Tracking Calories...a diet killer

Options

Replies

• bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    You are young and most likely capable of physical exertion. My son, at age 19, started watching what he ate, also trying to squeeze in some exercise. He didn't count calories either. He knew that he had to steer clear of certain foods, eat smaller portions, and increase activity. He's 20 now, and in about 9 months has lost 59 pounds. He is one of my inspirations to do something once and for all to decrease my weight and get healthy again.

However, I'm not so lucky. I'm older and not capable of the strenuous exertion that I was capable of even in my 40s. I have to count calories in order to lose weight. My problem was that even though my activity level decreased significantly as I got older, my food portions did not decrease in size. Add that to hormone issues and orthopedic problems and you get one obese female. I know that I must redefine my lifestyle habits in order to change. I need tools to accomplish this. Along with my MFP friends, the food diary and exercise diary hold me accountable. They are like a second conscience, another little voice inside my head, that ensures that I'm aware of what is actually going in my mouth and whether I've done anything about it exercise wise.

If you do what you've always done, you get what you've always got. I have to change my habits!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    How is this concept so difficult to understand? Go eat 10 cans of greenbeans (a total of 700 calories) I promise you wont eat again today, and look! You only had 700 calories and you were full!

Clear, now?

Ew. No thanks. Protein and fat help with the "satisfied" feeling that you speak of. A nice omelete with an ounce (yes, I measure my food) of full fat cheese and some veggies would keep me satisfied far longer than 10 cans of green beans.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    Are avocados "bad"? If you are losing weight, absolutely. That would be counterproductive. But if you are a weightlifter and you can support/need more calories than someone who doesn't do weightlifting, no. right now, I wouldn't touch any avocados.

You have got to be kidding on this one!! Avocados are extremely good for you. You need to budget your calories to make room for the important nutrients you need - and many of those are found in avocados!

You have got to be kidding me. I will repeat myself, again.

I never said avocados are bad, they just are when you are DIETING. You can get the same nutrients from other sources that will help you feel more SATISFIED physically in your stomach. It is about the volume of food you eat in COMPARISON with the calories that volume provides.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    To the original poster....I have to respectfully disagree on several points.
    Point 1.....I don't feel calorie counting is a 'diet' killer....first of all most of us are on here not because we need to diet, but because we need to change our lifestyles...that happens to include eating, how we eat, why we eat, what we eat, etc. It also includes regular exercise, drinking plenty of water, maintaining a healthy attitude, for some of us accountability, support, well-thought out suggestions.
    For me, not just calorie counting, but keeping up with carbs, proteins, fats, sugars, ..... helps me to realize what I am putting into body each day. This helps me regulate not only my weight, but diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, and the list could go on.
    Point 2....Nutrition matters....not just whether we are putting a certain amount of calories in our mouths, but are they beneficial? Everyone 'needs' good fats daily. Avocados are a way to get good fats. I think boning up on nutrition would be very advantageous for you, as it is for all of us.
    Point 3....That's fantastic that you have lost some 75 pounds over the years....BUT you are here because you have regained some or all of it. Hence, nothing was learned or heeded.
    I am here because I need it, my health demands a change and I am ready and willing to do it and learn. I know there will be stumbling blocks along the way....but also that each of them are a CHOICE.
    It's a change in lifestyle.....not a diet....and until a person is ready to accept that....no fad, website or top-selling book means a thing.

Perfectly stated! :flowerforyou:
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    How is this concept so difficult to understand? Go eat 10 cans of greenbeans (a total of 700 calories) I promise you wont eat again today, and look! You only had 700 calories and you were full!

Clear, now?

Ew. No thanks. Protein and fat help with the "satisfied" feeling that you speak of. A nice omelete with an ounce (yes, I measure my food) of full fat cheese and some veggies would keep me satisfied far longer than 10 cans of green beans.

No, I don't think anyone should literally do this. The point is you would be FULL and not be able to eat anymore. THUS you would have only eaten 700 calories for the day (obviously no other nutrients but NO ONE would actually do this I hope)

But the thing when you pick foods that have nutrients but are lower calories in comparison with volume, it will help make dieting much easier.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Your satiety level IS heavily affected by food volume but calories and macronutrients matter to satiety, too. If they didn't we could all fill up on water.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you stopped drinking?:laugh:

^^^^^ Love
  • tomdVT
    tomdVT Posts: 30
    Options
    For the record, I did lose quite a bit of weight without tracking (30-40 lbs). It's those last 5-10 lbs that are more challenging, so that's why I'm trying to get more diligent about logging. I'm also pretty active, so it would be all to easy for me to go "I'm hungry and I've been on my feet and lifting stuff all day, I'm sure I can have a second portion of ___".

Yep, ditto for me too.

That said, I don't like to associate the word "diet" with something we do to lose weight when it is more accurately the life style change we make by IMPROVING our diet along with becoming more active causing the weight loss.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    And what exactly do I have to learn from this statement?

High calorie foods cause you to gain weight period. They could be strawberries or they could be KFC.

The point Ive been trying to make is about VOLUME your stomach can hold.

For example:

Someone who is overweight wouldn't run to the store and buy a bunch of avocados...they may be healthy but they will set you back for the time being. The whole point of a good diet is to get vitamins and nutrients but at the same time, EAT FOODS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL SATISFIED.

Yes, you can drink chocolate milk, yes you can eat avocados, yes you can have macaroni and cheese but will the portion size of those things fill you up like a side of green beans or carrots? NO!

The point is people often struggle dealing with hunger (myself) and telling them to eat less of a good tasting (or good for you item that can be substituted like avocados) in my honest opinion is terrible advice! You want them to eat foods that have less calories but help them feel full...which I dont see avocados doing for the calories it possesses.

You do seem to have a fair bit to learn about nutrition. Saturated fat is really the main thing to avoid. And strawberries are not a high calorie food at all. If you're in college you might think about throwing a nutrition class in there. And just as an fyi, some people have put on weight because they under-ate for years without realizing it, and slowed their metabolism as a result.

Also, quoting posts is good when you're replying to a specific comment.

Thanks for the tip. I threw strawberries in the mix, because they are bit higher than a lot of vegetables.

I am not telling anyone to under eat, all I am saying is If you choose to eat a calorie dense food like mashed potatoes and either have a smaller portion or a smaller portion of another meal later, it is going to be harder on you to feel satisfied, because those potatoes aren't going to leave a physical impact on your stomach. I think this makes dieting harder.

That is all.

I understand that. I wasn't saying you were. I can see that you are trying to have a rational discussion, but please be aware that you might be getting a little defensive. Completely understandable, just something to be aware of.

I am someone who will need to track my food for a very long time, if not for life. I have under-eaten for nearly all of my adult life, because I wasn't tracking, but was trying to "watch" what I ate. I'm currently in a metabolism reset with the aid of a device that calculates what I burn all day everyday, and I have NEVER eaten this much before (or even close).
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    And just as an fyi, some people have put on weight because they under-ate for years without realizing it, and slowed their metabolism as a result.

Yep. This is me for sure. And when I ate, it wasn't the best or most nutritious. I'm now eating a healthy caloric intake and am no longer sedentary. Wow. Who knew! lol
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    Your satiety level IS heavily affected by food volume but calories and macronutrients matter to satiety, too. If they didn't we could all fill up on water.

Water and food material are a little bit different, physically first of all. I agree with you. that those things matter, yes, 100%, but the amount you eat in COMPARISON with the volume is what really matters. I could eat a mcdonalds cheeseburger and get 20g of protein and this vitamin and that or I could eat a larger chicken breast, fill satisfied (full) and take a vitamin supplement.

