Ladies- How many cals do you eat?

Options

Replies

• sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", ~127 lb. My friend helped me set up my cals, and I'm supposed to eat 1432 on non-workout days, about a hundred more on workout days. I'm aiming for 1400-1600 but lately I've been soooo hungry that I'll go over.
  • Nikkihearts
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day, and burn off 300-600 calories a day depending on what i do to work out. Do you HAVE to eat back the calories you worked off? I always thought it was 'calories in, calories out', and since i can't work off 1200 calories a day working out, i generally don't eat back those calories unless i'm going out with friends.

Edit: also, i'm 5'3'', 187 lbs. And 7 of those lbs below that i've lost i lost in the last 2 weeks alone.

Hey just to clarify, you don't need to be burning off 1200 calories a day! If 1200 is your goal, that is the number you're trying to eat for weight loss correct? If you burn off 300 for example, that means you're eating 900 net calories. So it's fine to eat those calories back... in fact, you should! If your calorie intake goal was set to a higher number that already factored in activity/exercise, you wouldn't have to eat those calories back.

Btw - I don't like the way MFP calculates calorie needs - look up the Harris-Benedict equation and see how that compares.

Oh! that's good to know! MFP kinda made it confusing for me. I've never done the whole 'lifestyle change by counting calories' before, and when i'd add in the exercise for the day, i thought eating the calories back was optional, but then when i saw others saying that on 'workout days' they'd eat xxxx amount of calories and it was more than non-workout days it made me really confused! lol.

Thanks for the tip!
  • sassybellex
    Options
    i eat 1200 calories but the days i exercise my net calories usually dont go over 600-900 calories.
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1200 if I can but I don't worry if I go over to around 1400 on occasion. I don't add my exercise on to what I eat either so if I burn 400 cals I still only eat my 1200.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1200 if I can but I don't worry if I go over to around 1400 on occasion. I don't add my exercise on to what I eat either so if I burn 400 cals I still only eat my 1200.
    You might find that hard to maintain in the long run. If you get stuck or frustrated, consider increasing to above your BMR.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I aim to net 1200ish a day, but I always work out at least once so I eat more than 1200 calories. I did yoga, a 2 hour walk and will run today so I'll probably eat 16-1700 and still just net the 1200 goal.

I *want* my body to build more muscle so I have no intention of not giving it proper nutrients to work with.
  • nancyki
    nancyki Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and shoot for 1400 cals per day with daily exercise. But I end up around 1500 usually. It's a good goal.
  • MrsHyneman
    Options
    It told me to eat 1200 at first but after months of doing that I wasn't going anywhere so I eat on average 500 a day and work out anywhere from 300-700 a day. Ive been dropping the pounds left and right.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It told me to eat 1200 at first but after months of doing that I wasn't going anywhere so I eat on average 500 a day and work out anywhere from 300-700 a day. Ive been dropping the pounds left and right.
    You EAT 500?
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think you are making a wise and reasonable choice in upping your daily calories to 1500 per day espescially if you are exercising. I found that if I eat less than 1400 calories a day, my metabolism slows down and I don't lose any weight.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    2100 calories
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ok So I was reading all the post and I am lost! I have been stuck for 4 weeks now. I am wondering if I am eating way to little now. My MFP is set to 1530 and I eat that or 1550. I wear a fitbit and it says I should only be eating 1350 but my BMR on here says that I am at 1875. I never eat my workout cals (3-4 times a week)!! HELP ME!! I know that 300 cals can make a big!!

What does your fitbit say is your average expenditure over the week?

Best thing to do is work out your average expenditure and just deduct the defict from there - no need to worry about exercise calories as they are included in your fitbit TDEE.

I actually looked that up after that post and it is 2300-2600 so I upped my cals like the other lady suggested. I know I love my fitbit!!
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    On a bad day, about 1700.
    On a good day, about 1300.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    i eat between 2100-2500 cal every day and i'm still losing. it's really all about height, weight, activity level accuracy. most of you are probably undereating
  • mrskatie80
    mrskatie80 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1200 per day :)
    Sometimes I zigzag and have 1000 one day and 1400 the next.
    But somewhere in there. On a REALLY bad day...well, I never count on those days. Just grin, and get back on the wagon!
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Putting in my stats, MFP came up with 1710 calories a day. I never do anywhere near this. If I go over 1200 a day I gain weight. Even on days I work out. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week, and try and play tennis on the weekend. I need to lose a LOT of weight! I have no thyroid, but take replacement and my hormone levels are always ok. I am incredibly frustrated right now, that I went to 1400 calories yesterday as a treat, and today I was heavier. I am SO freaking hungry!
  • clairesimmons1971
    Options
    Hi

I have been doing MFP for 3 weeks now on 1200 and im a bit disappointed as I lost 6lb in the first week and nothing since! I have sometimes eaten less than 1200 will this slow my weight loss down? I rarely exercise thus I think 1200 is fine, not usre if im putting my body into starvation mode as the app tells me when I eat less than 1200......any tips or suggestions please?

Claire ....oh and to make matters worse my husband is doing it with me and has lost 1st 1lb in the same amount of time!
  • Fandabie89
    Fandabie89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1200 and usually go gym around 3 times a week
  • swheeler04
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing - new to this and calories are at 1320 a day but I have been eating to that or about 100 under. I find I don't stick to the diet if I go to far under as 3pm hits and I get sugar craving or don't have any energy. I was wandering though if I would still experience a steady weight loss if eating all my calorie allowance...This is only day 3 so I guess time will tell, but all these comments have been really helpful.....thanks
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Putting in my stats, MFP came up with 1710 calories a day. I never do anywhere near this. If I go over 1200 a day I gain weight. Even on days I work out. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week, and try and play tennis on the weekend. I need to lose a LOT of weight! I have no thyroid, but take replacement and my hormone levels are always ok. I am incredibly frustrated right now, that I went to 1400 calories yesterday as a treat, and today I was heavier. I am SO freaking hungry!

You did not eat 3500+ calories overnight , so it is not fat.
    There is a big difference between water weight from when you first eat more carbs and replenish your glycogen stores, and actual fat.

As people increase their calories from a low level, there usually is an initial gain, as the glycogen is replenished but this then settles down. When increasing calories you need a little patience.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience