PLANET FITNESS GYM and its" Judgment Zone"

Options

Replies

• HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options

4.They make unhealthy snack options so readily available
    -Everyday they have a huge bowl of tootsie rolls in the front desk for people to take
    -Today, for breakfast, they had donuts and bagels for us

But...I'm so confused. How is this supposed to work for weight loss? Does anyone here love Planet Fitness? Has it worked for you?

IMO, its so people can stay fat and keep coming. At least that is what my friend and I deduced when we went there on a Monday for the first time and they were serving pizza.

They don't force you to eat the pizza. It is there if you want it. I completely forgot the pizza was there during my workout and didn't even think about getting a slice. Is the gym the ONLY place you get a temptation. Besides it is once a month not everyday. And some people reward themselves that way.

Yes, they don't force it on you! Also, they let me take pizza home to the kids, even given me a box so I can take each child 2 pieces. That gets me to the gym bc my kids know when its pizza night and love it for dinner!
  • movn4ward
    movn4ward Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am currently a member and the unhealthy food options also bugged the heck out of me. I guess each one is a little different as they are franchises (my understanding, cud be wrong) because we always have upbeat music.

What I hate is that incessant bowl of tootsie rolls, don't they know I am a chocoholic! They also have a PIZZA PARTY one night per month. What the fudge? The good part of all this is you will build up your will power. It is a great starter gym and super affordable. I can proudly say I have not had one tootsie roll since I have been a member. My tactic is to keep it moving, I walk straight pass the front desk do my workout and leave. I've never known when the party was going on either.

I have lost weight and since the location is convenient, its easy for me to stay motivated. I actually do like Planet Fitness, it is perfect for my goals right now. You should feel comfortable at the gym you choose. However, if changing is not an option right now, remember that your goals are personal and do your best to stay focused. Since you pointed out all this craziness, you are obviously headed in the right direction you know the red flags to steer clear of.

As for the scale, that sounds like a great thing to me at this point, sometimes that can be the biggest motivation killer.

It's sad that it seems an obvious ploy to keep weight loss beginners members of their gym, by providing bad choices so readily.
  • bigandysrunning
    bigandysrunning Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a current member of Planet Fitness,and yes, they are a bit different to say the least. I actually asked about the No Scale in the locker room thing, and I was told firmly that this is a judgement free zone, and they don't have scales because that would go against their whole Judgement Free philosophy. While I can relate to (and appreciate) the idea of having a place that an overweight person who is not entirely comfortable with themselves and trying to make some changes can go where you can feel comfortable because you know you are not going to be surrounded by a bunch of super muscleboud giants or super fit cardio gods and goddesses. Not that there is anything wrong with either one of those types of gym-goers, it's just that they whether intentional or not, they have an air about them in the gym that makes the rest of us, especially if we are not happy with the place we are in to begin with uncomfortable and even discouraged from the task at hand. So for that whole "judgement free" philosophy, I say kudos, Planet Fitness. That being said, if the target audience you are going for is the "weight loss community", a way to track your progress and reinforce why you are at the gym in the first place would be nice, but I get it.

The other thing I tell myself is to keep things in perspective. We're talking ten bucks a month here. There are a ton of other gyms out there who have scales in the locker rooms, offer classes, more free weights then you can ever use, etc. They also can charge 3,4,or 5 times as much for a month to use their facilities. (maybe they have to pay for all that extra stuff, maybe it's an exclusivity thing, or possibly a little of both). For now, I'm content with going to the gym, getting my cardio and weight machine work in, and then weighing myself every morning at home. (and saving the extra 30 or so bucks a month to spend on something else)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I know it's working for some folks here, but PF is a terrible, terrible place to work out. It's cool that it's dirt cheap and there's no contracts, but you'd be better off saving the $10 odd bucks and walking and doing pushups in a park by your house. By not having real weights, keeping the dumbbells low, and not even having a scale(?!?!?!) they are putting a cap on progress.

