Was I wrong?

Options
olee67
olee67 Posts: 208 Member
So, I was at the gym today doing my workout, and, there were these two women there. They got there about 10 minutes into my workout. My gym isn't very big, so, benches are very limited when using dumbbells. Essentially, these two women were using two benches to sit on. Not work out, but, to sit on. Their routine went something like this:

Do a few reps, while standing, sit down and talk for 5 minutes. Stand up, do a few reps, sit down and talk for 5 minutes. 90% of what I was doing today was standing until I wanted to finish with incline curls. While they were sitting and talking (this had been going on for about 40-45 minutes now) I walked over and asked "can I use one of these benches while you're talking?"
"No, we're using them," said one of the women.
"Right now you're talking. How about you guys just use one bench and one works while the other rests? I just need to use it for a few minutes" I said.
The other women replied, "there's other benches you can use. Just use one of those."
"I would, but, othere people are actually using them to work out not as a park bench" I said.
"Whatever, not our problem" one said.
"You know, there is a women's section in this gym. They have all the free weights, benches, and machines you could ever need. You can use that area to sit and talk all you want" I said.
"The music is too loud from the aerobics in there........"
I cut her off, "So you won't be able to talk? Exactly!"

Mind you, this is a very isolated incident. Like I said, my gym is small. Everyone goes there to work out. Men, women, young, and old alike. I've never encountered this or witnessed anyone else deal with this there. And yes, the last thing I said was a backhanded why of saying "get the F%$* off the bench" and I kind of said it in a way to imply it as well... LOUDLY.

Needless to say, I had to alter my routine to finish my workout. But, I don't think it mattered what I did at that point. I was so angry that anything I did I was going to get the most I could out of it.

Oh, one more thing. Do all old men walk around the locker room in their birthday suits everywhere else?

Replies

• kilasumowrestler
    Options
    You weren't wrong at all! They should have been courteous enough to realize space was limited and they weren’t putting forth 100% like the other patrons.
    Now from a pride standpoint, if they left shortly after the encounter, they too, realized they were being unfair with the equipment/space.
    If they stayed even longer and continued with their “routine” they are just jerks.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    And yes, the last thing I said was a backhanded why of saying "get the F%$* off the bench"

You asked nicely at first, they're hogging exercise equipment while not exercising. I think the last statement pretty much sums up what they should have done.

Oh, one more thing. Do all old men walk around the locker room in their birthday suits everywhere else?
    Yep, pretty much. I went to a spa with my wife this year and in the men's locker room it was full of naked old men. The gray hair and folds of wrinkly skin was everywhere to be seen.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No, you weren't wrong. At that point, I would have gone to find a staff member.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    NO, you were not wrong. I thought you were nice about it acutally. I know I wouldn't have been so sweet.... and definately complained to management.
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    Basic gym etiquette is to share (assuming it doesn't completely interfere with the other person's workout). I learned this years ago in the gym when I first started lifting. If someone was using a bench and were resting, I would ask to "work in" with them if they had a long rest. It was never a problem. Nowadays I see people want to monopolize the machines and benches and not share. You can ask to work in, but half the time they don't even know what that means and just respond with "I'm not done yet." "Yes, I get that you are not done, but while you rest, I can do a set and than I rest and you do a set. And we are alllll happy. :)"

Seriously, gym orientation needs to go over this stuff with people or post it in big letters on the walls.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You weren't wrong... and I don't know about men, but the women do.. so unsettling..LOL
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You weren't wrong at all...from the sounds of it, you went about it very nicely...they were just being rude....no reason they couldn't have let you work out while they finished their conversation elsewhere.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    No, you were not wrong. That was just plain ignorance on their part. Next time get a staff member.
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    Hey, I resemble that remark! :smile: When I was in the military EVERYONE walked around the locker room that way. I'm just used to it.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You were so right that I now love you. Though it would have taken me less time to give out the ol' verbal b!tch slap.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    No you were not wrong. The ladies were wrong for not being considerate enough to allow you to finish your routine. The could have easily had their rest together on one bench. The elderly that went to the gym I used to go to did this a lot and it caused a lot of problems.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No, you were not wrong. That was just plain ignorance on their part. Next time get a staff member.

This, I totally would have once they got snarky. Or said. "Do I need to get the manager?"
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I would have just grabbed the bench while they were "working", dragged it off to another area and started doing my set.. but thats me.

You are no way in the wrong and were plenty polite.

People need to realize that just because they pay to go to the gym, does not mean that they can monopolize the space.

Reminds me of an incident I ran into yesterday while visiting my mom at a rehab center. Some women was having car trouble so instead of pulling off to the side or into an actual space, she parks her car in the middle of aisle, blocking all the other cars in on both sides and proceeds to leave it there un-attended. When she finally came back out and saw me going to my car, she tells me "oh don't back out yet because I'm having car trouble and I'm going to try and pull forward"(mind you at this point she had backed up a bit so I could free my car and if she pulled forward I would have been blocked in again). I told her look, you already blocked me in once because you couldn't be bothered to stay with your car and I'll be damned if you do it again!
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think if I asked politely and they said, "No, we are using it." I would have probably just backed off and waitted for one to be available. I don't think arguing with them would help any. But, that's just me. You can't control other people, only your own response to them.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that you handled yourself pretty well.
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Heck no you wasn't wrong. I hate when incidents like this happen at the gym. Either people need to workout or go home. Geez. Furthermore after they use the equipment, they should wipe it down too.
  • EmilyLStuart
    EmilyLStuart Posts: 172
    Options
    I just hate I missed seeing it!

Reminds me of the two women at my gym who shout (talk) - loudly - non stop - to each other, over the hum of the treadmills. They are always in there together and I seriously can hear every single word they shout to one other from any local in the gym. It is so very annoying.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You were right on par. You asked nicely, they declined. Basically they have no comprehension gym etiquette.

Only suggestion, always keep in mind alternate lifts/exercises when you run into an issue like this as you don't want to slow down your burn because they suck at life.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    This is why I refuse to go to the Gym. I bought what i need for home and will make do with what I lack. People are rude and nasty sometimes! I used to get to the gym, 6 treadmills, only 3 working and wait for 30 minutes while 3 women walk at 2.5 and chat. I'm sorry but all I wanted to do was run 7 MILES!!!

I do it at home now, have 2 treadmills just in case.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    No, you were not wrong.

I dont know about old hairy men and what they do. Youre on your own with that one.