Why do people always have to put down my diet

Options
13»

Replies

• propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love how someone posts about people criticizing his diet plan, and all these fabulous supportive people on MFP immediately start criticizing his diet plan!

To the OP: DO what WORKS for YOU. If you want to Adkins, DASH, South Beach, Cabbage Soup, or chinese wontons and celery with hotsauce, it's nobody's business but yours.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Your profile says that you are interesting in lowering blood pressure. This is what the DASH diet is for. Why don't you give that a try for a while and see how it works. Just ignore the non supportive ones and I wouldn't even bother discussing it with your coworkers. People can be strange; who knows why they make the comments they do. Jealousy, joking, boredom?

(Gold Star for looking at his profile and first and seeing what his primary diet need is.) :)

Getting support from folks you live and work with can be hard since everyone else wants their salt. Planning meals for the family or even coordinating lunch runs with coworkers can be crazy. I too have to manage HBP and was able to bring it down a number of points through very tight control of sodium intake and avoiding anything at all that is known to raise it. That being said I eventually I eventually went on medication since I was still in a hypertension zone and what I was having to do to just get there really wasn't sustainable for the long term.

If your pressure is not too high then DASH may work fine for you but you really need to stick to it and read product sodium content labels. There is so much hidden salt in the foods that we eat that if you're trying to keep your intake below 1200mg it's a chore. I've never heard of cutting out sugar as a means of lowering it, although by doing so and dropping weight I suppose there is an indirect correlation there. I end up cooking most of what I eat. If you haven't visited with a doctor about this topic yet he's really the first place to start with all this.

Good luck sir. Get that BP down and keep it there. It's "the silent killer". The threat of growing an enlarged heart, stroke, or death itself is a pretty good motivator to stay on point with managing your BP even if you don't have the best support system around you. Feel free to friend req. me if you'd like. I'm sure that there are plenty of others on here that cope with BP issues that would offer up their friend buttons too.
  • angelcop74
    angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    People being hung up on the word "Diet" and saying they aren't good need to do their research. It's disturbing to me that people on a fitness site would recommend to someone with High Blood Pressure to NOT Follow the DASH diet because it has the word "diet" in the title.
    DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. The DASH diet is a lifelong approach to healthy eating that's designed to help treat or prevent high blood pressure (hypertension). The DASH diet encourages you to reduce the sodium in your diet and eat a variety of foods rich in nutrients that help lower blood pressure, such as potassium, calcium and magnesium.
    And hon, if you are serious about your health and think you can do it, DO it. Anyone who loves you, and cares about your health will back you up.
  • angelcop74
    angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Your profile says that you are interesting in lowering blood pressure. This is what the DASH diet is for. Why don't you give that a try for a while and see how it works. Just ignore the non supportive ones and I wouldn't even bother discussing it with your coworkers. People can be strange; who knows why they make the comments they do. Jealousy, joking, boredom?

(Gold Star for looking at his profile and first and seeing what his primary diet need is.) :)

Getting support from folks you live and work with can be hard since everyone else wants their salt. Planning meals for the family or even coordinating lunch runs with coworkers can be crazy. I too have to manage HBP and was able to bring it down a number of points through very tight control of sodium intake and avoiding anything at all that is known to raise it. That being said I eventually I eventually went on medication since I was still in a hypertension zone and what I was having to do to just get there really wasn't sustainable for the long term.

If your pressure is not too high then DASH may work fine for you but you really need to stick to it and read product sodium content labels. There is so much hidden salt in the foods that we eat that if you're trying to keep your intake below 1200mg it's a chore. I've never heard of cutting out sugar as a means of lowering it, although by doing so and dropping weight I suppose there is an indirect correlation there. I end up cooking most of what I eat. If you haven't visited with a doctor about this topic yet he's really the first place to start with all this.

