Replies

• thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I ate more than my body needed.
  • dreamsofsomeday
    dreamsofsomeday Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    1. My mother doesn't know how to eat well, so I never ate well when I was a child.

2. I kept using my asthma as an excuse to be lazy.

3. I didn't pay attention as much when I was little to how much I ate.

4. I was once satisfied at going from 180 lbs to 160.

5. I started eating tons of junk food last year due to feeling depressed over a very stupid reason.

6. Myself, because I had control, even from a younger age, even though this contradicts all the reasons I just listed. But it's the true reason.
  • kellimr
    kellimr Posts: 69
    Options
    Wow ~ I feel like I have lived the same life as all of you!! I think a big reason I began overeating as a child was believe it or not....anxiety. There was a lot of yelling in my household and when I isolated myself from that i found comfort in food. I had alot of friends and was quite active but I never really "excelled" in any organized sports I took part in. Was the tallest girl in class and developed early (I was almost as tall as the teacher in Grade 5).
    Unwanted 'male' attention at a young age caused me to "hate" my curves and puberty etc. Then an abusive relationship as a teen and college came along. Then several horrible starvation diets where I would lose a bunch in 3 months, then gain it all back plus some in 2 months. Any stressful life event has caused me to overeat so while food is my greatest "comfort" it has also caused me the greatest DISCOMFORT in all my life because I absolutely HATE how being fat feels.
    Thank you all for your posts....I didn't realize how many of us lived such parallel lives....
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    1- in denial about how big I was getting--having not one single mirror in the house that showed anything lower then my neck helped with that

2- the internet--seriously I found the net shortly after my 1st was born over 12 years ago and spent hours a day surfing message boards and websites about baby stuff etc---as the web grew my interest in all thigns 2.0 grew...more message boards, BLOGS and OMG facebook- are you kidding me with how addicted I am to this stuff???? Pinterest in the last year alone is like a golden icing to the sit on my *kitten* all day and do nothing cake....half a day or more would be sucked up before I came out of the fog and realized...crap I have to do some laundry or go grocery shopping and cook dinner for the family when they get home from school/work---no time now? ok PIzza it is...etc
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    First reason I am sure. It might be wrong.

1. I had to quit the one thing I loved the most: Riding.

Really, my childhood was a horse barn where I would go every afternoon and have lessons. (Or about every afternoon.) I had to clean stalls. Take care of a horse..Walk out to paster to GET the said horse. Once I quit (we moved away) That life style went out of the window.

Edit: Weekends was getting up, crack of dawn, and going out to feed the horses before the move. Just needed to add that.

2. I was diginosed with Tourette's then put on medication. Let's just say...It didn't work out too well. That with a new life of..not much excerise, starting High school in a pulbic school (was home schooled), and my mom deadly sick..I turned to the only friend I had at the time: Food.

I put on weight and couldn't understand why. Then through the years more weight came on until I was in the upper 230's and couldn't ignore it.

inbetween all of that, I went in and out of depressions where I just...ATE!

So..really lame reasons.
  • muscravageur
    Options
    1. I was fed since I was an infant foods that I was not supposed to eat until later. I had a sneaky grandma.

2. My own mother served huge portions every day.

3. Everything we ate had a side dish that consisted of a giant pile of white rice. Now I can't imagine eating white rice every day.

4. I was bought candy and chips at least 5 days of the week.

5. My grandfather had a grocery store and he regaled me by letting me take all the candy I wanted in a bag,

6. I was not interested in sports when I was young and my family was not proactive in getting me involved in any physical activity.

7. My parents worked and I had to spend the days among elderly people who babysat me and who were not very active physically.

8. As a result of spending so much time around adults, I actually found kids boring and therefore hardly played with them.

9. I took medications for asthma.

10. I was put in a weight loss program at 14 with no tools to internalize the changes I had to adjust to and I had a father who would get mad if I only lost a pound. Girls in school would still bully me because I would never look thin enough with my large frame. I was also called a lesbian, junkie Satanist and had stuff thrown at me.

11. Mother gave up trying to get me to lose weight because I had a meltdown and just decided me to eat whatever i wanted.

12. Then I took medications for depression, etc. for no good reason other than I lived in a small, religious town where nothing fun happened and I was stuck co-existing with 2 co-dependent, melodramatic parents and a family that I was not attached to in any way but made me feel like an alien visitor. I took those medications for 8 years and I became a Leviathan.

13. Parents separated while I was away in college, they would not send me money and I survived on food stamps and this girl named Tina who was pregnant and would drag me with her to eat pizza with her boyfriend. Or my best friend's late-night lo-mein noodles from a bag with a glass of pepsi and other kinds of cheap and starchy foods. Sometimes we wouldn't have a source of water in the dorm to cook so we had to eat out. My nutrition was not the best at this period, either.

That pretty much sums up my first 23 years.
  • muscravageur
    Options
    1. I was fed since I was an infant foods that I was not supposed to eat until later. I had a sneaky grandma.

