51yr old F looking for same age for support&laughs

Options

Replies

• mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Today is my last day of being 54! I've been on mfp seriously for about 9 months now. I love it! I've lost 18lbs and it's been a struggle. Once I turned 50 it seems losing weight is harder than ever! I now weight 186 and I'm 5'1". Feel free to add me if you like. There is also a group for 50+ women that is very nice! :flowerforyou:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Menopausal Mad Hatters...... sounds good. I looked at the group section. It's a bit much to fill out. Is there any one with any exprerience with starting a group?
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 54 and menopausal too. I do think most people don't understand unless they are going, or have been throughout it. It would be great to have a group who are all the same age and have the same goals in mind. People who know what to do with a pencil and cassette tape lol. So I'm in if you start a group.

You can friend me if you like but please write a little intro so I know who you are x
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Hello...

I'm a 51 yr old female, 5.6 171 lbs.. recently diagnosed with diabetes (adult onset aka FAT related). My doctor has given me a few months to try to lose 20 lbs at least and avoid having to go on any medications for it. I don't want to go on meds, so fear is a great motivator LOL.. I am completely sedentary at this point (although I did start a walking program this morning) and have set a calorie and exercise goal to reach..

I'm just wondering if maybe there is someone my age and with a good sense of humour, who mike like to "buddy up" for a little encouragement and support along the way?? I applaud anyone of any age who is starting this journey, but there are challenges to being an older female (like the joy of menopause thank you!!) so I think we could relate a little better if we were around the same age..

Hey.. maybe I could start a group.. the Menopause Mad Hatters? lol

Thanks very much.. and good luck to everyone!

I'm sorry Snoozie, I have been reading so many, that I didn't notice you had already suggessted a group in your first post. That souns great.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hello all you fabulous Ladies! I am 52 and went through menopause years ago due to having a hysterectomy in my 30's. It was the last 10 years that I really began putting on the "belly fat". I started out at 188.5 in January and joined MFP on March 12, 2012. This morning I weighed in at 166.5. I also QUIT SMOKING on June 22, 2012. So lots of lifestyle changes happening for me in 2012. I feel GREAT! Would love to be buddies with all of you! WE GOT THIS!

Kimberly in Montana:flowerforyou:
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hey there, will be 51 in October, going through some of the same as you. Been on here almost a year, but have back-slidden so many times I've lost count. However the scale shows very clearly. In the 11 months I've been on, I've only lost 6 lbs. Pathetic! I recommitted today! I would love another accountability partner. Someone to laugh, cry, scream (hot flash and night sweat) with! Add me on!!! Let’s do this!!!!
  • wkrd
    wkrd Posts: 45
    Options
    This sounds great to me. I am constantly trying to find someone over 50 I can relate to. Seems like all the Sucess stories and pictures belong to 20 and 30 somethings. I want to see something that works for my age! (Though when I was in my 20-30's I thought when you get yo your fifties you don't care anymore and could just go with the flow ..LOL...) Now I'm 51 and I do still care. I want to look the best I can and ever day I workout I feel fantastic. I don't feel 51. God has blessed me with good health and is now providing the motivation to get back in shape. I am with you all...look forward to the friendships we will make on our journey.
  • gibsonland
    gibsonland Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be your friend!
  • gibsonland
    gibsonland Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be your friend!
  • 52gigi
    52gigi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 52 and can relate. Many life changes physically with our bodies and changes in our families. ( Children marrying ,grandchildren , taking care of parents and preparing for retirement etc) I am going on my first cruise in October which helps in staying focused but I am looking for life long changes. Anyone who wants to bud up friend me with a note and I will respond.
    Gigi
    Virginia Beach VA
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    omg T2.. I'm so sorry i didn't see your post before I created it...

This is just getting a little too confusing for me.. im not sure how the friend thing works vs the group thing vs topics LOL...
    i'm old... and im confused.. and i'm menopausal.. and im fat...... and now im more confused..... lol

Let me know where everyone's going ?? I feel an urge for a bag of lays potato chips.......

who am i kidding.. im feeling an urge for a big glass of chardonnay!!! lol
    :sad:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    lol.until we get this figured out (and to keep me out of the Chardonnay) this link should take you to the temporary group home .. we can always start a new group once we know what we're doing.. well I might never know.. but.... if you'd like to join for the moment, we can at least start getting to know each others goals, and start supporting and encouraging ourselves...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6894-menopausal-mad-hatters
  • KLB960
    KLB960 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am almost 52 and I started this program 4 weeks ago and have lost the pound a week. I am so happy that I finally found something that is working! I have tried WW, low carb, and the lastest Food Lovers (which I saw no progress at all but liked the workout). I am 5'1" and started this at 178 (my heaviest was 183). I am using some of the recipes that I liked from past programs and using the calorie counter to help. I don't find myself hungry and only munch when bored but the counting is helping with that. My daughter is doing this too under doctors advise (not that she was too over weight). I walk when I can ( arthritis in both knees and need surgery on one) but I like the fact that house cleaning counts! Now, how can we gauge sex :laugh: ? to add to the exercise program lol.

I think we can be accountable to each other and cheer each other on.
  • kupcake50
    kupcake50 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi ...I too have lost and gained weight. I really want to lose this time. I am 51 and "I think" through menapause...waiting the official year again....went up to 13 months and have to start again. I just started back today and would love the join this group. What do I do...add everyone as friends?
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    omg T2.. I'm so sorry i didn't see your post before I created it...

This is just getting a little too confusing for me.. im not sure how the friend thing works vs the group thing vs topics LOL...
    i'm old... and im confused.. and i'm menopausal.. and im fat...... and now im more confused..... lol

Let me know where everyone's going ?? I feel an urge for a bag of lays potato chips.......

who am i kidding.. im feeling an urge for a big glass of chardonnay!!! lol
    :sad:

No worries....It is the Menepausal Mad Hatters all the way!! I just thought it would be nice to continue this somewhere stable.... That's a bit odd sounding coming from us , STABLE.... you know somewhere we could continue. Glad you started it.
  • redheaddiva
    Options
    hi I am 58 and have started this over and over again and when I did log in everyday I loss 20 pounds.
    but doing this without having someone to do it with is hard . I am glad I seen your post today maybe we can do this weight loss together by talking each morning and checking in when we need help staying on track. let me know if this is something you would like I am just looking for some support .oh by the way I need to loss 100 lbs.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    okey dokey ladies

Time2 and I have started up a group for all us menopausal ones looking for support in our individual goals.. if ANYONE would like to join, come on over.. it's a public group open to everyone with a sense of humour and a will to get cracking (so to speak lol).. Thank you to everyone who offered their friendship to support me.. it taking me a while to catch up on it all but hope to see everyone in the group postings!! Cheers!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6894-menopausal-mad-hatters
  • Brendanow
    Brendanow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I'm in - I need this kind of support from ladies who feel the same - 50 and menopause - I have a couple of months to lose some weight or my doctor will put me on high cholestoral pills - I said I would like to try diet and exercise - so here we go.....:smile:
  • flipflopsintx
    flipflopsintx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    :sad: I was all set to walk another mile.2 tonight but it started to rain. Well it is acutally a downpour.The lightening was so bad you could hear it sizzle. The winds kicked up and blew the chairs into the pool and we had hail. So, nope no walking for me tonight. The lights keep flickering and I'm hoping they go out so I can go to bed, even though it's only 8:16. :yawn:
    It's really nice to see that we are all, pretty much, in the same boat, which is kinda scary if you stop and think about it. :laugh: