I just ate 30 minutes ago, why am i starving again?

Options
About 2 hours ago i ate dinner. It was very satisfying. About 30 minutes ago I started getting hunger pangs so I just ate a very small meal, like 3ozs of shrimp and a tablespoon of cocktail sauce. It satisfies me and destroys my hunger pangs.

30 minutes later i'm feeling hunger than i was before, hungier than i've felt all day. So much so that i want to just eat and eat and eat until i feel completely full.

This also happens after i eat meals on occasion. I never feel this way if iu eat until i feel bloated, but i feel this way if i eat until i feel satisfied.

Does anyone else have this problem? I've heard its indigestion, or acid reflux, but i can't be sure. I'm drinking water right now trying to keep from having to eat something else.

Replies

• DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that the brain can't differentiate well enough between thirst and hunger -- so when you think you're hungry, try drinking a bunch of water first and give it a while to see if that calms the urge. It usually helps for me :/ Hope you find the answer you're looking for!
  • stickwithme
    stickwithme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get it and it's usually because I'm eating for emotional reasons, or when I haven't had enough sleep or both!
    Too little sleep is the worst.
    Or I get it when I've had a carb-heavy meal, which takes less time to digest.
  • linrevil
    linrevil Posts: 9
    Options
    i get plenty of sleep and i drink way too much water. i don't think its emotional either, i feel extremely calm, and hungry.

i'm eating some cherries now.

whats sad is that they seem to be making the hunger pangs worse.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water or work out a bit, i know that after i work out, i am too hot to think about food
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try going for a walk for 30 minutes. If you are still hungry after the 30 minutes you can eat something knowing you have at least worked off 100 calories of whatever you do end up eating.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I agree with the others. Water.

Also, hormonal - if you are female (no picture), is it near that time of the month, are you pregnant, etc.

I agree about the acid reflux. I have eaten because of discomfort from acid and I confused that with hunger.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    how many calories are you eating? Also, make your diary public so we can evulate your foods and provide feedback.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I find sugar does that to me and then anything I eat after just makes me hungrier. I find tea makes it stop for me.
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I'm fine eating small meals for breakfast and lunch and feeling "sort of' hungry most the day, but as soon as I eat dinner all I want to do is eat the rest of the night until I go to bed.

I've just altered the way I eat to accommodate that. I eat a small breakfast and small lunch and then a normal dinner. I'll usually have anywhere between 400-500 calories that I can eat after dinner. I tried to change and eat differently, but then I was just binging after dinner and going over calories, so now I make sure I have some extra calories after dinner.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating? Also, make your diary public so we can evulate your foods and provide feedback.

This. What you eat matters SO much more than how much. I still have days where I'm stuck with "convenience" options and get hungry with calorie amounts that are normally fine. Protein and fats are more satiating, so try playing with your macros. Cherries, from your post, are fine, but they won't be satiating. have them with greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

Also, you can try intermittent fasting. I found that it worked well for my hunger. If I don't eat a breakfast, I don't need to eat that soon. If I eat breakfast, I need to eat again like 2 hours later and then 2 hours after that.
  • linrevil
    Options
    i've made my food diary public. if anyone wants to help me with my food choices, that would be appreciated. i need to cut down on sugar apparently anyway.

i've ate just under 1200 calories today so far, but i plan on being up for anouther 5 hours at least so i plan on consuming at least anouther 400. i haven't done much today though, i'm on vacation from work so i've done nothing more than load the dishwasher, laundry, and fold towels. and sit on my butt.

i just finished a cup of cherries about 15 minutes ago, and i'm still feeling hungry. i've finished 20oz of water in that time too.
  • indescribablesin
    Options
    I always get very hungry after dinner at around 8-11pm (depending on how much I ate that day). I always take it to mean that it's time to go to bed.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    I have the same problem.... that's actually how I gained this weight in the first place. I was always very thin as a teen and in my early 20s, one of those scrawny stick figure girls that thought "I can eat anything and it doesn't effect me." Well, after a few years of trying to satisfy my appetite, which had always been a problem... one I had mostly ignored, but was trying not to ignore because I figured if I attended to my appetite I wouldn't have so many blood sugar related mood swings? Well that didn't really work and I put on a spare 30-40 lbs. I can eat a gigantic, hearty meal that would satisfy anyone else and feel hungry again half an hour later. I don't really understand it. Eating more smaller meals does help sometimes, but more often it feels like my body only recognizes smaller meals as appetizers!

I do suspect it has something to do with the length of time I let pass between meals in the afternoon. It's so easy to put off lunch until it's too near dinnertime and just snack to tide me over in the meantime. When dinner rolls around it's starvation mode! I find it really difficult to break this habit though. Lunch is the bane of my existence.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd be starving too on 1200 calories. Why dont you consider setting your goal to 1lb a week so you get more calories. And if you exercise then eat back 50-75% of them. I exercise 6 days a week so i can eat 3000 calories and still cut body fat.
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options
    You could be deficient in a certain mineral or vitamin and your body is trying to tell you by using hunger signals. I would pay attention to what you're craving when you're in these strange hunger situations; salty, sweet etc. and do a google search to find out what your body is missing based on that. I saw this on Dr Oz people, so you know it's legit.

You could also get blood work done to check things out. Could be slightly more helpful than a google search..
  • linrevil
    Options
    i tend to not exercise much if at all in the summer, i can't stand being hot, and i can't get cool in my house.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    i tend to not exercise much if at all in the summer, i can't stand being hot, and i can't get cool in my house.

I only have one day that I feel like this. Rest days. Exercise actually helps with hunger. When I work out I don't get the starving feeling unless I have not had enough water.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options

I completely understand...but do it in the morning before you take your shower then you'll feel so much better!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I bet your lacking some kind of vitamin or mineral, pay attention to anything your craving, if so. But I would get checked by a dr. to be on the safe side, do some blood tests. Best of luck!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Totally understand. I have days when I'm crazy hungry and seem to eat constantly. But for me, it often seems to follow a heavy workout day. Also happens on rest days when I don't have the extra exercise calories.

On a quick glance, looks like you have had 400+ calories left each of the last few days. This is on top of the deficit MFP has already factored into your goal. Try eating a little more throughout the day. Consider tracking, and possibly increasing, your protein; that might help keep you fuller throughout the day.