3. Everything we ate had a side dish that consisted of a giant pile of white rice. Now I can't imagine eating white rice every day.

5. My grandfather had a grocery store and he regaled me by letting me take all the candy I wanted in a bag,

6. I was not interested in sports when I was young and my family was not proactive in getting me involved in any physical activity.

7. My parents worked and I had to spend the days among elderly people who babysat me and who were not very active physically.

8. As a result of spending so much time around adults, I actually found kids boring and therefore hardly played with them.

10. I was put in a weight loss program at 14 with no tools to internalize the changes I had to adjust to and I had a father who would get mad if I only lost a pound. Girls in school would still bully me because I would never look thin enough with my large frame. I was also called a lesbian, junkie Satanist and had stuff thrown at me.

11. Mother gave up trying to get me to lose weight because I had a meltdown and just decided me to eat whatever i wanted.

12. Then I took medications for depression, etc. for no good reason other than I lived in a small, religious town where nothing fun happened and I was stuck co-existing with 2 co-dependent, melodramatic parents and a family that I was not attached to in any way but made me feel like an alien visitor. I took those medications for 8 years and I became a Leviathan.

13. Parents separated while I was away in college, they would not send me money and I survived on food stamps and this girl named Tina who was pregnant and would drag me with her to eat pizza with her boyfriend. Or my best friend's late-night lo-mein noodles from a bag with a glass of pepsi and other kinds of cheap and starchy foods. Sometimes we wouldn't have a source of water in the dorm to cook so we had to eat out. My nutrition was not the best at this period, either.

when I say my dad got upset at me during the weight-loss programs was if I didn't lose more than a pound PER WEEK
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I got lazy and stopped taking care of myself.

I had plenty of reasons why I couldn't exercise.

There many excuses: I'm big boned, it's hereditary nobody in the family is thin, I don't have time, there's no reason to my husband loves me the way I am etc.

Take out is just to easy and preparing a meal takes to much time.

All the excuses and laziness ... living but not living!

After awhile I was so embarrassed and depressed I shut myself off from the world!
  • muscravageur
    Options

when I say my dad got upset at me during the weight-loss programs was if I didn't lose more than a pound PER WEEK

And I'm STILL overweight but nothing so major as before, thank God
  • annanoel21
    annanoel21 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    WOW! I could say yes to what everyone has said! Were we all in the same family just haven't met, lol?

I say my main reasons are:
    1. Never taught portion control.
    2. Everything was always fried or had tons of butter (growing up in the south a must).
    3. I was never really told no after the age of 8.
    4. I was never told I was fat always "Big Boned".
    5. I'm not sure my parent even know how to cook properly... they always cook for an army when there are only 3 of us, 4 including my fiance.
    6. It's always what is the fastest. Fast food, junk food, always junk around the house.
    7. No exercise!!! I did everything I could to get out of PE. I had no PE from 5th grade on.
    If I could I would go back and make sure I had every PE class they had just so I wouldn't be fat!

It is really hard on me. I'm 22, still living at home, trying to learn how to cook and eat healthy. I have NO clue how to do it alone... but I am doing the best I can!

My fiance bought me a foreman grill for my bday and I love it! As well as my steamer. Those have been getting used so much lately!

My biggest weight was close to 300 lbs around 14-15. Smallest was 190 at 17. Maintained 210 from 18-20, then ballooned up to 225 then 235. I swore I would never get back that big. Now I'm working on getting back down.

I say when we get out on our own losing weight won't be as hard. Just like if/when we have kids, they WILL NOT be obese and live the torture in school like we did! Mainly Everything will be healthy food.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    1 - I was always very thin as a kid/teen. I had a single mom, and we were poor and all that but my mom was (almost obsessively) committed to eating healthy and never kept any junk in the house. We always ate balanced meals comprised of whole foods, very little processed stuff. It was never about weight or dieting, always about nutrition. This was good but the meals were often BORING and repetitive. There's not a lot of room for experimenting with different cuisines when you can't afford all the special ingredients.

2 - As a teen I had somehow managed to build up a pretty gnarly guilt complex around food for which self denial was the answer (mind over matter, if others have to starve I should know what it feels like to wait a few hours and manage to tough it out.) This was a way to have power and feel morally superior. I became a vegetarian out of guilt and this fed right into the denial habit. If restaurants or cafeterias didn't have options for me, I'd have nothing or something very inadequate. (Note: I was never anorexic. It was never about body image. I was never trying to lose weight. I always ATE but often very little throughout the day until dinner time.)

3 - When I moved out on my own I had the freedom to get away from the boring meals I was used to at home and treat myself to anything I wanted. Large slices of pizza were $1 each in the city I lived, so 2 of those was an obvious lunch or dinner option. This was the beginning of a pattern but it would be a couple years until it really caught up to me.

