Is this true???? Abs is 80% what you eat :/

Options
2»

Replies

• Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The only time I had visible abs I was down to about 17% body fat.

I was eating pretty clean and doing a lot of heavy lifting. I'd hardly ever do abs in isolation but plenty of compound stuff.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You can have wonderfully defined abs, but if they're covered in chub you won't see them =) Eating healthier helps reduce your body fat, letting the muscle tone show!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Nah. I'd say 80% food, 20% genetics. Exercise doesn't even play a part. Whether or not your abs are visible is a factor of how much fat is covering them.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat clean or healthy to get abs, you have to eat at a deficit long enough to lose enough fat so your BF% is low enough for you to see them. This can be done eating nothing but MacDonalds, provided you remain in a deficit.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    If abs are made in the kitchen, I'd love the recipe. :tongue:
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    13651605090619154_0dJGOSgR_c.jpg
  • soon2b_1fitmama
    Options
    you gotta eat right. its like 80% of what you eat and only like 20% of how you exercise.

That is that 80% of the effort is in your diet and 20% of the effort is with exercise. Women can get a nicely defined midsection without the exercise but if you're wanting to see 6 individual raised sections you're going to have to put in some exercise to get the muscles to pop more. Still that's nothing compared to the effort you'll need to put into eating clean. Hope that helps.

it does thank you :-)
    i always thought it was 50% effort in both.
  • Anabelucci
    Anabelucci Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It doesn't mean you only work out 20% of the time - it means that your diet is more important than exercise when it comes to abs. If you want abs, you need to decrease your processed food and eliminate sugar, soda and alcohol. Eat clean, whole, healthy foods and exercise. You have to burn the fat off to see your abs - doing a million crunches won't do that - you need to eat right and keep your metabolism up to burn fat first.

So it's 80% what you eat, and 20% working out that gives you defined abs.

Very well explained!!
  • soon2b_1fitmama
    Options
    13651605090619154_0dJGOSgR_c.jpg

love it!!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Abs are about a low body fat percentage.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    And with this, your diet is the most important portion. That being said, you need muscle mass to help fuel the burn. But you cant just do crunches to get the abs, you need to build the lean mass all over.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Depends what you mean by "low" but it's true the body fat percentage can't be high (20%)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If abs are made in the kitchen, I'd love the recipe. :tongue:

ME TOO!!!

When I went to a Tosca Reno clean eating seminar she stated that your physical composition (not just abs) was 80% diet, 10% workouts and 10% genetics. I think its more like 60, 20 20 but you get the idea, that food is a very high percentage of your appearance.
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    True to the bone.. if they are not showing.. you just need less fat.. is that simple..
  • Nav976
    Nav976 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your abs can only show when you reach around 15% body fat. (or in women, 15% around the belly cuz breasts throw off the total body fat %)

-Sincerely,

me.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Basically what it means is this:

Achieving the level of muscle definition needed to see visible abs is not just a level of muscular development, but also dependent upon having an ultra-low level of body fat that exercise alone cannot achieve. For women especially (whose bodies are naturally fattier than men's) this means very restrictive eating habits.
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    Abs are like any other muscle, train them and they get bigger. It would be interesting but I never heard someone say, "hey check out the size of that guys abs!"
    :laugh:

But it's not about looking buff. It's about looking lean.

That is why diet is the key to abs. It's the fastest and most efficient way to lose body fat.