Bingers..

Options

Replies

• pheonixdown
    Options
    I'm a closet binger. If no one can see me, or find evidence, it didn't happen. The only one who knows is the scale. and my larger *kitten*. and my too tight pants. :/

It sucks, but I can at least now "feel" it coming on and take steps to prevent it from happening.

I binge something fierce some times, but I'm basically the same as this. I'll finish something off and then I'll take the trash out, so all evidence of said something has vanished from the kitchen.
  • JamesterCK
    JamesterCK Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad I'm not alone! For the longest time I didn't realize anything was wrong with me, but then I heard about binging and decided I've had it since I was really young. My grandma would buy cookies and I would eat pretty much the whole package (making sure no one saw me eat them of course). I always was really sneaky with it and it made me feel ashamed. I still, to this day, binge. Now I hide it from my mom and husband. I used to think I was the only one, so I'm glad to see so many people who basically share my story. I feel great now that I'm eating right; keeping track of what I eat is really helping. If anyone else with this problem wants some extra moral support, please add me. I know I could use the support too!
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Binge on carrots and romaine lettuce wraps with a wheat tortilla.

Filling and healthy.

My first reaction to reading your response is to get very upset and tell you, sir, something along the lines of: you have NO idea or knowledge on what bingeing is, the nature of it, and how if someone who is afflicted with this disease, they can't CONTROL what foods they binge on, therefore your suggestion is pointless, uneducated, and completely insensitive.

I apologize in advance if I have offended you(or anyone else who has had this thought), and centering within myself I can actually understand what you're trying to say, sir.

It is in fact logical, right? The idea of this: Hey, If weight gain is the cause of suffering in the aftermath of bingeing, then why not binge on healthier, lower calorie options?

However, there is a flaw to this logic and what I'd like for everyone to understand, coming from personal experience within and outside of myself is this:
    Binge eating and over eating is NOT something you can CONTROL, because
    1) If we COULD control our binge eating, then WHY wouldn't we fill ourselves with lower calorie foods, to avoid the weight gain that causes our suffering?
    2) "Bingeing on carrots and lettuce/healthier food" is preposterous, Because binge eating, OR over eating, ANY food is not healthy, irregardless of its caloric density. The behavior associated with bingeing is where the problem is.

And here's something that has always baked my brain: The weight gain and poor body image is not the closet bingers, or the over eaters CAUSE OF SUFFERING. It has made me think a little differently.

Lastly, I would like to point out once again, binge eating is an ADDICTION. If Alcoholics could CONTROL their drinking, they WOULD NOT be alcoholics. Most people and alcoholics themselves would admit, they can not control their drinking. They are addicted to drinking alcohol. They do not control what their poison of choice is, it is their poison. The idea of moderation for the alcoholic is laughable, or to exchange his/her poison for something lighter, less alcohol content by volume is merely a substitute, a band-aid if you will, to a problem that is DEEPER and more complicated than the drink.

There is information, there is hope out there for everyone, you've got to look, put yourself first, and most importantly you've got to be willing to understand in order to heal. I am not perfect, I do admit I have my struggles, issues, emotions; I do not deny myself these things because that is how I grow. But I also CHOOSE to seek help, I choose information, and I choose to love myself no matter what happens, no matter what I put in my mouth, no matter if I go hungry.

I hope... You, whoever is reading this, the binger, the over eater, or maybe you just know someone who knows someone, perhaps you're just curious and want to know more; know that there is always hope. You are not alone.
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm a closet binger. If no one can see me, or find evidence, it didn't happen. The only one who knows is the scale. and my larger *kitten*. and my too tight pants. :/

It sucks, but I can at least now "feel" it coming on and take steps to prevent it from happening.

I binge something fierce some times, but I'm basically the same as this. I'll finish something off and then I'll take the trash out, so all evidence of said something has vanished from the kitchen.

