"You are probably just gaining muscle"

Options
Well i spend plenty of time perusing the forums and I read constantly about how you cannot gain muscle while in a caloric deficit.
So I am always very confused when, on my news feed, one of my friends will post a small gain, maybe a pound, and then feel upset about it.
There is inevitably always one person that will comment, "don't worry about it, you are probably just gaining muscle"

Is this even a legit response? Of course she was in a deficit, she's trying to lose weight. So how could she be gaining muscle?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    not really, no. it's usually water.
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Like wellbert said, probably water weight. Especially if they eat a lot of salty foods for a few days. Only time you will gain weight on a deficit is if you are experiencing noob gains, however if they are not tracking properly, that could also be a problem.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Agreed that it's usually water. For that reason, I ignore weight changes within +- 4lbs or so.

Women can only gain a maximum of about 2.5lbs per month in muscle mass.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It is possible to gain muscle whilst on a calorie deficit but only in limited circumstances: overfat beginners, those new to training, formerly athletic people coming back to training after a layoff. However, the amount is limited and a short term phenomenon only (although I have seen a study which challenges this notion but it was too limited in scope to draw solid conclusions from).

The confusion arises because people use the terms lean body mass (LBM / fat free mass) which includes water and muscle mass interchangeably. Therefore when people say it was an increase in muscle they probably mean water / fluid stored to help with muscle repair or due to inflammation.

I think people tend to ask the wrong type of questions in this regard. It is far better to ask yourself "am I getting stronger" "do I feel better" or "do I look better". If the answer is yes then obviously: keep doing what you are doing and let the scale worry about itself....
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm confused too...does anyone have a brief scientific explanation of WHY our bodies works this way, rather than a yes or no? Healthy food goes in, I do some weight exercises, my muscles ache, I drink a protein shake, I eat less than 1500 calories, the scale doesn't budge for 5 days, but I lose half an inch in my hips, waist, and neck. How is this possible if I'm not building muscle? Is the noob weight that was referred to? Guidance would help, since I apparently need it.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how bodybuilders work their *kitten* off to gain a a little bit of muscle in a month, but someone on a cut trying to lose weight can pop 5lbs of muscle in a weekend. :)

Like everyone else said it's usually water. Keep tabs on your measurements and bodyfat %.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm confused too...does anyone have a brief scientific explanation of WHY our bodies works this way, rather than a yes or no? Healthy food goes in, I do some weight exercises, my muscles ache, I drink a protein shake, I eat less than 1500 calories, the scale doesn't budge for 5 days, but I lose half an inch in my hips, waist, and neck. How is this possible if I'm not building muscle? Is the noob weight that was referred to? Guidance would help, since I apparently need it.

Because when you train your muscles are under stress and they develop little tears. It's just how they deal with the stress of you doing stuff to your body. They then flood with water to repair and protect themselves. Drinking lots of water helps with this as it flushes through the stuff and stops your body hoarding the water so much.

I tend to see changes on the scale quicker when I don't work out but I look better when I do.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Because when you train your muscles are under stress and they develop little tears. It's just how they deal with the stress of you doing stuff to your body. They then flood with water to repair and protect themselves. Drinking lots of water helps with this as it flushes through the stuff and stops your body hoarding the water so much.

I tend to see changes on the scale quicker when I don't work out but I look better when I do.

Excellent information. Thank you!
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

And on top of this, you are sore because you are stressing your body in a way that it's not used to being stressed (either by a new exercise or a higher weight). Think about sitting in a car for a few hours, when you get out, sometimes you are sore because you're not used to that type of activity (not to mention the seats are not exactly comfortable).

Your body needs excess calories to build muscle, on a calorie deficit, you can see your strength increase a bit, but you won't get anymore volume.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    bump
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    NO its not!
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how bodybuilders work their *kitten* off to gain a a little bit of muscle in a month, but someone on a cut trying to lose weight can pop 5lbs of muscle in a weekend. :)

Like everyone else said it's usually water. Keep tabs on your measurements and bodyfat %.

Haha!
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It is possible to gain muscle whilst on a calorie deficit but only in limited circumstances: overfat beginners, those new to training, formerly athletic people coming back to training after a layoff. However, the amount is limited and a short term phenomenon only (although I have seen a study which challenges this notion but it was too limited in scope to draw solid conclusions from).

