Bikes

2»

Replies

• wazjoe
    wazjoe Posts: 20
    I want a bike that can handle quite a bit, so not just something that is cheap and wont last long. I plan on using it a few times a week on the trails near me which have a lot of hills and what not so something sturdy would be great of course. Price range, $500 is a bit much for me at the moment. I am looking more around $200 - $300.
    Your welcome :) I'd recommend buying a seat cushion along with it also lol.

I have a feeling most bikes don't come with comfy seat so a cushion is for sure on the list, lol.

Oh and nice shirt by the way. My boyfriend has the exact same one. I assume you are a gamer/computer geek as well. :P

Ya it wasn't that comfortable so bought a seat. And ya a gamer/comp geek. I wore that shirt for st pattys day.
  • AVOID WALMART and KMART brand bikes!

Check Craigslist. I got my Specialized Hardrock on craigslist for 350, only used twice. It's a 800 dollar bike new.

Specialized, Raleigh, Diamondback, Trek are a few good brands to look for. Since you're just starting out, I'd try to find a lightly used entry level name brand hard-tail bike. Take it to your local bike shop for a quick look over and tune up, then hit the trails :)

Once you decide on if you enjoy it or not, then you can start looking into the more expensive full suspension bikes.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    My uncle swears by his Trek bike. He rides, on average, 26 miles a day and he won't buy any other brand after this bike.

I have a Schwinn, and other than an issue with the tires not wanting to stay inflated, it's a great bike.
  • merlot55
    merlot55 Posts: 4 Member
    If you can't spend the money on a good bike then don't go to a bike shop and test ride one because there is a real difference and you will never be happy with an inexpensive one. I ride a Cannondale hybrid and it is difficult to ride anything else (yes I am a bike snob)

I would buy some padded bike shorts because if you ride and hurt afterwards it may not matter how much you spend on your bike if don't get back on it.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    I love my Trek hybrid. 10 years old and doing just fine. I suggest paying a bit more for a good bike that will last you vs buying a Walmart brand.
  • As far as clothes go, walmart sells starter work out clothes that are almost exactly the same as underarmor. When it's cold I just layer up and remove layers as I get warmer.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    AVOID WALMART and KMART brand bikes!

Check Craigslist. I got my Specialized Hardrock on craigslist for 350, only used twice. It's a 800 dollar bike new.

Specialized, Raleigh, Diamondback, Trek are a few good brands to look for. Since you're just starting out, I'd try to find a lightly used entry level name brand hard-tail bike. Take it to your local bike shop for a quick look over and tune up, then hit the trails :)

Once you decide on if you enjoy it or not, then you can start looking into the more expensive full suspension bikes.

I have had my Hard Rock for almost 20 years. I haven't riden much in the last decade but before that I was an animal bending rims and handlebars but the frame and moving parts have endured problem free. I have about 80 miles on it this week already.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    In the late 90s I bought a Mongoose from a sporting goods store...it was my first quality bicycle.
    In 2005 I bought a Mongoose from Walmart...It was junk.

Cheap bikes are heavy, and feel cumbersome, they are aggravating to ride, which means you won't do it as often.

Two weeks ago I bough a late 90s Univega Via Montega hybrid for $130 off craigslist. It needed a little work, but it feels good to ride. I ride it along the paths on the rivers in los angeles (concrete). A hybrid looks like a mountain bike, but has skinny road bike tires.

Im pretty sure my bike would be fine with someone much heavier on it.

If you get a nice quality bike, Trek, Kona, Specialized, Univega, etc you can always sell it if you don't like it.
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    bump
  • I have a Specialized mountain bike. I bought it in 1988, and still love it! We actually got it on half price (regularly $750) because it was an unusually small one (the last year they made a mini-version, or so I'm told). It's perfect for me (5'1"). In my 30's I did a lot of off-road biking, but hung up the bike once my son was born. But he's 19 now, and last year I NEARLY got rid of my bike, but didn't have the heart. Six months later, I started riding again. I took my bike to the local bike shop, and the bike mechanics acted like I'd brought in some rare and valuable find. Or, as they said, taking turns riding it, "SWEET!"
    the point is . . . if you plan to ride, a good bike is worth the investment.
  • Cravepain
    Cravepain Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you everyone that has helped me decide on a bike. I did go a bit more expensive than I wanted to but the brand was highly suggested by not only you guys but others I know as well. I am picking up my bike today, which is a Trek Skye S. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Thank you everyone that has helped me decide on a bike. I did go a bit more expensive than I wanted to but the brand was highly suggested by not only you guys but others I know as well. I am picking up my bike today, which is a Trek Skye S. :)

You'll never regret buying quality - happy biking!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member

You'll never regret buying quality - happy biking!
    Congrats on your purchase...enjoy riding. As the poster above stated, you won't regret buying quality!

I also bought a really nice bike about 6 years ago and I'm still very much in love with it.

EDIT - Just noticed you're in my area, and as I'm sure you know..there are a TON of great bike paths in Southeast Michigan....make sure you check plenty of them out to keep things interesting!