Self hating remarks...

Options

Replies

• Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to think the same thing. Like when "skinny" girls would go on and on about how fat they were. Or how I would see someone unhappy with their current weight and I would think, "I would sell my first born child to be that small!" (she hates it when I offer to sell her)

But I have come to realize that no matter what size they are or what I see on the outside from my point of view, they see something they don't like. Just as I am not happy with what I looked like at 394, they can be equally unhappy at 294. or 194. or 144. or even 124. As long as they don't endanger their health (physical, mental, and emotional), then we are all on the same path. Just at different spots.

I totally agree. When I was in high school and 135 lbs I thought I was fat... Ha ha, I'd love to talk to my 16 year old self today!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    For those who say they can and will describe themselves however they like, is it really too much to ask for the addition of a couple of words?

It's one thing to say 'I was a disgusting blob of fat' and quite another to say 'I felt as if I were a disgusting blob of fat'.

Personally, I'm thick enough skinned that I only think in passing 'sheesh, if that's what they thought about themselves at that weight, what the heck would they think about me at this weight'? And then go read something else. But there are enough people on here with esteem issues who could be sent into a downward spiral by those casually spoken words.

Sure, there is freedom of speech and all that but it's an over used excused for people to just be rude to one another and themselves.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I agree. However some thrive on self pity and negativity. It shows in their daily posts and lives.
  • Lkoblara
    Options
    For those who say they can and will describe themselves however they like, is it really too much to ask for the addition of a couple of words?

It's one thing to say 'I was a disgusting blob of fat' and quite another to say 'I felt as if I were a disgusting blob of fat'.

Personally, I'm thick enough skinned that I only think in passing 'sheesh, if that's what they thought about themselves at that weight, what the heck would they think about me at this weight'? And then go read something else. But there are enough people on here with esteem issues who could be sent into a downward spiral by those casually spoken words.

Sure, there is freedom of speech and all that but it's an over used excused for people to just be rude to one another and themselves.

Exactly! It doesn't bother me personally but being a compassionate person I can only imaging a more fragile person reading it. The whole "tough love" thing is overused as well. There are so many other effective ways to "be real" without being rude.
  • Liberty_7728
    Liberty_7728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for putting that into perspective. You are absolutely right! We could all use a little reminder of a bigger picture. I appreciate your posting this.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

I didn't just FEEL like I was. I was! My body fat was over 50%. I WAS A FAT, LAZY, PATHETIC BLOB. Period.

Get over it. I didn't call you fat. I am talking about ME. I used the first person there^. I was disgustingly obese, and then I woke up (thank God). I'm now trying to correct it.

As I said above: everyone who comes here has obviously realized that they need to change. Otherwise, they wouldn't be here!
  • composerclark
    composerclark Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I feel this is an excellent point!

I also feel that the motivation to finally take action against our weight problems is often something negative; in my case it was seeing a picture of myself on the beach last summer and thinking, "OMG! I resemble a whale! When did that happen?"

I should have said, "OMG, I feel as if I resemble a whale! When did that happen?"

But the point is, I was appalled with myself, so much so that I finally decided to do something about it, and I suspect many others could say the same thing, hence the "self-hating" comments.

So, while I agree that the words "I feel" are a more diplomatic way of stating things, and it is important to be positive about ourselves and others, saying something negative about the way we feel we used to look seems understandable to me.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    People see themselves differently to how they see others or others see them.

When I called myself 'fat' I was not referring to anyone else.
    I'm now 'skinny fat', I'm still referring to myself. I'm not using it in a derogatory way towards others, I'm describing what I look like.

It's factual about my body. I'm not out to hurt someone's feelings.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    At my current weight, I *am* a fat disgusting unhealthy slob. That doesn't mean that anyone else is. Some people are wonderful, healthy, happy, and energetic at my weight. I am not. My weight drains me of energy, making me grumpy,, irritable, and overall not a good person to be around. I can only speak for myself, and if anyone else reads anything more into it, that's their issue, not mine. Personally, I need the negative attitude to motivate me. The "oh, I'm fine the way I am" school of thought is how I ballooned up in the first place.
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    I live by the belief (on forums), 'If you wouldn't say it in person, don't type it while hiding behind a computer screen.'