That is the point. and what, thatd be something like 400 calories to 200?
  • jenb41
    jenb41 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love tracking! It helps me know not only what foods are better than others it has been a wonderful tool in tracking my carbs. I am type 2 diabetic. I love knowing I have not over done or under done my day.. that the food I eat is healthy (not that I don't have foods that are not the best for me now and then). I have in a short time.. lost 26lbs, and lost all the insulin and meds I had to take!! MFP has been amazing for me!!! =) I will keep on tracking.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Clear, now?

No, I don't think anyone should literally do this. The point is you would be FULL and not be able to eat anymore. THUS you would have only eaten 700 calories for the day (obviously no other nutrients but NO ONE would actually do this I hope)

But the thing when you pick foods that have nutrients but are lower calories in comparison with volume, it will help make dieting much easier.

Food volume is a factor in satiety but it is not the only factor.

I eat ice cream multiple times per week and my bodyfat % is going down regularly because I understand the proper total amount of food to consume. I'm able to eat "some" junk food among a "mostly" nutrient dense diet. I ALSO incorporate meals that allow me to volumize due to low calorie density.

Establishing a good relationship with food is important. Labeling foods as good or bad doesn't help this cause, in my opinion.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you. Food can be classified as good/bad. How? calories per portion size. For example:

12 oz bottle of chocolate milk: 200-something calories
    12 bottle of skim milk: at least 50-70 calories less. I don't need to track calories to know that the chocolate milk contains a lot more sugar and calories and it would be the least favorable option.

Fried chicken to baked chicken, I dont need to know that friend chicken has 200 more calories than baked.

If you are eating "healthy" food (meaning lower calories per portion alternatives) it is going to really hard to become obese on a typical 2000 calorie diet once you have your stomach shrunk to accept only 2000 calories.

Chocolate milk is a 'good' food if you are a runner. It is the perfect carb/sugar/protein mix to have after a run, as a recovery drink. So, chocolate milk is not 'bad'. If it were only that easy, we'd all be fit and fabulous without much effort.
  • Seahawks909
    Options

Clear, now?

Food volume is a factor in satiety but it is not the only factor.

I eat ice cream multiple times per week and my bodyfat % is going down regularly because I understand the proper total amount of food to consume. I'm able to eat "some" junk food among a "mostly" nutrient dense diet. I ALSO incorporate meals that allow me to volumize due to low calorie density.

Establishing a good relationship with food is important. Labeling foods as good or bad doesn't help this cause, in my opinion.

Dude I 100% agree with you. Good/bad are subjective on your goals.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!!! (Am I the only one here?) This weird thing happens for me when I count calories, and I end up eating more restaurant and processed food simply because its easier to keep track of it. The counting of it all also seems to make me eat more, beacuse I end up so focused on numbers and less focused on how my body feels. I have counted calories for two years now, with only 8lbs of success. However, having counted for so long, I find keeping a loose count as a guideline and to prevent over indulgence is helpful. For now, I am not logging my food but focusing on general amount and quality of choices. Lots of fresh food, no gluten (my current experiement), lots of water, minimal sugar and processed foods, nothing fried. For the past 2 weeks, its been working. The true test is to see where I am in the next two months.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy tracking my calories, but I will most likely not track calories for the rest of my life (unless I have trouble maintaining). I have a poor relationship with food. By tracking I'm making myself more aware of what I'm eating; essentially, I'm teaching myself how to eat. I know lots of healthy people who don't have to do this, but I have to. My hunger signals are broken. I've spent too long using food as comfort / self-medication to have an intuitive sense of what's appropriate. Enter, MFP.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    And what exactly do I have to learn from this statement?

High calorie foods cause you to gain weight period. They could be strawberries or they could be KFC.

The point Ive been trying to make is about VOLUME your stomach can hold.

For example:

Someone who is overweight wouldn't run to the store and buy a bunch of avocados...they may be healthy but they will set you back for the time being. The whole point of a good diet is to get vitamins and nutrients but at the same time, EAT FOODS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL SATISFIED.

