51yr old F looking for same age for support&laughs

Options

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I think we all make 40's to 50's look so good, no matter our weight or shape!! Remember what we used to think they were like when we were 20?

They WERE like that when we were 20. Grandmas when we were kids didn't look like grandmas do now. :)

I'll be 51 the end of this month, married with 5 grown kids and 6 grandchildren. I'm 5'8" and currently weight 240, down from 281 in January. I started running in April and can now run a little over a mile without stopping. I set a goal to walk 500 miles in 2012, and I'm currently at 340 miles walked/run. Not diabetic, although it runs in my family, and not menopausal yet (and since my mom had her TOM into her 90s, not too sure it will hit any time soon.)

Anyone can add me if they want

I agree . I am 5 "7" around 250 lbs. I threw out my scales, because I feel I am worth more than what seeing that large number on the scales made me feel like. I will still weigh occasionally, here at work, but I was up to 2 or 3 times a day. Sending you a request. For anyone else, please add me. I have sent out some, but I lost track on who I sent out to already. So forgive me if I send one twice.
  • clh372
    clh372 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't forget me! I'm 5"-6" (52 years old) and weigh 173, I get really close to my old weight watchers goal then I lose my mind! First grandchild on the way and I would like to be able to keep up with her. I am a nighttime eater, you know, when the TV goes on the fridge door opens, darnest thing! Found a jazzercise class that I want to take but have to get off my couch to do it. ! NEED HELP!!!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    51 here but have a bit more to lose. I have only been here about a month and have just a few friends if anyone would like to add me I am open for sharing similar experiences.
  • shewhowrestleswolves
    Options
    Hi. I'm 50 and just pretty much finished going through menopause. I'm 5'6" and currently weigh 195 having lost 4 pounds already. I am shooting for 1 pound per week as 2 pounds per week was too stressful for me to attain. I don't like starving. I was put on my first diet at 3 years old and have struggled with weight all of my life. I have no medical problems to support my weight issues and have 4 skinny siblings. My husband and son are skinny. I would like to lose 35-45 pounds. We'll see when I get closer. I've gotten thin several times in my life through diet and exercise but have always gained weight back. I know that when I lose the weight again this time I will have to log for the rest of my life or I will get fat again. I loved finding this post. I really need people I can relate to as I go through this weight loss. It is HARD to do but it is doable. I've followed the guidelines for 4 weeks and have lost my pound per week. Each week seems like a lot of grief for one pound loss but it feels so good to see the numbers on the scaled headed in the right direction. I know I would be gaining If I hadn't started this. The logging of food is a real eye opener since I had been using Weight Watchers points for so long (by the way I was one of the original WW members as a child). Weight loss before was strictly for vanity. Now it's more about health. I am fairly fit for a fatty as I love the outdoors and like to bike, hike, and garden.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    We need our own place to chat this way. It seems to all get lost on the feed. Any takers on starting us a group of our own?

How do we go about doing this? It's a wonderful idea!

WE can start a group . Have to come up with a name. Any ideas? I've got a cheesy one..... Fabulous Fifties . I welcome any ideas for a better one.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hi She.... and welcome... .. and amen to your post LOL.. especiallyt the part about the grief re the 1lb..it's like REALLY? 1 bl?? afte rall i went thru?? (c'mon we have all been there ladies!!) But you absolutely have the right attitutde.. its watching those numbers just keep going down thats so great.... I know they say patience is a virtue, but frankly it isnt one of mine so I struggle with the same issue in that regard... but remember our motto .. well my motto dunno if the rest agree but its PROGRESS.. not perfection... so you are doing awesome and progressing every day!!
  • mtinta2000
    Options
    I would love to be your friend. I am 55 going on 20. I don't have any friends in this program yet. Don't let illness or menopause overcome or scare you. Go for the fighting spirit - make feeling good and healthy a part of your life. Look at yourself slender and healthy. Your positive image is very, very important.

I am really looking forward to being friends with you. You can do it! One day at a time.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Hi there! First of all congrats for joining MFP and for making the choice of having a healthier life and lifestyle!
    I am 50, I have raging hot flashes, I cannot take HRT due to a blood clotting disorder, WAS pre-diabetic, I have high blood pressure (off one med tho) and I started out on MFP @ 179lbs on Jan 11, 2012. I've lost 40.5lbs and if I can do it, anyone can! I also started out walking but instead of like I did in the past, I started out slowly so I wouldnt get burnt out. I think I only walked 2mph for 15 minutes the first week or so and just logged food. Then I added time and distance to my walks, eventually jogging, breaking my big toe and foot and now I'm biking and 'trying' to swim for exercise. LOL
    MFP makes it sooo easy, plus the support of friends on here can help you cope with any problems or questions you have. One thing you can do is search the forums for answers to things. It helped me a LOT in the beginning.

Friend request sent! I'm looking forward to cheering you on! YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi to a great bunch! Feel free to add me as a friend. Let me know if a group grows out of this. I'm Cheryl. 55 yrs. old. I'm relatively new to MFP but have already lost 40 lbs. with twenty to go. P.S. they're not going quickly. We have been hit by a tornado on June 1 and another bad storm called a durecho on June 29. We're waiting on contractors for roof damage and water damage. We just got power back, but my computer *woke up dead*. Add that to a job, four kids from 17-28 and a husband who travels. Don't hold it against me if I don't respond right away.
  • ljcamp1
    ljcamp1 Posts: 3
    Options
    We need our own place to chat this way. It seems to all get lost on the feed. Any takers on starting us a group of our own?

WE can start a group . Have to come up with a name. Any ideas? I've got a cheesy one..... Fabulous Fifties . I welcome any ideas for a better one.
  • spiritjourney56
    Options
    I would love to buddy up with anyone. If you are in the North York area (Finch/Bathurst) send me a message. Thanks.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Group name: Fabulously Fit Fifties ( any age accepted, we're all in this together ) ...... any other suggestions? ..............Will any one join?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Was just going to suggest this! A group, off the mainboards of 50-ish Women would be great, would love to join you all if one is up or gets started.. :happy:

Please post a link on this thread so I can find it if you all do?:flowerforyou: Having my computer down, my time on it is far less so I have to get to the meat of the threads etc. and would hate to miss out joining you all!:flowerforyou: :heart:

Great to read about your lives and looking forward to hearing more and sharing a bit too.

Hearts:heart:
    Group name: Fabulously Fit Fifties ( any age accepted, we're all in this together ) ...... any other suggestions? ..............Will any one join?
    nice title:drinker: I'd join!:tongue:
    I kinda like the Menopausal Mad Hatters......
    HA! 51 here, Love the name, though I'm not there yet, in time I will be so why not?! Mad Hatters? hilarious!!:laugh:
  • ljcamp1
    ljcamp1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I think that's a great name and I'm so excited to see so many of us in the same boat. I'm new to this so don't know how to form a group or join one for that matter. But I'm definitely IN! loooovvvvve this support!!
  • Bwalton79
    Bwalton79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Brenda and I am 51 years old and could certainly use enrcouragement, support and laughs. I am trying to get back in the mfp swing of things. Welcome, I hope we can be mfp friends. Good Luck!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I kinda like the Menopausal Mad Hatters......
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Okay , I'm going to do it!! Fabulously Fit Fifties. It will be a work in progress, though. Someone please look for it under groups. I don't want to be there all alone.
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sounds delightful :), I'm also 51 (at least for 2 more months!) and F. I'm on MFP every day, and would love to have some new "old" friends! Count me in :smile:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Okay , I'm going to do it!! Fabulously Fit Fifties. It will be a work in progress, though. Someone please look for it under groups. I don't want to be there all alone.
    I'll be on the lookout, thanks! I have a funny feeling you won't be there alone.:smokin:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I'm getting al ittle confused (not that that's unusual for me).. so I started up a group (I think).. Menopausal Mad Hatters
    everyone's welcome - only requirement is a sense of humour and a willingtness to support each other

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6894-menopausal-mad-hatters