And their "Lunk Alarm" tactics prove that they actually are a Judgement Zone. It's just a Planet of the Apes type reversal where the judgement flows in the opposite direction than you'd expect.
  • SMALbrit
    SMALbrit Posts: 10
    Options
    I absolutely love the one in my town. They play cool music and I've never seen any donuts or bad snacks. It's clean and the staff and patrons are very supportive.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was a member for a year and a half. I liked that it was cheap and I didn't have a contract. Mine had a huge row of TV's with a box on each cardio machine to plug your headphones into, so I usually watched TV while running then listened to my own music while on weight machines. Mine also had a scale in the locker room, however I never used it as I prefer to weigh in at home first thing in the morning.

I did think that the monthly donuts and pizza were weird for a gym to be providing. I never ran into the donuts as I didn't go on Tuesday mornings, but when I was doing evenings I would run into the Monday pizza. I tried to make sure I had a snack before going and had plans for a yummy dinner that I wouldn't want to spoil afterwards.

Other downfalls were that it doesn't have childcare and there were no classes. But I didn't expect that it would have those things for such a inexpensive monthly fee. I left because I moved and that gym no longer made sense.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yea the frickin pop station at my gym that they play is annoying if it's too loud because I'm trying to listen to my own music. I would prefer no / quieter music to be honest. I don't go to PF, but I have considered it. The gym I go to is similarly priced, but the weight room is *very* intimidating, and I never go in there unless I have a gym buddy, so I've considered that PF might be more my speed. Changing gyms is such a pain though. Also I always weigh at home anyways. I don't want to weigh myself with sneakers etc. on - I want to know my weight in my skivvies. ;) I don't love the classes at the gym I go to either. Tried a "concept x" class and felt like I had carpal tunnel for 3 days because of all the frickin bear crawls the trainer made us do. There's a difference between soreness because you're getting stronger and soreness because you came close to injuring yourself. x_x
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It is a great bargain, and if I only go once or twice a month I don't feel like I'm wasting my dollars. I usually go there when my home gym is occupied (it's also an office) or when I want to workout with excellent air conditioning. Plus my treadmill needs a cleaning.

Anyways, there are about 20 TVs, with cartoons and telenovelas and news and food network.

Everything is fairly clean but the members are slobs. There IS a scale. The music is upbeat and modern.

The 30 minute workout is actually a pretty awesome idea, too bad the members are also "special" and the rules do not apply to them, which kindof ruins the whole thing.

Not enough weights; they might as well have had none if they're gonna have such a limited supply.

Short story, the price is right.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I joined FP a month ago. The gym is clean, well-kept, and well-stocked with free weights, dumbells, and machines. I rarely have to wait to do my regular work out, and the staff if usually pretty nice. The Personal Trainer is kind of a waste of time, but to go in, work out, shower, and go to work, it's worth the money I pay (which isn't a lot).

Just my $0.02.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    is this the gym that is purple and gold all over? like I'd want to commit suicide if I had to look at those gaudy colors my entire workout?

at least that is how they are here....horrific. I wouldn't go for that very reason.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I was a member for a little while, and didn't mind it. No scale - so what, I have one at home. I listened to my mp3 player when I went so it was never an issue for me. I don't remember the free food, maybe mine didn't have that? The only thing I didn't like was that there were no classes and no kids room. But for $10/month and no contract, how can you complain??
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to PF for a couple of years. I love it!!

I think the pizza and bagels get a bad rap. You don't have to eat it or the tootsie rolls. If you go the in moderation route, one slice of pizza or a bagel is not going to make or break you.

I love, love, love the fact that they do not cater to the big lug heads like the other gyms. It is more for the "fitness" minded rather than just the "body builders"
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    After my workout I reward myself with a tootsie roll on my way out the door...just one isn't going to ruin my progress!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    "Judgment FREE Zone"
    Aw yes, I LOVE this about Planet Fitness. Finally a place where I can go get a good workout and not feel discriminated against. I can be free!

It's like when I go to my only whites allowed social club. It's great, a place where I can go without having to worry about feeling judged by blacks and other minorities. A place for my fellow whites with no discrimination. I just have to be careful to not say things like 'bro' or 'homie'. Otherwise they will set off the slang alarm...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    * "Judgment FREE Zone"

Hello everyone. I recently started attending Planet Fitness. I go with my mom every morning at 6am. I've only attended for one week but have observed a lot of interesting, different things that I have not seen in other gyms:

1. Their motto is that its a "Judgment Free Zone".
    -This makes me feel like they think everyone there is super paranoid about their weight.