When a morbidly obese person comments on your fantastic weight loss and asks how you feel now; would you stand there in the parking lot and say, "I feel so much better now that I'm not the disgusting fat pos drain on society that I used to be!"?

No. I daresay you wouldn't. Because irl, that person would tell you off, start to cry, or at very least never speak to you again after that.

Nobody looks at the b!tchy person bragging about how they used to be disgusting but now are athletic and incredible and feels inspired. They look at someone like me, who tells them they are great for trying. That they are wonderful just as they are, but that wouldn't it be better to let your body work as it was designed to. Someone who is positive and loving, because even though I'm not fat anymore, I'm still on this journey.

I'm not bragging, I'm being honest. Try it sometime. Honesty is VERY different from having no filter.
  • Lkoblara
    Options
    I live by the belief (on forums), 'If you wouldn't say it in person, don't type it while hiding behind a computer screen.'

When a morbidly obese person comments on your fantastic weight loss and asks how you feel now; would you stand there in the parking lot and say, "I feel so much better now that I'm not the disgusting fat pos drain on society that I used to be!"?

No. I daresay you wouldn't. Because irl, that person would tell you off, start to cry, or at very least never speak to you again after that.

Nobody looks at the b!tchy person bragging about how they used to be disgusting but now are athletic and incredible and feels inspired. They look at someone like me, who tells them they are great for trying. That they are wonderful just as they are, but that wouldn't it be better to let your body work as it was designed to. Someone who is positive and loving, because even though I'm not fat anymore, I'm still on this journey.

I'm not bragging, I'm being honest. Try it sometime. Honesty is VERY different from having no filter.

YES! Well said. Hear, Hear!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    People need to buck up and not be so thin skinned.
    I see great value in those who are just honest, and sometimes objective reality is not all unicorns, rainbows and butterflies.
    That's why they have an "Ignore User" function for every member of MFP

If somebody is not politically correct to your standard, ignore them and enjoy life in the echo chamber of unworthy affirmation.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It's a defense mechanism. Say it first before someone says it to you. Not healthy.
  • hayden2218
    hayden2218 Posts: 15
    Options

Word. To alllllll of that.
  • alicepoppyh
    Options

Completely agree.
  • chelseyjoan
    chelseyjoan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

Erm. :noway: I do refer to myself in person as a [former] fat slob. I also recognize that I have a LONG way to go. I'm still not a healthy weight. I'm still fat. Not as fat, and I'm no longer obese, but I'm still fat. I have people say, "you weren't THAT big." Wrong. I was a fat, lazy slob. I didn't do anything to take care of myself. I ate crap all.the.time. And LOTS of it. MORE THAN HALF OF MY BODY WAS FAT!!!! That's not "not that bad." That's fat. Period.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying and have felt similarly, but it's important to remember that most people are much more critical of themselves than they are of others. I don't just see rolls of fat on legs when I look at overweight women, but sometimes that's how I view myself. Others just look like... people. Beautiful people even. My mom, for instance, is very overweight... and has sparkling green eyes and curly blond hair and I think she's just -gorgeous-.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Obeserat. It's not appropriate to tell other people how to feel about themselves or how to talk about themselves. While I appreciate your positivity, you need to remember that some people handle their emotions differently and that negativity actually propels some people forward and they need to remind themselves that they were/are fat/ugly/disgusting. It's nature that some people were raised to think positively to move forward and some people were raised to think negatively.

Notice rjmwx81 says exactly this. He needs to say that to himself to keep motivated.

For those individuals who take it personally when someone else calls themselves fat, that's a personal issue that they need to deal with. If I want to call myself fat and disgusting at my weight, then I will. I'm not going to put on a happy face so everyone else on the forum can feel good about themselves.

If people say that everyone who weighs a certain weight is a big fat cow, then by all means, criticize away.

But if they're talking about themselves, just exit the forum. They reserve the right to feel fat and ugly. You reserve the right not to read their post. But don't judge people just because they don't think like you do.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    They reserve the right to feel fat and ugly. You reserve the right not to read their post. But don't judge people just because they don't think like you do.

^so true

To the OP, I do agree with you that you should watch how your words affect others, it is very circumstantial. When people read that, I think most will understand that the person thought of themselves as a "fat, lazy, slob" or saw something they didn't like and that they didn't mean harm to others. Although, I can see how someone could find it offensive. It could go either way quite easily.