Me to a tee- and I think that if there is no evidence of the eaten food that people won't notice or wonder where that extra 100 lbs came from??? Apparently MY bingeing makes OTHERS stupid...sigh.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    One word... GUM.
    It sounds simple, but I am a major binger and gum (when I am sane enough to remember), actually helps. Plus, I read that it helps with weight loss (maybe because you have gum in your mouth instead of food?)
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    Count me in as a binger! I haven't had an episode since I started tracking last Sunday, as the accountability seems to help. I struggle with the habitual nature of it--I did it so often, it became a habit, and I had a really hard time breaking the habit until I started logging. I have gotten better with resisting the temptation to binge after I got on my current cocktail of antidepressant meds. Until then, I was a binge eating mess. I packed on about 25 pounds in a few months because of it. Add me for support, if I haven't added you already. Anybody else, feel free to add me. I could use lots of support myself.
  • Adrianne619
    Options
    Also guilty of binging,., I get physically anxious, and need to find something I can totally fill my mouth with. Today it was marshmallows :(

I've gained 20lb in the last year, and am starting this journey to get back to healthy. I've joined a gym, with some support there, but would love support from you -- and would love to support you as well!

Best of luck to all!
  • Carpaydeeum
    Carpaydeeum Posts: 116
    Options
    I went to couseling for binge eating for over 2 yrs. It is something that will never go away. I have found my triggers are when I am very tired or when things are going completely out of control in my life. You have to look at it the way an alcoholic looks at alcohol.....one day at a time, forgive yourself when it happens, find support and do your best at making the binges further and further apart. Don't get too hungry, log your food. These are all things that help me. I have to snack all day and made sure I have a snack in the evening.....it is tough, but the negative self talk and the "voices" inside your head are the main culpurate. You have to get those under control before you can get the eating under control.....you have to be nice to yourself! Forgive yourself! Once you can treat yourself like you treat your best friend is when you will start controlling your binges.....

I can relate with tis post deeply. Im a binger. If food was alcohol id be an alcoholic...prob good that i dont drink. Ill be invitin uto be a friend. And prob every boy else on this thread. Ty for your words
  • Carpaydeeum
    Options
    ...also...am i the only guy on this thread...h,mmmmm.
  • Carpaydeeum
    Options
    does it not make you feel bad knowing you are one weak human being who is not even able to control what you put into your mouth?

that alone would motivate me, just sayin

Ill chosse to read some sympathy and understanding into this post....

No. I. Cant. And it doesnt make sense to me so im discussing it with the thread.

We ar all weak somewhere.
  • melbrown22
    melbrown22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Amazing to read my own thoughts and behaviors in so many comments above! I tend to binge on sweet things and hide the evidence from my husband and children. I always feel so guilty...once my husband borrowed my car and found a half eaten box of swiss cake rolls under my seat. I was so ashamed. Add me as a friend, too... :flowerforyou:
  • Sarahwillow
    Sarahwillow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I want to binge so bad today...I can make cake and cookies, just to have one right?? But then I will start to sneak and that one will turn into omg what the hell have I done. Well, now if I am off then I can just say eff it and go on and on until I puke, then everything will be okay so then I can binge some more.
    This is inside my head, I know it's wrong, I know that it's not how normal people think about food, I know I binge, I know I emotional eat, and I know that this is not how I want to live anymore...but I still want to!
  • obryanh
    obryanh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am determined to beat this!!!!!!!
  • bluejayyy
    bluejayyy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "does it not make you feel bad knowing you are one weak human being who is not even able to control what you put into your mouth?

that alone would motivate me, just sayin"

what you said makes perfect sense before or after a binge, but during a binge (at least for me) the only thought going through my head are "what else can I eat" I am not thinking about how weak or gross I am during an attack and it's scary how much self-control is lost...Whenever I look back on a binge and just think about all the food I consumed I am grossed out by my actions and it sometimes makes me cry and I regret every bit of it, but I wish these emotions would come during or right before a binge. I wish so much that I could just have complete self-control all the time because everyday I wake up telling myself I won't binge and usually I go a while without binging and I can find some control but there are days where it just seems hopeless and I feel lost.