2. They have no scale in the bathroom
    -How am I supposed to track my progress?

3. They have no upbeat music playing
    -You really think I can stay motivated with classical music?

4.They make unhealthy snack options so readily available
    -Everyday they have a huge bowl of tootsie rolls in the front desk for people to take
    -Today, for breakfast, they had donuts and bagels for us

I do enjoy that I dont have to sign a contract. Also, it is very close to my house. The gym is also very clean and neat plus the people are very friendly.

But...I'm so confused. How is this supposed to work for weight loss? Does anyone here love Planet Fitness? Has it worked for you?
    It's not unless the person who's working out there takes control for themselves. I've visited 2 (while on vacation because I needed a place to work out and they were the closest ones) and my workouts went fine. But I did notice that "lack" of any hardcore people there both times. A more "lazy" workout (low effort, using very low weights, etc.) from the majority of participants I observed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Larimar0989
    Options
    My Planet Fitness has: a scale in the bathroom, great music, weights up to about 400 lbs, free pizza the first Monday of the month and free bagels the second Tueday of the month (but both are accompanied by lots of fruit), and it is a judgement free zone. I see everyone from hard core body builders, to the local high school athletes, to an elderly woman who does the machines with her purse in tow, to obese people steadily walking the treadmills and everywhere in between. I have felt comfortable enough to ask people questions (in betweeb their sets of course) and have never not had another member help me if I asked. 3 of the front desk peeps know me by name.

I love my gym! Don't judge all the franchises based on an experience at one franchise. Now, my gym may be different because we live in the suburbs (I perfer to think of it as a small town, but thats not really true anymore) and our gym is smack in the middle of several neighborhoods.

The Planet Fitness you have described seems the be one of the ONLY ones like its kind...just read most of these posts. I asked the associates about the weights and scales and they said every PF has this policy because of its motto...so no, I'm not judging. Its an observation.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The price is great. The place is great. A few weird things. I can't wear my skull cap by itself, which I used to prevent major head sweating, and no scales. But thankfully there is a store right down from PF that has a big accurate scale. I go and have one conveniently located. I like the fact they only use dumbbells and don't go to a crazy high weight. A free weight bench would be nice, but im okay with not having one as well. I get good workouts with dumbbells.
  • Larimar0989
    Options
    WOW what kind of planet fitness do you guys go to?! the one near my house is hardcore and i love it. i annihilate that thing everyday and they never serve food there.

plus, youre not supposed to weigh yourself on multiple scales? stick with the one you have at home. who cares that the gym doesnt have a scale?!

stop hatin!!!!!!!

Nobody is hating on anything lol. No one is saying they are weighing themselves on multiple scales...
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice that people have a choice of gyms. That's great.
  • Larimar0989
    Options
    I am a current member of Planet Fitness,and yes, they are a bit different to say the least. I actually asked about the No Scale in the locker room thing, and I was told firmly that this is a judgement free zone, and they don't have scales because that would go against their whole Judgement Free philosophy. While I can relate to (and appreciate) the idea of having a place that an overweight person who is not entirely comfortable with themselves and trying to make some changes can go where you can feel comfortable because you know you are not going to be surrounded by a bunch of super muscleboud giants or super fit cardio gods and goddesses. Not that there is anything wrong with either one of those types of gym-goers, it's just that they whether intentional or not, they have an air about them in the gym that makes the rest of us, especially if we are not happy with the place we are in to begin with uncomfortable and even discouraged from the task at hand. So for that whole "judgement free" philosophy, I say kudos, Planet Fitness. That being said, if the target audience you are going for is the "weight loss community", a way to track your progress and reinforce why you are at the gym in the first place would be nice, but I get it.

The other thing I tell myself is to keep things in perspective. We're talking ten bucks a month here. There are a ton of other gyms out there who have scales in the locker rooms, offer classes, more free weights then you can ever use, etc. They also can charge 3,4,or 5 times as much for a month to use their facilities. (maybe they have to pay for all that extra stuff, maybe it's an exclusivity thing, or possibly a little of both). For now, I'm content with going to the gym, getting my cardio and weight machine work in, and then weighing myself every morning at home. (and saving the extra 30 or so bucks a month to spend on something else)

Very true!