Good luck sir. Get that BP down and keep it there. It's "the silent killer". The threat of growing an enlarged heart, stroke, or death itself is a pretty good motivator to stay on point with managing your BP even if you don't have the best support system around you. Feel free to friend req. me if you'd like. I'm sure that there are plenty of others on here that cope with BP issues that would offer up their friend buttons too.
    ^^ And all of this. :)
  • stephenwebbe
    stephenwebbe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For me dieting/watching what I eat is a very personal thing and I'm very sensitive about people talking about my weight or giving me unsolicited advice, so I know how you feel when you say your co-workers pick it apart.

I found that I needed to get to a place mentally where I truly knew in my mind that this is my diet, and I am doing it only for me and nobody else. Once I got to that place, I didn't care what other people thought because it wasn't any of their business.

One of my co-workers continued to get on my nerves with constant suggestions. I didn't like it so I just asked her to stop. It actually worked. I told my co-worker that although I knew she was well intentioned by giving me suggestions, I was very sensitive about my weight because of how I was treated in the past, and I would prefer not to talk about it. I tried to be as nice about it as possible, and I tried to not make it big deal, and she took it really well.

When you are ready to talk to others about it then open up, but don't let others bring you down.
  • ronaldmcyd
    ronaldmcyd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody :happy:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Man up, for God's sake. If your diet has a name, you're doing it wrong.

--P
  • HUNGRYHIPPO68
    HUNGRYHIPPO68 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to find a diet that works for me and makes me feel good. It seems like every time I find a diet I get real excited about other people are always putting me down.

For example my girlfriend told me about the bitter truth thing on youtube. I watched it and I went on the diet with her to support her, then I tell my co-works at work and they rip on me for weeks everything I eat is picked apart and I never hear the end of how unhealthy it is.

Then I hear about the DASH diet, it seems like the perfect diet for me, does my girlfriend support me absolutely not, She laughs at me, and tells me it will never work and it's the exact opposite of what I need ....

I think I just need some new friends

Hi There :smile:
    Ok for years I have battled with weight issues and every time I have gone a diet I have told friends and family BIG FRIGGING mistake my dad shreds me whenever I put something to my lips that he thinks is wrong Strewth a nightmare but he is my dad and I love him so I just smile and used to say ok dad
    As for friends well true friends support encourage if they dont they aint worth it.

The point I am making we are all different bodybuilders have a different diet, people with health problems have a different diet, those who want a quick fix needing to lose those few pounds may have a different diet we are all different
    My husband bless him has never critisized me or called me fat etc (wish he had on a few occassions lol ) he always supports me through every step I have gone through..

Now I dont tell anyone its easier nobody knows I am losing weight except people here and my diet buddies on facebook who are all in same boat
    For me a major epiphany has happened for years having people constantly taking the P*ss and telling me I should or shouldnt do this or that It made me feel guilty as though I had a dirty little secret they made me feel ashamed as if dieting was was a sin so I would hide away and sabotage myself and everything that hurt me me made things worse and I just piled on more weight and failed
    Now I am doing it my way and for 3 weeks not one single chocolate bar etc has touched my lips Yes I did have a packet of crisps last week but that was a treat (usually I would stuff a multipack down my throat)

I guess what I am trying to say is do it your way if it works for you brilliant just dont tell anyone let the see the changes as you go along
    Good luck keep your head high xx
  • Timetogetskinny
    Timetogetskinny Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Do what feels right to you! Who cares what your co-workers think and especially your GF!! I would say she's jealous... she knows you can lose much more and much faster than her!

Review your stats and your eating habits. The only way to really feel good is to watch your intake of food and workout daily. In the long run...

What matters is what you feel is right for you! GOOD LUCK! =D
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I would ignore all the negativity and do what is best for you. I understand that the DASH diet is designed for people with high blood pressure etc but I am not an expert by any stretch.

I hope you find something that works and to hell with anyone else.

Just stay healthy, get lots of protein and water and make sure you make sensible choices.

All the best!