Honestly, if you don't have a problem with binging you shouldn't try to give tips on how to stop or prevent it. Your comment seems really heartless and derogatory. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes. We are all weak in our own ways. YOU have flaws, too. It's hard to admit, but we all are imperfect.
  • sugarfoot928
    Options
    I want to binge so bad today...I can make cake and cookies, just to have one right?? But then I will start to sneak and that one will turn into omg what the hell have I done. Well, now if I am off then I can just say eff it and go on and on until I puke, then everything will be okay so then I can binge some more.
    This is inside my head, I know it's wrong, I know that it's not how normal people think about food, I know I binge, I know I emotional eat, and I know that this is not how I want to live anymore...but I still want to!

This is what goes on in my head to.
  • caseydziadek
    caseydziadek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that I am so happy and sad at the same time to find out there are this many people who share this disease with me. I am happy becuase I can talk about it without judgement, but I am sad becuase I wish no one else had to deal with it.

I recently realized that I have a pretty severe case of binge eating. I spoke with my doctor and he perscribed me a medication to help control myself. I feel so filled with shame and embarassment that I cannot control what I am doing.... I hope to only be on the medication for 6 months, trying to find my triggers and tools to use to help me. Please, if you have support to offer, or if you would like encouragment, please add me as a friend. I have added lots of people from this thread, but if I have missed you please feel free to add me.

Thanks again, for everyone being so honest :)
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am a severe binger myself. But I do so when no one is around. If family or friends are at the house I will sneak into the pantry while they are in the bathroom or put stuff in my pocket (the side of my body that is away from others) and leave the room. But when I am alone I hit the store and buy all the junk I can get (lie to family about what was purshased) and eat it all. Even when I know someone is at home I will buy a bag of cookies or several candy bars and eat it before I get home. I only live 4 blocks from home. I also feel ashamed. I am 61 and have been doing it all my life. Looking for encouragement and hope that I can be to others. Interested in addindind friends if you would like too
  • _pinkskies
    _pinkskies Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm glad you're seeking help. Even if it's on a forum it's a big step to recovery.
    I've had an eating disorder since 2 years ago. I was anorexic. I would eat almost nothing, the bare, bare minimum to survive. But that didn't bother me, it was like I lost interest in food completely. But that didn't last very long. About a year later I started having these cravings for food I have been avoiding. They were so bad I would feel sick for the whole day unless I let myself eat it. The problem was the moment I had the first bite, a binge episode would start. I would clear all the junk food in the house. I guess you could say I saved myself through my binging... I was able to gain 30 pounds and got back to a healthy weight. Yeah I was severely underweight. Okay enough about me ^^
    The way I stopped binging was by eating carbs and fat. Healthy carbs and fat. Fat deprivation actually causes depression and stress and in turn leads to seeking food as a relief. So don't avoid those two food groups completely like I did in the past.
    Never eat in front of the TV. You won't realize what you're doing until it's too late. Eat slow, with water in between. You'll feel satisfied sooner.
    Eat with others and share your food. You'll be less likely to binge in group settings.
    Differentiate between hunger and cravings. Cravings involve wanting sweets and junk food. If you open the fridge and your eyes land on cookies or cake instead of eggs and steak then you're experiencing a craving. Allow yourself to have a piece but don't take the whole box with you. Eat slowly and actually enjoy the food then finish up with some water or tea. You'll realize your craving has been satisfied and you're not actually hungry for more.

Wow I write a lot... But I hope it helps!
  • atrezza55
    Options
    I also struggle with binging and its something i have to fight every single day. I'm scared. terrified actually. All I want is for it to go away. I used to binge once every 7-10 days but since I started college it has been way too frequent. Constantly being alone, not having many friends. its trapping me and I will do anything to fix it.
  • kmjacobs93
    kmjacobs93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have binged since I was 10...