Too fat for 30 day shred???

Options
I got the Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred and was gonna start it on Monday. But today decided to just try it out a little, to see how it goes.
After 5 minutes of the 1st lesson I was already out of breath and hurting!

I'm 182, 5.4 with a goal weight of 145.

I can do all the exercises they have, but Im not sure if i can handle the whole 20 minutes.

How do you do it?
Any suggestions?

or

Am I still too fat to do it???

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I weighed about 260 when I did it, but I'd been working out for a while already. You're not too fat, just do as much as you can, unless you think it will discourage you because you can't finish it. Then I would do something else to work yourself up to it. You don't want it to be easy, or it won't push your body to change.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You can do it! So what if you are out of breath. Modify it to work for you. If you can't jump just step. (but don't move onto level 2 until you can do it w/o modifying)
    Even if it takes weeks of the first level, don't give up.
    When I started it, sweat was pouring off me onto the floor. I was cursing and practically crying but I made it through. I weighed about 210 lbs at that time.
  • jessicalynn75
    jessicalynn75 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4'' and 170 lbs. I got the DVD on Friday and did it today for the first time. I was a hot, sweaty mess and I thought I was dying but completed the 20 minutes. LOL Take 5 sec to breath if you need it and then back to the exercise. I thought that all those hours at the gym would help...it didn't! But I lived to tell the tale and will do it again tomorrow. Just moving counts and you will get better. I sucked at some of the ab work and lunges.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I weighed 267 when I first started, and yeah, it sucked. I just had to stop and breathe frequently. BUT, I persevered (probably looked really foolish) and finished it. I'm so glad I did

It gets easier :)
  • cloh72
    cloh72 Posts: 38
    Options
    My suggestion is to do what you can. When it gets too difficult just march in place...your body has to get used to moving and soon you will get it...it takes time and don't think for a minute that you are too big...when I used to do it I was 196...I should start doing it again. Baby steps and before you know it you will be doing the whole 20 minutes....don't give up!
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Keep going! Do as much as you can, then try to add a few minutes the next time until you can get through all 20 minutes. If you don't think you can start out with the weights, just do the arm moves a couple of times then try a light weight and take a 5 second break if you need. If you can't do all the reps right away, do as many in each set as you can and keep adding.

Its definitely hard, especially if you may just be starting out with exercises and its meant to be. It really does help with endurance and strength. I started it at 260 and just about passed out the first time and could barely lift my arms for a few days, but it got easier.

Good Luck!
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I weight 296 and I am doing it. I am 5'9. I can not do all of it. Instead of real jumping jacks, I tell Jillian to kiss it and do modified versions. Make it work for you in the beginning, keep it up and when you can do it without modifications, then move to level 2. Good luck.
  • ramrockrac
    ramrockrac Posts: 38
    Options
    Keep at it!
    I'm going to re-start it as I did 8 days in March/April then started C5k and haven't finished either programme!
    Feel free to add me if you like:-)
  • Romes08
    Romes08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    No way girl! You can do it!! I weight 284.5 right now.. the first day I did it.. i was out of breath in the first set up jumping jacks (which opened my eyes to how out of shape I am).. but i just took a breather and started again. and the jump ropes.. they kill my caves.. but i just take a short break and start again.. it stucks really bad while doing it.. but when you finish it you feel so acomplished (or I do).. i actually did 3 days and then got distracted.. but this really made me realize i need to start again.. I think I will tonight.
  • Puddles0308
    Options
    Definitely not too fat. I'm 287lbs and am on day 5. Day 1 2 and 3 were rough with a few breaks. But now I can complete the video. I huff and puff and sweat buckets but I am able to finish it. Keep at it! You will be fine :)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I started at 245 and have been able to do every exercise all the way through ( I started June 27th). I do have to modify it sometimes and take a few seconds to breathe, but it is possible! I'm on level 2 now and have been for a few days.
  • Marysworld2
    Options
    Rach:

You are my inspiration girl.
    I weighed about 260 when I did it, but I'd been working out for a while already. You're not too fat, just do as much as you can, unless you think it will discourage you because you can't finish it. Then I would do something else to work yourself up to it. You don't want it to be easy, or it won't push your body to change.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. If you can do 5 mins without stopping today.....tomorrow try of 7mins or even try for 10. Just increase everyday what you are going to do and before long you will be able to do the entire workout without stopping.

You can do it!
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble, don't do it every day. Start out doing it every other day to give your body adequate time to rest and recover. And just do what you can, don't feel pressured to move up to level 2 before you're ready. You'll be surprised at how fast you find yourself adapting.
  • aoife_griffin
    aoife_griffin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm heavier than you and when I started it maaaaan it was so hard the first few days! My body hurt and I felt sick, and every second of it was a struggle!
    But after the 10 days of level one I was flying through it and am now on day 2 of level 2, feeling like I'm dying again lol!
    I kinda look at it like, if it was easy then we wouldn't be getting any benefit from it!
    That said though, Jillian isn't gonna pop out of your tv screen and kick your *kitten* if you need to pause the dvd and take a breather, or do it more slowly or with less reps or even without the weights - so what if it takes you 20 days to get through the first level? You're doing it!
  • antiwings
    antiwings Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! I got to minuet 8 then died.... Or fell over out of breath.
    We;re just going to have keep at it and do the 8 mins every day until we can get to 9 mins then 10!!
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    Keep going! :)
    It is supposed to be hard! If it was easy then it wouldn't be challenging your body to transform. If it's something you want to do then don't give up!
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Do as much as your body can handle. It's better to go slow and steady than to over exert yourself, and injure yourself. I just finished Day 2 of the 30 day shred. And yuck, I am a mess afterwards! But I like the feeling. I hope I keep the determination to keep going each day. Good Luck :)
  • Lilie555
    Lilie555 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This really helps. I just tried again and did it for 9 minutes. I'll just try and do it till I get it to the end! Thank you!
  • Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    Options
    You can do it! I'm 5'4" and currently 241ish and I finished Ripped in 30 last week and started 30 DS today. I've done several other Jillian DVDs too. She really kicks butt. You have to push through it if you want to see changes. You may have to modify at first and that is ok. You know more than anyone your limits. Just keep moving and eventually you'll master it! You will feel amazing when you see what you can do!