burned 500 on the treadmill? eat 2000 for the day.
    same math, different approach
  • shelleybelly35
    Options
    If it's miserable for you then don't do it. I eat healthy foods: turkey burgers, salad, veggies, fruit, beans, etc. I don't eat too many carbs, about 200-300 mg daily. So I eat all day long at 1200-1350 calories! I'm never hungry. I'm not sure I could eat much more than that. I think I am going to find it difficult to up my calories once I go to maintenance mode. I don't plan on EVER quitting the daily exercise.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    The last number I went by for losing was 1600-1700. I now maintain at 2000. I do not use MFP calculations but use TDEE.

Edit to add: When I did have MFP set to 1200, I did eat most of my exercise calories back.
  • Thaney61
    Thaney61 Posts: 1
    Options
    I stay under or at 1200 a day my DR told me i needed to do this in order to lose weight ..i have went from 191 to 170 in about 4 months. there have been maybe 4 days i went over..i am 5"7 50 years old i still need to lose20 pounds. ;0
  • shelleybelly35
    Options
    I'm not trying to argue with you, but no fitness trainer, my mom used to be one, or nutritionist would put you on 2000 calories if a fitness program assigned had you burning 500 a day.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to argue with you, but no fitness trainer, my mom used to be one, or nutritionist would put you on 2000 calories if a fitness program assigned had you burning 500 a day.
    really? it was a simple example to show the math is the same. plug in any damn number you want.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and anywhere from 149-151 lbs. I eat at least 2000/day but I'm training for a triathlon so I burn 400-800 calories a day. I'm not actively trying to lose weight while training but have lost a couple of lbs in the last month at this calorie intake. I'm happy at my current weight but would like to work on building muscle (once tri season is over).
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Light activity TDEE - 15%, which is 1720. But I'll eat 100-250 more calories on big workout days. I'm losing just fine too.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 2400-2500 calories per day to maintain my weight! When I was trying to lose I was eating between 2100-2200 calories per day!
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 168lbs. My daily goal is 1,380 calories. I work out every day burning between 200 and 400 calories.

I usually end the day about 300 calories under.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    1900 - keeps me satisfied, allows a splurge, and I can still lose. It's slower than I'd like, but I can stick with it.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    1800...every day. Sometimes I struggle with this and eat a bit over. I like food.
  • shelleybelly35
    Options
    You also didn't start out obese. There is strong evidence that metabolisms are different. I tried starting out with 1600 calories and never lost a pound at 230 pounds. I dropped it to around 1200-1400 and started losing weight. You were already 130 pounds, 100 pounds lighter than me.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I too am at 1800 a day, and find it incredibly tough to keep it there. :)