Breakfast? Not hungry/nothing sounds good ...

Options
Ok ... So I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but my question is ... what do you do when you wake up and you're not hungry and/or nothing you have in the house sounds good?? I'm seeming to struggle with this more and more lately ... so then I just force myself to eat something with a moderate amount of calories to get me through until lunch even if I don't really want it. Any advice or suggestions?

Replies

• dadivarn
    dadivarn Posts: 5
    Options
    I love eating those Belvita breakfast biscuits. They are packed with fiber, and only 230 calories. My favorite kind is Apple Cinnamon.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    don't eat breakfast,
    it's not the most important meal of the day. total kcals and macros for the day is only thing that matters
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    don't eat breakfast,
    it's not the most important meal of the day. total kcals and macros for the day is only thing that matters

this

If you are not hungry in the morning then don't eat
  • thewang
    thewang Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat breakfast for that reason. Most days I wouldn't feel hungry until about 2-3pm so I'd eat a big lunch, then big dinner, then bed. I feel so much better eating throughout the day and keeping my lunch lighter. No more whining for an afternoon nap at work :)
    For breakfast I've been loving hard boiled eggs with a pinch of salt. I just make a bunch every couple days. They are quick, delicious, and really good for you. The protein in the morning definitely keeps me going until lunch. So even if I'm not hungry in the morning, I just grab one egg, because it's small and easy to eat. After awhile you will adjust and start to feel hungry in the morning, just have to let your body adjust to your new eating schedule.
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, and it doesn't bother you to skip breakfast then I wouldn't force it down. If it's the "breakfast food" choices that are turning you off, maybe try eating something else. Hummus on an apple, leftovers from the night before, or even a healthy smoothie. Do what's comfortable to you.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    don't eat breakfast,

this

Completely agree. No need to force yourself.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Ok ... So I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but my question is ... what do you do when you wake up and you're not hungry and/or nothing you have in the house sounds good?? I'm seeming to struggle with this more and more lately ... so then I just force myself to eat something with a moderate amount of calories to get me through until lunch even if I don't really want it. Any advice or suggestions?

An apple a day keeps the doctor away too.

Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. They are of equal importance.

I have never eaten breakfast, I can't face it.

Some people cant skip it without feeling lethargic or light headed but I don't miss it at all. On the odd occasion I do eat before 10am I am usually ravenous by midday.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I just eat anyway.
    Breakfast is an important meal, and when I skip, I end up pigging out later.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    When I'm not hungry or nothing sounds good, I make a fruit smoothie or if I'm in a rush, I have a bowl of cereal. Both are under 300 calories and are enough to get me through until lunch. But I am not guaranteed a break at my job so like yesterday, I went in for 9 AM and couldn't eat until 2:30 PM. If I hadn't eaten before work, I would have been famished. I usually bring yogurt or almonds to snack on before lunch, but if we're busy (like we were yesterday) I don't have time to eat.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts your metabolism and gets your body in gear. Now...with that being said, eat something. ANYTHING!
  • Bexyf
    Bexyf Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If I do not fancy food I eat two rice cakes, thin amount of spread and some peanut butter - not loads of cals but keeps me going until I fancy something more x
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    don't eat breakfast,

This. I didn't eat till almost 2 pm yesterday. Not something I do everyday but just wasn't hungry yesterday. Down 1.5 lbs. today. What matters it your average at the end of the week.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have anything more for breakfast than coffee because I do not feel hungry for several hours after I wake up. One of the most important weight loss lessons I learned was to not eat unless I was actually feeling hunger. Lots of people want to talk about kick starting your metabolism for the day or whatever. My feeling is, listen to your body -- feed it when it is hungry.

This is what I can tell you about me personally - no matter what I ate (heavy carbs, heavy protein, lots of fiber -- completely balanced meal) I would feel sick for several hours if I did and I'd end up skipping lunch because I would feel very full and bloated (I would have been eating 300-400 calories at breakfast) -- only to come into a hunger headache around 3 when my tummy settled down.

Now, I eat 4 times a day "lunch" between 11am-12pm, snack between 2-3pm, dinner around 6pm, snack around 8 pm -- none of my snacks or meals are particularly large. I've been doing this for 8 years, I've lost 55 pounds and I feel fantastic.

That might not work for you -- but forcing breakfast might not either. It is all trial and error.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You don't have to force yourself to eat first thing. I usually eat a couple hours after I wake up. Sometimes it makes me physically ill to smell or think about food too early in the morning. Maybe try a piece of fruit midmorning. I like to have 1% chocolate milk and fruit, protein and carbs, so it keeps me satisfied until lunch without overdoing myself too early. Protein smoothies are good too. I use a scoop of protein powder, a cup of milk, and a tablespoon of peanut butter with 2-3 cups of ice and sip on it all morning. A bit higher in calories, but worth it when you're working out.

Find something, anything, that is a good combo of protein and carbs to jumpstart your day. Eat it as soon as your feel able even if it isn't until 10 or 11 a.m.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts your metabolism and gets your body in gear. Now...with that being said, eat something. ANYTHING!

Jump starting your metabolism, eh? How do you feel when you eat when you're not hungry?
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    don't eat breakfast,

this

Completely agree. No need to force yourself.

I agree with this as well. I'm not usually hungry right when I get up, so I will pack some hard boiled eggs and fruit to bring with me. I go on my run and get myself to work and eat the eggs and fruit around 9:30, which is at least 4 hours after I wake up.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I usually either have a fiber one bar or 3 plain eggo waffles so I have something to get me through my workout. Then its a shake after...I usually don't have "real food" til about 11 or so.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I'm never hungry and eat. Eating when I'm hungry is part of what caused me to be on this site in the first place.

I was a breakfast eater for years. Then, I stopped getting up early enough to eat. I was always in a rush. Guess what? I was getting hungrier and hungrier as lunch approached that I overate during lunch. Then, after being out in the sun all day at practice, I'd come home and overeat at dinner. Snacks before bed were necessary...as I was hungry.

Now that I've started eating breakfast again, my body start is more energized and I'm not as lethargic as I was during the day. Not by lunch time or dinner time. I'm not longer "hungry". As a matter of fact, I come home and I don't want dinner. I'm just not hungry enough to eat, but I do because the body needs the calories.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...FOR ME. It may not be for you or for anyone else.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have changed over time, I used to wake up at 6:30 and not eat breakfast until after 9 because I didn't feel hungry. Now I want to eat somewhat quickly after waking up. Not really sure what changed it. That said, eat whatever you want for breakfast...if breakfast foods don't appeal to you, don't eat them. I've had turkey sandwiches for breakfast or leftover pasta. As long as it fits into your calorie/macro goals for the day eat whatever you want whenever you are hungry for it! I personally just ate one of my favorite breakfasts, a toasted light multigrain english muffin, 1 pan fried egg with a spritz of Pam, 1 Tbsp. of light garden vegetable cream cheese and a drizzle of Sriracha sauce.
  • yngone
    yngone Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Totally agree........ get that engine stoaked for the day, if there's no fuel for the fire in the oven it wont burn baby!
    eat protein in the morning, need that metabolism pumping to burn fat!