Kindle stolen from gym. I feel too angry to return

Options

Replies

• katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Lots of really good stuff here. I had what I needed long ago, and I thought the thread had died (as it should have). Sorry I haven't responded to anything for hours. I had an experience on the way home. Thought I'd share. It's a long story but I'll try to keep it short. I live in the Washington DC area. I was driving home from work in about 100 degree heat when my car begins to overheat. Through 20 minutes of sheer stress and a single block (yes, traffic was that slow), I finally managed a spot to pull over. I found the first parking spot and went to the meter.

Aannnddd... each one of my 4 cards came back with a "card read error." I swear I'm not an overly emotional person. Until this week I hadn't cried in years. Floodgates and all, I guess. I started sobbing. Here I am, border of the ghetto, in incredible heat, with asthma, no inhaler (keep one at work, one at home. would explode in car), and the meter won't take my money. I see the meter maid walking down and ask for help. She is amazingly kind, gives me a number, and helps me pay for my space.

I walk to the McDonalds. It's the only business close by. I go in and ask to speak with the manager. I want to ask permission to sit until my car is cooled down enough to open the radiator. He not only granted me permission but gave me a glass of water and said that if I needed absolutely anything, all I needed to do was ask. He couldn't have been nicer. I got the store number and will contact corporate to comment on this amazing team.

I had three friends help over the phone, and one drive out to me. The one who drove out did so knowing it would make her late to her own farewell party (one which I now had to miss- and she is delighted drunk-texting me from). She helped me get it up and running, and I managed to get home.

So here's what I realized, through you guys, and through this ****ty situation today. There are terrible people in the world. They can see something and not care at all that it isn't theirs and take it. But today I was reminded that there are also truly wonderful people in the world. Six people stepped in to help me. Two of them were strangers with nothing to gain. Only one person was bad when six were good. I like those odds.

So in short, it's tough, but I'll get over it. So my car is going to have a new, probably hefty repair bill. That sucks. I can't really afford it, but in a way, I'm kind of glad it happened. It gave me a new appreciation of the good that exists in most people. Faith in humanity is still hurt, but not lost.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    So here's what I realized, through you guys, and through this ****ty situation today. There are terrible people in the world. They can see something and not care at all that it isn't theirs and take it. But today I was reminded that there are also truly wonderful people in the world. Six people stepped in to help me. Two of them were strangers with nothing to gain. Only one person was bad when six were good. I like those odds.
    *happy dance*
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your Kindle went missing but don't rush to judgment that the person who found it acutally stole it. I would post a note about the missing Kindle or maybe even call the apartment complex's main office to see if it was dropped off with them. Maybe a good person found it and decided to hold it for safe keeping?

That was my hope as well. But a week has passed, and no one has turned it in. The worst part is that my complex office won't let me put a sign in the gym offering a reward.

I would hopefully see if it turns up somewhere. Maybe if you're at the gym, ask around and see if anyone knows anything.

Even today at work, I found a cell phone. I picked it up waiting for the person to return to get it. When he came back, I flagged him down and he said "oh yeah I left it there with the intention of coming back." I had no way of knowing that so I just picked it up.
    But why should we blame others and not accept responsibility for something that was our fault? It was not stolen, it was left in a public place and unattended. Pure an simple negligence. If I left my car unlocked and the door wide open what right do I have to say it was someone else's fault that my car stereo was stolen?

This happened to me once. I left my truck doors unlocked and a thief stole all of my CDs. I was angry for about five minutes until my dad told me that it was my fault because I didn't do due diligence in trying to protect my car.

It was a valuable lesson.

If I'd had my window smashed it or whatever, I would be upset. But it was mostly my fault they were stolen so I had to get over it.

Of course, I hardly stay mad at people for too long.

You shouldn't have left it unattended, but you did and it was stolen. Now you have to realize that not everyone is evil. I understand you are having trouble being in the room, but you just have to put it past you. It is just a place with four walls. Sure, something bad happened there, and now you will be more diligent around your apartment complex. It is hard to return somewhere where something bad happened, as you have memories, but you have to make new memories in there by having some good workouts.
    It sounds like, since the gym was empty, it was wasn't so much "stealing" as it was "finders keepers." Did you ask the person who was working at the front desk if they'd found it?

Good point.

I wouldn't think that, but others would.

My mom found an iPod on the street before. We tried to Google the name that was on it, and found nothing, so we kept it.
  • martinierin84
    Options
    That sucks, but hopefully this is the first and last time this needs to happen to teach you a very valuable lesson...well maybe a few.. but first a foremost never, ever leave anything unattended anywhere. People who steal dont care if you are part of their family, neighbourhood, apartment, school etc etc etc. You sound like a nice girl- I'm sorry it happened.

But don't let some idiot ruin YOUR SUCCESS. Use it as motivation. Turn your anger into energy.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't usually leave things lying around or in lockers if I can't afford to lose them so no, never had this problem.
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I once was visiting another town at my brothers, at the movie theaters, and my purse accidentally fell out of my lap and I didn't realize it, well someone stole my entire purse, car keys, social security card, debit cards, everything. I lived two hours away from my brother, and my mom lived two hours away from where I lived. My mother was the only person who had a spare set of keys to my car. So, it was a 4 hour drive all the way to where my mom was to get my keys, and a 4 hour drive back. My brother had to pay his best friend to take me because he was not legally able to drive. All my money/everything was in my purse. I reported my social being stolen, and deactivated my cards, and my car was in the country at my bro's house and I had no cash on me (i do not ever carry cash on me) so they really stole my stuff for no reason because they couldn't get anything out of it but it just really was very inconvenient for me. I've also had my car broken into and my GPS stolen.
  • martinierin84
    Options
    Lots of really good stuff here. I had what I needed long ago, and I thought the thread had died (as it should have). Sorry I haven't responded to anything for hours. I had an experience on the way home. Thought I'd share. It's a long story but I'll try to keep it short. I live in the Washington DC area. I was driving home from work in about 100 degree heat when my car begins to overheat. Through 20 minutes of sheer stress and a single block (yes, traffic was that slow), I finally managed a spot to pull over. I found the first parking spot and went to the meter.

Aannnddd... each one of my 4 cards came back with a "card read error." I swear I'm not an overly emotional person. Until this week I hadn't cried in years. Floodgates and all, I guess. I started sobbing. Here I am, border of the ghetto, in incredible heat, with asthma, no inhaler (keep one at work, one at home. would explode in car), and the meter won't take my money. I see the meter maid walking down and ask for help. She is amazingly kind, gives me a number, and helps me pay for my space.

I walk to the McDonalds. It's the only business close by. I go in and ask to speak with the manager. I want to ask permission to sit until my car is cooled down enough to open the radiator. He not only granted me permission but gave me a glass of water and said that if I needed absolutely anything, all I needed to do was ask. He couldn't have been nicer. I got the store number and will contact corporate to comment on this amazing team.

I had three friends help over the phone, and one drive out to me. The one who drove out did so knowing it would make her late to her own farewell party (one which I now had to miss- and she is delighted drunk-texting me from). She helped me get it up and running, and I managed to get home.

So in short, it's tough, but I'll get over it. So my car is going to have a new, probably hefty repair bill. That sucks. I can't really afford it, but in a way, I'm kind of glad it happened. It gave me a new appreciation of the good that exists in most people. Faith in humanity is still hurt, but not lost.

Ok so I just read this and that is awful. I suffer from asthma as well, and this heat is brutal. The front of my neck actually started hurting today just speed walking with the doggie at 7 am lol.

Anyways, I wanted to reccomend a book to you: The Magic. Its a great book about feeling gratitude even when times are tough...it has done great things for me in my life....trust me...best $14 I ever spent.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    That really stinks..sounds like you did the right things,,notifying the Police etc. I can only recommend forgiving the person ..perhaps even praying for them...( that's, of course not excusing or making what they did ok) It's surprising how it might make you feel...:)
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    I hope we have a just and vengeful God.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Adding more as I read through this:
    I'm sorry that your property went missing, but let's be real here . . . I don't understand why you would have such a feeling of great violation when you left it behind. No one accessed your personal space and removed items from your person, home, or vehicle. Someone picked up a forgotten item that was left behind. Did they think someone would realize it was missing and come back for it, certainly, but they did not access your personal space to get it. Yes, you can be upset by it's loss, and you have every right to feel violated if you do . . . but I don't get it.

Part of me does really have to agree with this. I get it was a gym at your apartment, but it's still a public place.
    Any advice on getting over the anger?

Yes.
    Realize that the gym is just a place, and people are usually pretty decent. You came across one bad or misguided apple. Just remember to hold onto your stuff, and remember when you see people there that you are a good person, and put a smile on your face. Don't let them break you.

