Everything I wish someone had told me 100 pounds ago...

Options
Woke up this morning, feeling oddly refreshed and invigorated and thought I would write a blog or post to help some of you newer folks along your path. Allow me to introduce myself, I have been around these parts for over a year and done some rather incredible things since I started my journey. I started out about 5 years ago at 325ish pounds and was a heart attack waitng to happen. Since then I have run numerous 5K, 10K, Half, and Full Marathons, gone rock climbing, scuba diving, kayaking, driven a stock car... basically I've whitled down my bucket list. Not bad for a guy who weighed 325, had 2 herniated discs in my lower back, sleep apnea, and chronic migraines.

Honestly, I was embarassed by my weight and humiliated publicly by others (including the staff at Disney World). But I digress...Life is cruel and sometimes we hit rock bottom. I know how it feels and wanted to share some info with many of you. The title of this post I think sums up a lot of this... it is things I learned along the way that helped me lose 100 pounds. Please digest it, accept that it would work for most (but probably not all... sigh) and that some people will dispute some of what I have to say. I'm not a Doctor, or Nutritionist... I do now coach running thru the Running Room. If this reaches you and helps you, I will be happy to say that I met my goal this morning to help ONE person with what I have to say. If it misses the mark, please don't flame or disparage me or anyone else... that is not what this is all about. Stay positive and do well unto your fellow human being.

So without further ado... Here are 12 tips\concepts or thoughts that helped me achieve my weight loss;

1.Log everything… how can you hope to reduce your consumption and manage your intake without understanding it? People who log their eating habits are up to 50% more likely to lose weight and keep it off.

2.A rolling stone gathers grows no moss, a body at rest tends to stay at rest. Fire up your metabolism and strive to exercise for 30 minutes per day. The Health Canada recommends 30 minutes of physical activity per day five days a week. More is better.

3.Drink the water. Sure you get enough water from your food to sustain you…but what about cleanse and flush out your system? Does your body know the difference between hunger and thirst? The electrical impulses in the brain often confuse the two. If you are allowing yourself to get thirsty… how often are you eating in lieu of drinking?

4.Strive to be active. While logging your meals is great, adjusting your activity level is even better. What worked for me was taking my lowest calorie meal of the day, and trying to burn it off with exercise. If breakfast is 400 calories… wouldn’t you benefit from 400 calories worth of exercise? It’s not a goal, or a guideline… but not so oddly it works. It doesn’t take long to burn 400 calories and gives you a daily target.

5.Examine why you eat… break the habit. I call myself a sedentary eater. I eat when I sit still and am bored. If you are a nervous eater, examine why you are nervous. Try to break from those routines.

6.Find snack substitutes… much like number five; we have preferences in our eating. People tend towards a particular type or texture of food (i.e. crunchy, salty, sweet) Find a reasonable snack substitute… i.e. carrots or celery instead of potato chips, raisins\cranberries etc. instead of candy. Look for a healthier alternative.

7.Read the labels. Just because something is low fat, doesn’t make it low calorie. Fat is often replaced with carbs to make up the taste. Look for low fat\low calorie alternatives. One of my favorites is Salsa instead of Salad dressing. One quarter cup of salsa often has less fat and calories than 1 Tablespoon of Ranch dressing.

8.Balance and vary your exercise… it helps keep you motivated and is easier on your system. Do Cardio one day and weights the next. Remember that muscle is your fat burning engine.

9.Put your fork down between bites. It will take you longer to eat; you will better chew your food and allow you to feel satisfied more quickly.

10.Drink a glass of water before meals. It volumnizes your food allowing you to feel full sooner.

11. Use a smaller dinner plate.

12. Check your portions -> If you are like me, your dinner plate used to be meat and potatoes. My meat portion used to be the size of a greeting card, it really should be the size of a playing card. My dinner plate is now 50% vegetables, 30% starches (potatoes/rice etc) and 20% meat. I also tend to bypass the toppings (i.e. the potatoe wheel is no longer welcome at my table)

Bonus tip: Here is one I hadn't thought of in a long time, it's called 5:30. It works like this Five servings of Vegetables and 30 minutes of Excercise a day. Its a simple goal. But it helps ensure you have consumed an adequate quantity of Vegetables and done an adequate amount of exercise.

