Kale- What's it like?

Options
jkrim941
jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
I've been reading up on the major benefits of consuming Kale.

However, I have never had it and am looking for some suggestions on how to comsume it. Is it okay to use in place of other leafy greens for salad, or is the taste more bitter and require being cooked in certain ways to make it palatable?

Replies

• goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    I love kale and eat it every week.

It is really inexpensive and full of fiber. :)

I like to saute it with Olive oil, onions and garlic for a savory dish.

Another great way to eat it is mixing it with raisins or dates, and greek yogut. YUMMM
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    It can be consumed raw but it's a little tough for some people's stomachs. I personally don't mind it that way. You can also sautee it in a little EVOO (or coconut oil if you prefer) with some garlic and a little salt/pepper. I serve it alongside grilled chicken. I've also tossed the leftovers in a nice omelet before. Kale chips are really popular and tasty if you have the right recipe. I use this one and add garlic powder along with chipotle pepper powder to spice them up.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=kale chips&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use it and cook it like I would cabbage... its got a similar sort of taste.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I've used it in smoothies, however it gives too much of a strong "plant" taste. However this was using it raw. If you are eating it for nutritional benefits you actually do want to cook it and consume it with some fat in order to get the most nutritional value out of it. Yet to try Kale chips but you will get the same out of most krusciferous vegetables honestly (cabbage, swiss chard, spinach etc)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    My aunt has put it in a baking pan..and stuck it in the oven with lemon juice and we ate it just like that.. pretty yummy =)
  • shanaynayb
    shanaynayb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I only like it cooked lol. I mix it with spinach and put it in quesadillas. Yum!
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Delicious! It has a very distinct flavour. Raw I find it can be quite chewy, which is why I like to steam it.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like it raw, I add it to salads. I have also juiced it before. My sister loves it, and cracked me up when I saw her wearing one of these shirts :)http://eatmorekale.com/
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I love eating it cooked. Sauteeing with butter or oil and some garlic, salt, and pepper is super easy and tasty.

Also, making chips out of it is fun. Just put the oven on a really low heat setting (like 250F), use a wooden spoon to hold the door open slightly to let the humidity out, and you got yourself some chips!

Not such a big fan of it raw.
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is great. Thanks for the opinions and suggestions!
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    apparently kale is one of the highest in pesticides (I grow it in my garden)

Try a simple kale, banana and water smoothie.

It is simple, filling and surprisingly good.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Soups are easy, filling, and delicious! Try this: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/kale_and_roasted_vegetable_soup/
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    you need this recipe in your life. i love it.

1 head kale, washed and thoroughly dried
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Sea salt, for sprinkling
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.

Remove the ribs from the kale and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt. Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through, about 20 minutes. Serve as finger food.
  • fergie2812
    fergie2812 Posts: 162
    Options
    Kale is great for eyesight. I was eating loads and my eyes improved considerably.
    I used to have mine steamed then stir in butter and sesame seeds
    also nice with bacon!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i love leafy green veggies, but kale is pretty gross to me. its chewy!

tried making kale chips, they were terrible.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love it too. If you want to get your feet wet with it; try going to Trader Joe's and buying their Kale and Spinach Yogurt Dip. SO good! It's 35 calories per serving so not terrible for a diet as long as you don't eat the whole container which, I'm sad to say, I could actually do, lol.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's nasty !
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It's nasty !

"retweet"
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It's sort of like any other leafy green. I tear it up and put it in my soups and stews in the crockpot!
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have been asking that same question of my friends lately. Here is what one of my friends sent me that I am going to try... though I will likely be careful with the oil....

Strip leaves from stem, put it on baking a baking sheet, drizzle and rub in a bit of olive oil on each piece, add salt and pepper or any spice you like, bake for about 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven until crunchy. This recipe is good when there's a craving for regular chips :)