ETA - Think about this too. Do you really want to know who did it? It might be awkward to see them in the halls of the building or at the gym. I would just rather not know, and move on.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I really empathize with you. About 2 years ago, I had my car vandalized. Acid was poured over the hood of it, and stripped the paint off. I only had liability so no insurance to pay for it. And, since I wasn't planning to buy another car for years- no down payment for a new one. I loved my Jetta! Anyway, I called the police and of course there was nothing they could do about it. I had to continue driving my car until I could afford to buy a new one- which was about a year. I was angry about the situation for a long time.

It took me a couple of months to get over it. The only way I managed to get over it was by acknowledging that by holding on to the anger, I was allowing the criminal to control my life. As others have said, you just have to let it go. It's hard, especially thinking that the person might be walking around with the item or living in close proximity to you, or that it could be someone you actually know and are friends with. But, what can you do?? You can't let the person hold you hostage and control your emotional state.

So, maybe stay away from the gym for a while until you can fully accept the item is gone and you won't be getting it back. You can walk, run, or use exercise dvd's in the meantime. You can also ask your apartment managers to hold a crime prevention meeting (invite security or the local police) to discuss ways people can avoid being victims of crime in the apartment complex- and not just theft but all types. I wish you luck and hope you can let go of this soon.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I hope we have a just and vengeful God.

I hope He has more on His plate than to worry about what happened to an item that was carelessly forgotten and misplaced by it's owner. This thread needs to be retitled, "I carelessly left my kindle behind and now I'm mad about it even though it was my own fault." Sure, it would have been nice if whoever found it left a note or turned it into the office. That's what I do when I find *misplaced* cell phones or ipods. But he or she didn't. Cie la vie.

Lesson learned and 3 options for the future. 1. Don't take expensive items to the gym. 2. If you do take expensive items to the gym, treat them the same as cash and keep them on or around your person. 3. If you do take those items to the gym and lose or break them, chalk it up to Life, move on, and promise to yourself that you'll heed items 1 and 2 next time out.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The gym is the only place I know where being angry is really Useful and helps me in my weight lifting...it's fantastic ! It would be hard to put the stealer out of my mind tho.....but you know "what goes around, comes around." Don't you believe that ?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I once had an mp3 player of mine stolen by an employee at Planet Fitness. I know it was an employee because I verified over the phone that they had found it and were keepign it behind the counter. Went in, and it was nowhere to be seen.

How did you get over it? I mean, in your shoes I would be judging each and ever person I see and wondering if they were the one that took it. I mean, that's what I'm doing.

i just got along with my life i guess. no sentimental value.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I've had two cars stolen along with my kids' Christmas presents in the trunk of one of those cars, my home burglarized a few times, money taken out of my wallet, my wallet taken right off a church pew while I was in prayer and so on and so forth. While it was a bit unnerving at the time, I really didn't dwell on it. Of course, I've also never been one to develop emotional attachments to inanimate objects. Stuff happens. Let it go.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend once took the money i told him to use to pay billls to the gym and lost 500 dollars. :/ just wanted to share that things could be worse. we lived without utilities for a few months and food cut in like half.
  • johinz57
    johinz57 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey If it makes you feel any better I had gotten one the Android though for Christmas from my husband and My daughter kept begging to let her take it to school so she could read this book during class reading time and I kept saying no no no and finally I said ok but put it in the middle of your binder and be careful blah blah blah.. Well she was so upset and she had no Idea how it happened but its screen got smashed and now I don't have one either.. Lessons learned I felt bad for her because she felt so bad she was trying to make up some sort of accident that might have done it and she was crying I just said well that's a lesson for both of us when I tell you no this is why.. and I need to not give into my mothers intuitiveness and stick to my "no's " Right =-/
  • ellaaah
    ellaaah Posts: 2
    Options
    I had money stolen out of my wallet at the gym. 100$. I hope these people feel happy with themselves.
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    Never let someone have that much power over you to control your emotions like that.
    Is excellent advice!! Not just in this ugly situation but in all areas of your life. Only you can determine how you react to things!
  • plyotech
    plyotech Posts: 1
    Options
    I just look at it like this: I probably did something in my past to deserve it. I didn't really need it. And, they needed it more than I did. Done. Resolved. Nothing will ever bring it back. Forget it. Move forward.

Such a good attitude. Just let it go.

Seriously, That's the only way to look at it. Just know that, that somebody will get it 3x in return :) Get an I pad they have "GPS"