Hope this helps! If you have tips... feel free to tack them on!

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,279 Member
    Options
    Well said! Some new great tips and some great reminders for those of us that have goals to meet. Thank you!
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This is great info...thanks for posting!! :)
  • aprice3320
    aprice3320 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I started on my weight loss journey on Jan. 2, 2012. I've lost 48 lbs. so far. I'm always looking for tips and motivation. I'd like to lose about 100 lbs total. I do not desire to be skinny just a healthy size.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I started on my weight loss journey on Jan. 2, 2012. I've lost 48 lbs. so far. I'm always looking for tips and motivation. I'd like to lose about 100 lbs total. I do not desire to be skinny just a healthy size.

48 lbs in 6 months is amazing! Congratulations. Keep up the hard work!
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You make a lot of great points here. It is always nice to be reminded. Congratulations on your loss!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting all your excellent tips. I especially love #4.
  • clamar1012
    clamar1012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That was great info - all very sensible. Thanks for taking the time to share all of that with us! I started my weight loss journey on Feb 5th and have done good so far - 35 lbs but still have a long way to go (about another 100lbs). And that's ok, it was process gaining it and will be a process lossing it but I have done better and last longer this time than most of the others combined and the number 1 reason - logging my food. It scares me to think that for the past 10+ years almost each meal I USED to eat had more calories in it than what I consume in an entire day now. Ugg!!!! What was i thinking????

20934354.png
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    That was great info - all very sensible. Thanks for taking the time to share all of that with us! I started my weight loss journey on Feb 5th and have done good so far - 35 lbs but still have a long way to go (about another 100lbs). And that's ok, it was process gaining it and will be a process lossing it but I have done better and last longer this time than most of the others combined and the number 1 reason - logging my food. It scares me to think that for the past 10+ years almost each meal I USED to eat had more calories in it than what I consume in an entire day now. Ugg!!!! What was i thinking????

20934354.png

Rome wasn't built in a day... it took most of us a lifetime to become where we are at today. I love your attitude and acceptance of the fact that it takes time! Sadly... I too used to be somewhat of a gourmand and would routinely consume 2,000+ calories in a sitting.
  • neryloo
    neryloo Posts: 5
    Options
    awesome! thanks for posting I really liked the 4th tip, definitely gonna try to incorporate some of these to my daily routine.:happy: :happy:
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    These are awesome tips. Thank you so much for sharing!

And congrats on the weight loss! You look fantastic.
  • rswood62
    rswood62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JoannaLouden
    JoannaLouden Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    congrats on all your success and thank you for sharing. I had not heard the 5:30 goal but I like it!
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    congrats on all your success and thank you for sharing. I had not heard the 5:30 goal but I like it!

5:30 works on the premise that most of us don't get enough exercise or vegetables in our diet. Our vegetables of course are a leading source of fiber, nutrients and minerals. If everyone in North America consumed 5 servings of veggies a day, my thinking is that the obesity rate would likely drop.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Great post! I follow almost every single one of these (I'm going to have to start trying to glass of water before the meal one!), and I can attest that they have all helped me have success. Big thanks for posting this jeffrodgers1! :smile: :drinker:
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Great post thanks for taking the time to write it.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and for a little extra motivation today. I'm nearing my 1 year mark - down 82 lbs and 63 inches so far with another 100 lbs to go. I'm still not where I'd like to be with veggies but I'm improving. Everything that you provided is something we can build into a lifetime routine. I'm a firm believer that the decisions and habits must work in our daily lives or we won't maintain them.
  • KHoiriis
    KHoiriis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great pointers and may I say good for you on a job well done. I too have lost over 100lbs before. The mark I missed though was the physical activity. 90 of those lbs have found me again. So I am starting over and this time including 30 mins of exercise each day!
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all your hard work, and thanks for taking the time to share this with us!

I really like the 5:30 concept; this is something that will be stuck in my head - in a good way of course! Thanks!
  • eaepright
    eaepright Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, especially for not saying we all need to get up and excercise at 5:30 in the morning (haha). Congrats on your weight loss!
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, its actually really useful! I started January 2012 and I'm still learning, so its great to have people posting tips and hints especially when they've proved it worked for them, 97 pounds is amazing!!