If you go over your calories one day....

Options
Do you eat less the next day to make up for it? Or just eat normally?

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I eat normal, maybe do a little more cardio, but I do not worry about it. I went about 600 cals over my limit yesterday because i had a 12 pack, weighed myself this morning and still weighed a little less than yesterday ;-) everyone will have bad days, just move on and get back on track
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No...I try to do some exercise to counter the extra calories and eat normally the next day.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It hasn't happened so far but if it did, I'd wake up to the new day and begin again.
  • SusanCotter21
    SusanCotter21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just get back on track the next day. In fact, I find that hiking my calories up quite a bit one day a week actually seems to boost my metabolism a bit.
  • bethagon
    bethagon Posts: 18
    Options
    There's no point. You aren't going to be affected by going over by even 1000 on one day...
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat and exercise normally. Sometimes your body needs a change and it does help to change up
    once in a while as long as you don't go way over your calorie count for the day.
  • jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just chalk it up to a treat (we all need days like that sometimes or we'll never be able to make this a life change) and go about my normal business the next day. Trick is to not beat yourself up because I find when I do I just sabotage myself
  • breezedm
    breezedm Posts: 12
    Options
    No, I consider it a new fight everyday. I try not to think about the previous day and focus on meeting my goals for the day I am in.
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I continue like every day. Just as you won't gain because of one day, decreasing calories won't make me lose in one day. It's about not losing control - or regaining it. As such, eating not enough or less than usually is not something I'd consider helpful.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I usually try to do extra exercise but if I go over by a bit I don't generally worry about it. Some people like to "zigzag" their calories throughout the week but for me that's a bit too complicated. As a rule of thumb, I always eat over my BMR and under my TDEE.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When I go over one day, then I try to keep the weekly goal in deficit. You can do this by more cardio or less calories or both.

Also, if you are in weight loss mode and you go over your daily calorie goal, as long as you are below your BMR, but above your calorie deficit goal, you are still OK. Sometimes a calorie bump will help break you through a plateau.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just eat normally, if I happen to have a low day the next day or a couple of days later I feel like I have made up for it, but it's really not necessary!
  • vernoe65
    vernoe65 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just try to stay within the parameters the next day, and don't overreact to it. I must say, It's a rare occasion. I don't make a habit of it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I might cut a few calories and hit the gym a little harder the next day, but not by a whole lot. Conversely, if I've underfed myself one day I'll eat a little extra the next day but not try to make up the whole deficit.

But the most important part of losing and maintaining weight through calorie counting is to learn what works for you.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    The more important question to ask yourself is why you went over and if there were mistakes learn from them. One day will not hurt, but going over frequently will.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, going over for one day won't physically make a difference.

Don't let it stress you out.

When it happens to me, I resume normally the next day.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It depends how far over my goal I am.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have a "float" of leftover calories from all the days I've been under by one or two hundred, so I just subtract it from that.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    No, but I tend to look at how my calories have averaged out over a week rather than on a daily basis.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I eat normal, otherwise I just end up hungry and eat more than my original calories. After all, you need an extra 1000 cals a day, for a week to put on 2lb, there's no way someone could do that in one day, so one day of going over doesn't matter.