4 - I was struggling to eat *enough* to actually pay attention to my body and eat when I needed food instead of resenting my appetite and willing it away. Allowing myself more pricey, richer foods was a way to take pleasure in eating instead of hating and resenting it. I just went a little overboard with larger and fattier cuts of meat, butter, cheese, nachos, etc. Unfortunately this blended in with old habits so instead of having a more varied diet I found myself still struggling to make myself cook during the day, then gorging on rich meals in the evening, when I felt completey starving, to make up it.

5 - On top of that, in an effort to be more social I ended up drinking more beer. I also moved to a city with much poorer restaurant options, and stopped riding my bike because the roads and drivers there were scary.

6 - My strategy for making sure I'd eat lunch and not have that crash was to allow myself to eat whatever was at hand or appealed to me. Lunch was most easily found at restaurants. When I lived out west that was usually sushi or banh mi sandwiches, but when I moved out east the options were worse and it was often burgers or poutine.

7 - Slow and steady this contributed to the spare 30-40 lbs I'm trying to work on now... The back and forth between indulgence and denial is the problem I'm trying to face. I'm still working on this lunch thing - how to keep my blood sugar steady and feel full after meals without having to reach for the high fat, high carb foods that are so immediately satisfying. How to not just revert back to the denial thing because that was extremely unhealthy, both physically and mentally... plus, it is the source of cravings.

Why does it feel so hard to find a healthy balance with food? It's nuts. It's so easy in theory, I understand completely what I need to do, I like and even PREFER healthy food (even when I'm eating a giant dinner to make up for that crash, that's usually a more or less reasonably balanced meal.) This timing thing is my real challenge.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm fat because I try all sorts of diets and crazy fasts and then end up binging myself into jabba the hut territory. It's a sad, sad cycle. Also, I like good food. I love cheese, the smellier the better, and could eat olives until the cows came home. And god, don't put me near a dozen lamb cutlets because those things will be gone faster than you can say "share the dead baby sheep, you greedy girl". I hate low fat anything with a passion - although I'm trialling cottage cheese and fat free yoghurt - and I can drink g&ts and gin martinis until I fall over.

Additionally, I'm terribly lazy. I resent taxi drivers for dropping me across the street rather than driving into my building's rather treacherous driveway.

Man, I suck, and should really go for a walk today.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    1. I relied on sports to keep me fit and didn't change my eating habits after I quit swimming. I swam 5 days a week for 3-5 hours straight. I ate what I wanted when I wanted and didn't gain weight. I mean big breakfast, big lunch, cheese fries right after breakfast and still had dinner.

2. I suffered from depression in high school: My first love broke my heart yadah yadah blah blah hooplah...It was hard. 40 pounds of ice cream, pizza, pasta and soda hard.

3. COLLEGE: No explanation needed.

4. No "real" knowledge of nutrition.
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    I was put on a medication in high school that made me gain 50 pounds in about 6 months :sad:
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    1) I was overweight until the age of 13, when I had enough of that crap and started working out, eating less, joined two sports teams, etc. Within a year I was down almost 100 pounds and felt great. Then, I turned 16 and started working my first job (fast food). So...

2) Eating fast food daily, sometimes for all of my meals. Yeah. Subway, Taco Bell, McDonald's, no matter how you slice or adjust it, is not good for you and is high in calories.

3) Had to quit sports due to the job, and eventually made excuses to stop exercising entirely. Overtime or no, I just "didn't have time"...

4) But I had enough time to master all of my video games over and over, and troll the Internet (which is a series of tubes, haha).

5) Oh, and heartbreak from family deaths, depression, breakups, stress at work, etc. etc. brought out my love for Little Debbie and Ben and Jerry's. can't tell you how many nights I bought a whole pint of [insert ice cream flavor here] and ate the whole damn thing.

But all of these things I'm changing now :)
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I thought that only fat grams mattered, not calories. So I would eat a pound of gummy bears without thinking twice.
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    1. I like food
    2. I don't like exercise.
    That about sums it up.
  • hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Simple...Because I didnt CARE! Sad I know :(
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I ate too much and sat on my *kitten*.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    (quote) Grandpa had a philosophy that if it was on your plate, you could not waste it.

This was my grandmother.. but my grandfather helped, by eating the veggies off our plates when she wasnt looking. lol However, this wasnt why i was fat.

I was thin. Very thin and very active. I had the perfect rack and a butt that would make you drool... I was able to eat cheeseburgers, fries, fried foods, gravy, junk.. and never gain weight... but you know what? you dont have to be FAT to be unhelathy.. i had a stroke from a blocked artery.. at age 24.

After my stroke.. i wasnt able to move and be a rowdy young adult.. so i gained weight. Now, im fat.. but my plans arent to lose weight, but to learn to eat properly.. and i have never EVER done it before.. never dieted, nothing.. i am 100% new to ALL of this. Its totally foreign to me. My story might be different, but its mine. This is why I am fat. :smile: