Heat Wave affecting exercise??

Options

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    It is def. affecting my workout schedule along with my sleep schedule. I try to get my workout in as soon as I get home from work @ 6:30am but my apartment gets so hot and we have our ac @ our new place... Just don't have the floors done yet to move into yet. I've been sleeping over 8hours a day. Ughhh!!!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm doing all my exercise indoors under the ac for the rest of the summer...I can't deal!
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I had this idea that I would go to the park and run...not happening!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    yes, because sweat doesn't equal exercise - or extra calories burned. so i'm not sure what the question is. all sweating does is dehydrate you.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Walk laps at the mall !! Lots of a/c there. If you can keep up with the mall walkers, you are doing great !!

THIS^^^^^ Hubby and I go to the mall and do laps after dinner,....its great cause we can take the kids, keep our family walks going and not die from heat exhaust...we live in the desert..it was 97 at 6am this morning...ugh!!!!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I still exercise despite the heat, but I can definitely feel it throwing off my groove. I sweat a lot more, my pace is slower, and I'm more exhausted by the end.

But lord, opening the front door at the end of a hot, sweaty run and entering an air conditioned house is on of the best feelings.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership...

There was a heat index of 104 here yesterday, I waited until 4 or 5pm to take a bike ride and it wasn't terrible. I drank a lot of water and if you sweat a lot it isn't always a bad thing...sweat that stuff out!! Bike rides aren't too over exerting either. After that I was at a friend's house on the elliptical and she has central air.

Today was worse, heat index of 111....I did laundry at the laundry mat which required a lot of lifting and carrying, and the mat doesn't have AC but they have a ton of fans going, so at least there was air moving.

If you drink a lot A LOT of water and don't over-do it, and try to stay cool ...you can get a little activity in.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The swimming pool is my best friend right now! :)
    You said it honey:wink:
    Same here - I'm actually exercising a little more because once I'm in the pool I can't stand to get out.

I foresee a lot of indoor workouts in front of the TV in the future. The DC area is brutal right now.
  • tappleton17
    tappleton17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just did 4 miles on my bike and it kicked my butt so yes big time heat affecting workout, I am in central air at home and had to walk it off then shower i was soaked head to toe.
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    it shouldnt affect your exercse

drink more water than usual and bring more clothes than usual for the extra sweating you will do

i wish my friends had more balls, i would play basketball outside in any kind of heat, dont matter to me as long as i stay hydrated and sit down to take a break erry now and then
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes, I want to go for a walk with the baby and it's too hot! When it actually cools down enough for a walk he is asleep... :(
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I'm getting an early start on my walking/running. It's warm but I get my hour walk in. Plus I make sure I drink water afterwards.
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The swimming pool is my best friend right now! :)

This!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i have asthma so i dont work out during heat waves. Other wise its too hard for me
  • godalego3
    godalego3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's hotter in Chicago IL than it is in Phoenix AZ.

Now that is unholy.. and wrong!

AMEN! No, I haven't gotten out as much as I would like, I did decide to mow the lawn around noon though. Figured that would count for something. Agree with all of the above. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've been hitting the gym less since most days it gets into the lower 90s and with humidity it's more like 100+ Fahrenheit. And yeah while the gym has A/C, it now also has more people in it and kids in the summer camp there so there's more bodies creating heat that overpowers the A/C. It takes less to wear me out or have me dripping with sweat and I do have asthma and a tendency to get heat exhaustion.

Like someone else said, the pool's my BFF right now. I may be outside but I'm in cool water.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I live in alabama. Humaity is something you get use to. Yet, don't think that because it's humid..That you don't have to drink that much water.

Drink water. Then drink more water, and well you get the point.

That being said. In this heat, when I clean the barn..I am covered in sweat.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's very hot where I am (Texas) but I am exercising anyway. I try to go outside either early, or late, to avoid the better part of the heat. But it's still hotter than Hell out there. I gotta do it though, so I do it. I just make sure that before I go out I drink at least a glass of water and when I get back I do the same. And I try not to push myself too hard unless it's feeling alright outside and not 100 degrees.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    People are always looking for an excuse not to exercise.
    Too cold, too hot, too wet, too dry....whatever.

JUST DO IT!
    Nothing gets in the way of exercise when a person is truly motivated.
    No Excuses!

Yup, I totally agree. Suck it up, it's summer time. I'm in NC, it's hot as hell here too. I know I'm drinking a whole lot more water these past few days. I drank about 60 oz just while I was working out for 45 mins. (it was about 78 in our house at the time)
    hydrate
    hydrate
    hydrate
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I work out in AC at home and NJ is in the heat wave too...I do sweat more than usual and this heat is affecting me but i'm still doing it. I'm making sure I drink plenty of water even though I'm indoors...central AC is designed to keep houses 18* cooler than the temp outside so I'm sure 2moro when it's 103* outside in Jersey it'll be 80* in here at some point...