Everyone talks about eating before bed what about exercise

Options

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time settling down enough to sleep, myself. My body is still humming from a kick *kitten* run/bike ride and I can't go to sleep
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Can't sleep if I exercise at night. Do what best for you and your body.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    How late are you talking? I make a rule for myself that I have to be finished by 7:30, because otherwise, it does seem to mess with my sleep.

I think you could do some cool down/stretching/deep breathing to relax yourself. Just try it and see what happens. Good luck! :)

Probably about 9:00 and 9:40 on "tubby" nights. I am typically up until about 11:30 - midnight.

I've done this on occasion when the day has gotten away from me and once for a second trip after going to Planet Marshmallow for a Toasted Marshmallow latte and salted caramel cheese cake. This would however be 4-6 days a week instead of once every other week or so.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    For quite a while, I followed a similar schedule where I came home from work, cooked dinner, childcare, etc. then went to the gym after my daughter was in bed for the night and my husband was home. I never had trouble going to sleep but I was always worried I would talk myself out of going. I found the best way to combat that was to get dressed in my workout clothes right after I got home and before I started dinner. I found that if I was already dressed and ready to go, I would usually go:)
  • jamondaw
    jamondaw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had some of best sleep after I have worked out and taken a bath afterwards. I think the reason why is because my body is so tired but relaxed. IT WAS UNCOMPARABLE!!!!!!!! :)
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I am able to workout about a couple of hours before I go to bed. It always relaxes me when I shower after my workout.Everyone is different, find what works best for you.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing? The gym? Cardio? Playing a sport?

For me if I play ice hockey ( I can only usually get ice time at night) I can't sleep for hours after. But, days like yesterday where I walked home from work then hit the gym for another hour, I was out like a light.

Sometimes I think it depends on the type of activity I am doing. I would love to be able to get up early and work out and, on occasion I do but it's hard for me. Everyone has their thing.

But, you're trying and that's the point so best of luck!

PS- The shower thing definitely helps, I agree.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing? The gym? Cardio? Playing a sport?

For me if I play ice hockey ( I can only usually get ice time at night) I can't sleep for hours after. But, days like yesterday where I walked home from work then hit the gym for another hour, I was out like a light.

Sometimes I think it depends on the type of activity I am doing. I would love to be able to get up early and work out and, on occasion I do but it's hard for me. Everyone has their thing.

But, you're trying and that's the point so best of luck!

PS- The shower thing definitely helps, I agree.

It's the gym, it's a 2 mintue drive from my house. Some days I do strength training and less cardio other days I do all cardio. Strenght is every other day so it's 7 times every two weeks.
  • lcallbaugh
    lcallbaugh Posts: 33
    Options
    Over the years I have usually done my workout in the early morning before work. However, now that we have a second child I am finding it difficult to have enough time for a good workout. I have been trying to decide if I should do it after the kids go to bed. After reading this I am going to give it a shot. I look forward to a longer less 'time-pressured' workout.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Good idea to try it, trying it will tell you if it's a bad idea.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I always exercise later. Usually between 8pm-10pm. I love it because a) the kids are asleep b) no interruption c) I can take a hot shower before bed and it feels great.
    Go for it!
  • jkrod81
    jkrod81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For a year and a half, the only time I could fit in a decent workout was after 8:30 pm. I would workout for 90 minutes, shower, read from my Nook Color (so I wouldn't have to turn on a lamp and disrupt my husbands sleep), and pass out. When I first started this routine, I think I might have had a harder time falling asleep right away, but it didn't take long for my body to adjust. Many times I would nod off with my Nook in hands, lol! Now I workout early in the mornings. I do prefer morning workouts because I feel like I am better able to control my caloric intake. I have a better idea of how much I am able to consume because I have a better idea of how many extra workout calories I get. Otherwise working out in the morning or night doesn't really matter to me. Workout when you can. Night, morning, afternoon... it doesn't really matter. You are getting your exercise and that is better than not workout out at all.
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I personally can't sleep if I exercise too late. But you can try.

Same. I exercise in the morning before my husband and daughter (17 months) wake up. It wakes me up and doesn't cut into my time with them. I've also found that eating a handful of almonds before I work out is enough to power me through and keep me from getting hungry without being too full to really push.
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 years old and a full time job so my workouts are always in the evenings anywhere from 8pm-10pm

I never have trouble sleeping xx
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have kickboxing class 7:40-8:40 Tuesday and Thursday and I go to bed about 10pm. I sleep so much better, too, but exercising that close to bedtime.

You're going to find a lot of differing opinions and research on both subjects. Personally, I think that both are fine, but it depends on what you eat before bed. When I go to bed hungry, I wake up in the middle of the night.
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day, in the morning 1hr after my breakfast, and at night 1hr after my dinner

and I spend a Hour at the gym, + the 15min drive

don't have a problem sleeping right after, my normal bed time is 1am.. i cant seem to function if i sleep more than 5-6hrs >_<
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I do cardio in the morning but I almost always do my strength training at around 9:00 pm. Like you said it just gives me more time with the family and I like it because the gym is less crowed later. Personally I sleep like the dead after I workout. I come home, grab a protein shake and a shower and I can go right to sleep so easily after that. It's actually nice that I don't have to struggle with feeling like I'm out of energy because I sleep through the recovery time. Try it out for a couple weeks and see how you like it.
  • movn4ward
    movn4ward Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I say give it a try. I am always able to go to sleep after I work out, but what helps most is my after work out routine. I have to wind down in order to fall alsleep most nights. Showering and getting things prepared for the next day always helps me drift right off to sleep.

Then again, I do a midday workout and that makes me sleepy. LOL. Everyone is different when it comes to these things, it is basically a try and see. I say as long as you work out doesn't matter what time of day.
  • mommab23k
    mommab23k Posts: 35
    Options
    First off, KUDOS to you for trying to figure out how to fit in your exercise daily while making time for your family!!! Seriously, good for you:) Your wife I KNOW appreciates it, talking from experience here:)

Try it and see if it works. If it doesn't affect your sleep pattern, go for it. If you can't sleep and you end up cranky and tired because of it, no good.

Do you typically help out a lot in the AM before work? Could you go early in the morning before your wife and daughter wake up? That way, if you do get an energy burst after your workout, you could use it to your benefit at work and still make it home at your regular time to be w/your family. My guess is your wife is pretty tired at the end of the day and doesn't stay up too late and then you can go to bed together too. I work out at 5:30 each AM, and rarely am I up past 10 pm.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Lovely idea to go later so you can spend time with your wife and baby, but I'm guessing you would struggle to sleep, or at least get a deep sleep. I would suggest getting up earlier and doing it first thing. You still get to spend the whole evening with your wife and baby, but may also get some alternative exercise on the evening too - bonus! x