The confusion arises because people use the terms lean body mass (LBM / fat free mass) which includes water and muscle mass interchangeably. Therefore when people say it was an increase in muscle they probably mean water / fluid stored to help with muscle repair or due to inflammation.

I think people tend to ask the wrong type of questions in this regard. It is far better to ask yourself "am I getting stronger" "do I feel better" or "do I look better". If the answer is yes then obviously: keep doing what you are doing and let the scale worry about itself....

Totally agree. When you spend 18 years sitting at a desk or driving to another desk, you stop using a lot of muscle. All of the sudden, I'm playing around with weights, walking 3-5 miles a day, and just MOVING. I think I've probably gained a bit of muscle and was holding on to water, which kept the scales from moving for a couple of months. But I'm feeling better and looking better. I'm losing inches like crazy, lost two pants sizes, but the scale wasn't moving and I DIDN'T CARE. Now that my body is getting used to moving again, the scales are tipping in my favor.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Many people confuse DOMS or any kind of muscle soreness as "oh I worked hard" or just "zee progress!". This is far from the case. As others have said only in certain special cases can you build muscle on a deficit. The extremely obese can (dat lifelong bulk), as well as beginner lifters, and even then it is not especially fast. Strength training will cause high fluctuations in water weight, especially if supplementing creatine.

It never ceases to entertain me though the amount of women that are either A) Scared if they bench press a 45lb barbell alone they will lose their tits and look like She-hulk or B) Think they actually gained a pound of muscle in just a few days. My girlfriend is going to begin strength training with me soon and it was hilarious how stereotypical her mother and grandma were about it, "You will lose your boobs and look manly!"
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

THANK you for that last paragraph!!! I was having this discussion with my mom yesterday. In HER opinion, if the scales are not going down or not fast enough, then you are not being successful EVEN though in the NEXT breath she said she could tell I was getting smaller!!! I tried to tell her it's a COMBINATION of scales and measurements! I would say after almost 70 lbs total lost and over 6 inches in hips and waist EACH (not combined) I've been VERY successful! I try not to let her opinion derail me. Sometimes it's hard, but just after we talked yesterday I went to town and EVERYONE I saw who knows me was like WOW!!!! :D
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you are obese, it is possible to gain muscle in a deficit, however, the process of building muscle takes weeks. Usually what people refer to when they make this statement is that the body stores glycogen to aid in the process of building muscle. Glycogen is water and sugar and can add significantly to your weight, but it is not actually muscle.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Can you gain strength without building muscle? I consistently do better in my strength workouts on a calorie deficit :P
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I was going to say the exact same thing. Muscle building (at least a physical noticable difference) usually takes about 6-7 weeks to set in, which usually results in about the 1-2lbs a month a previous poster was talking about. I don't necessairly agree that you can't build muscle if you're in calorie deficit. I eat in calorie deficit, but lift 2x a week and have been developing muscle. I'm trying to lose weight as well, as build muscle. It's REALLY all about eating the RIGHT kind of macros (carbs, protein, fat) vs eating a certain amount of calories.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    People that say such foolish things are unlearned and off base.
    I tell people stressing over the scale it's "bloat", and they should ignore it.

Weight tracking should not be such drama.
    I weigh myself daily upon awaking before eating or drinking but after a good morning pooh.:drinker:
    And I record any gains the instant I enter a newer, lower number.
    EXAMPLE: If I was 199.9, then saw my weight creeping down day after day, I would not record a new weight on MFP until that scale said 198.9.
    And I record 198....and so on....
    Makes it more fun for me, but some people who stress out over the scale would go insane doing this.
    I get it.
    To each his own.
    I also track progress with bodyfat. Weight is not the whole picture, and the scale can lie as badly as the man in the mirror.
    You can check here for free: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    Something else to obsess over? Not al all.
    Remember, you rule the numbers - not the other way around.
    Have a great day!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Can you gain strength without building muscle? I consistently do better in my strength workouts on a calorie deficit :P

Oh, yes. Definitely. I have nearly quadrupled my squatting weight and gained very little, if any, muscle.

There's a few things at work:
    1) Your brain is getting a better grasp on how to control your muscles.
    2) You are simply getting better at doing the exercise