Plantar fasciitis

Options
1235»

Replies

• lazydaisy88
    lazydaisy88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel you! Mine was in the morning, but also any time I rested my leg for more then 15-30 minutes . . . very painful and frustrating! My doctor suggested a boot at night; I ordered it online. Worked wonders. I could feel it stretching out and apparently that is when the micro-tears heal(?). Who knew! Also, I used ice which was counter-intuitive because I thought it needed heat . . Additionally, I used something called "Foot Rubz" for dancers . . I bought them off Amazon. One for under my desk at work and kept one at home for the evenings/mornings. The first few minutes are a bit intense, but then magical . . . Been great for almost two years now . . . :bigsmile:

Edit: I have my boot (night splint) from here, but bought it off Amazon also.

http://www.birdcronin.com/
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had this and fixed it myself after someone explained why it was happening.

The muscle that pulls your foot downward is stronger than the muscle that pulls it forward. During the night, your foot is pulled downward, shortening the muscle. Now, you must have torn your muscle, minutely most likely, at some point. So, when you went to sleep that night, the muscle was shortened. When you got out of bed the next day and stood on it, the muscle lengthened and the tear what was healing during the night was retorn, causing you pain.

There is an easy solution to this problem - don't let the foot be drawn backward during the night.

To prevent the dropping of the foot, and therefore the shortening of the muscle, you can do one of three things:

1. Have the doctor prescribe an orthodic that you wear at night to prevent the dropping, or
    2. Buy a pair of those high-top shoes that basketball players used to wear and wear them at night, or
    3. Make an open cast of your foot that will prevent the foot from dropping during the night, but that you can slip on and off. You can put a sock over it to hold it in place.

If you do this for about four weeks, I can guarantee that the pain will be gone.

Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    5 clients that I have had switch over to Vibrams had their PF go away. Sometimes shoes that have supports are the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I have the heel suprs as well and the dr said that I can get the shots but Im not sure if I can stand having shots in my feet. Where would I get one of the night time boots?

The shot will hurt like hell........BUT the first shot i got took the pain completely away for 6 whole months! The second time i got the shot it did absolutely nothing for the pain....i would recommend at least trying it though......but take someone with you for moral support - no joke.

Also, I found a night split that it more like a sock.......so it will not be so bulky when you sleep. Here is the link to it. I've found it super helpful for me.

http://thesock.com/

good luck and keep your chin up, girly!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    i just found a youtube video and tried this 15 second (two times per day) exercise he said in three days you should notice a huge difference. WOW--I just tried it one time and felt INSTANT relief!:drinker: I'll continue to try this as well as the many other wonderful suggestions on this thread. THANK YOU OP for starting this thread!!!!!

This video is VERY short...less than 2 minutes--HTH someone else

Resolving Plantar Fasciitis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4g6lRSA_E&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL1B794B06FC6097C0

or

http://tinyurl.com/88r4384
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had it so bad for almost a year. I found Brent Abel (a tennis pro who had it also) on the internet, and he has a whole programme for recovering from it. It is the best thing I ever did, cost around €35 and I did it religiously every day. It took two weeks to really start working, (but I had put up with the pain for a whole year at that stage). I have never looked back and best of all, no medication! If you need more info, just ask. The website might appear a little hokey, but believe me, Brent Abel really knows what he is talking about.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I had PF and for me it was a simple matter of changing my shoes because at the time I was working 12 to 16 hours a day in retail as a manager and stood on my feet all day .... I found that for me New Balance have and still are the best shoes for me to wear on a daily basis ... to this day I still find my feet killing me the next morning if I had not work my new balances the day before (i.e. I chose to wear heels to a wedding recently .... I looked good but the next morning was TERRIBLE!!!)
  • TipsyT
    TipsyT Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have Achilles tendinitis, the cousin of PF, and two knees which are bone-on-bone. Before I could tolerate working out in the pool I used an AWESOME DVD to burn calories without any any stress to my knees and heel: "Fat Free Yoga" by Ana Brett and Ravi Singh (available on Amazon). I was able to do this yoga even when over 200 lbs overweight. I did not do all sections of the DVD but did the ones that I could manage and I always finished dripping sweat but feeling great. I highly recommend this for anyone who can't tolerate direct weight on their feet, knees or legs but still wants a really good workout.

Trish
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This might be a little "woo-woo" for some people, but when nothing else worked I tried foot massage/reflexology and reiki treatments and it worked WONDERS. I went as often as I could afford (used the money I wasn't putting out for co-pays and shots) and it was like I got brand new feet. I went from barely able to stand first thing in the morning to painfree. (Not all at once, it took several treatments, but with every treatment it was better and better.)