Yes, you can drink chocolate milk, yes you can eat avocados, yes you can have macaroni and cheese but will the portion size of those things fill you up like a side of green beans or carrots? NO!

The point is people often struggle dealing with hunger (myself) and telling them to eat less of a good tasting (or good for you item that can be substituted like avocados) in my honest opinion is terrible advice! You want them to eat foods that have less calories but help them feel full...which I dont see avocados doing for the calories it possesses.

You do seem to have a fair bit to learn about nutrition. Saturated fat is really the main thing to avoid. And strawberries are not a high calorie food at all. If you're in college you might think about throwing a nutrition class in there. And just as an fyi, some people have put on weight because they under-ate for years without realizing it, and slowed their metabolism as a result.

Also, quoting posts is good when you're replying to a specific comment.

Thanks for the tip. I threw strawberries in the mix, because they are bit higher than a lot of vegetables.

I am not telling anyone to under eat, all I am saying is If you choose to eat a calorie dense food like mashed potatoes and either have a smaller portion or a smaller portion of another meal later, it is going to be harder on you to feel satisfied, because those potatoes aren't going to leave a physical impact on your stomach. I think this makes dieting harder.

That is all.

I understand that. I wasn't saying you were. I can see that you are trying to have a rational discussion, but please be aware that you might be getting a little defensive. Completely understandable, just something to be aware of.

I am someone who will need to track my food for a very long time, if not for life. I have under-eaten for nearly all of my adult life, because I wasn't tracking, but was trying to "watch" what I ate. I'm currently in a metabolism reset with the aid of a device that calculates what I burn all day everyday, and I have NEVER eaten this much before (or even close).

If you notice, I am only responding to people who are on the offensive. there have been 20 people disagree I haven't talked to. The whole point was for opinion not how stupid I am for not counting calories.
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    oh, I can relate to what the OP is saying, because I resisted the constant recommendation that I "count calories". I thought that since I have enough trouble with a lifetime of obsessive compulsive disorder that I just didn't need one more obsessive compulsion. Then, about 6 mos ago I read somewhere (somewhere reliable) about a study of dieters who tracked calories versus those who were not tracking and the trackers had a 25% higher rate of success or lost 25% more weight - can't remember the specific, but I thought 25% was significant enough to think about become an obsessive compulsive food logger. Then I discovered MFP and didn't resist food journaling for very long, because I wanted to take advantage of what this site has to offer. I found that it wasn't that hard to do. Once I got used to it, it was something I did while my meal was cooking (pretty much determining how large the portions would end up...)and I learned to log in my own recipes, and keep them in a separate section. It can be as personal as you make it... and if you log the food before you eat it, then go and enjoy it - you're done until the next meal.

That being said, I recently stopped logging my food for about 2 months. I started a new relationship and had surgery - both things which turn my life upside down. Now, life is settling in and I want to get back to my "program" of excellent food journaling and even more exercise than before, but I'm having some resistance that annoys me greatly. MFP has given me a foundation that I know will get me back on track. I just don't know how long it will take. I'm even battling resistance to checking my weight occasionally. That's always been a sign that I'm in trouble.

The one constant that I know will save me is MFP. I just try every day to work on the food logging, get some exercise and spend some time here. It's hard to accept that every little attempt is a positive step and will eventually lead me back to my previous obsessive compulsive relationship with MFP (that's a healthy compulsion). It is the right step and I have a lot of faith that this works and that I'll soon be keeping obsessive compulsive records of every bite that passes my lips. It's not forever - like others have said - it's a training exercise and it takes time to become a habit.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

If you notice, I am only responding to people who are on the offensive. there have been 20 people disagree I haven't talked to. The whole point was for opinion not how stupid I am for not counting calories.

Just to be clear, I DONT think it's stupid to not count calories. If anyone is capable of eating roughly the right amount of food, (without having to entirely eliminate enjoyable foods) to reach their fitness/body composition/health goals without tracking things, then absolutely do it.

I just don't think the majority can.
This discussion has been closed.