What Would Happen if Weight Training with a Calorie Deficit?

Options

Replies

• emmab852012
    emmab852012 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    when people say weight training how much/long are we talking per work out?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    when people say weight training how much/long are we talking per work out?

I can't speak for others, but I am thinking of 20 minutes of low reps with big weight, with short period of cardio like jumping jack, burpee jumps...
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    My thighs got bigger too. I don't know what it was from, but when I finished doing Insanity my jeans no longer fit my thighs.
    I was eating higher calories then too.
    I am now lifting 3 times a week and eating less. It has been two and a half months. I haven't lost any weight, but My body looks much more fit and I am holding my fat in better areas.
  • albayin
    Options
    My thighs got bigger too. I don't know what it was from, but when I finished doing Insanity my jeans no longer fit my thighs.
    I was eating higher calories then too.
    I am now lifting 3 times a week and eating less. It has been two and a half months. I haven't lost any weight, but My body looks much more fit and I am holding my fat in better areas.

Hoho...I wasn't alone, then. Do you mind telling me how you do WT? low reps/big weight or high reps/lower weight?
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I do the highest weight I can manage 10 reps at unless I'm doing bench then I work up to Max at one or two reps in the middle. But lifting heavy is the way to go.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do the highest weight I can manage 10 reps at unless I'm doing bench then I work up to Max at one or two reps in the middle. But lifting heavy is the way to go.

Your before and afters are amazing! That is one forgiving bikini!
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I net around 1200 per day, do the strength training circuit (about 20 minutes) every other day, walk at 4.0 MPH on an incline every day for 45 minutes, and this works for me. I feel great, am starting to look better and the pounds are coming off. I don't always eat my exercise calories back and I don't track calories for the weight training.

I've also gained an attitude of not wanting to mess this up, which for me is big, because I didn't exercise or eat properly for 10 years.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am doing Jamie Easons livefit program. Lots of weights and some cardio.
    I don't eat my exercise calories and have gained muscles and lost fat. A little over 10 pounds so far.
    Sorry, no. You didn't gain any muscle on a serious calorie deficit. That defies the laws of physics and biology.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am doing Jamie Easons livefit program. Lots of weights and some cardio.
    I don't eat my exercise calories and have gained muscles and lost fat. A little over 10 pounds so far.
    Sorry, no. You didn't gain any muscle on a serious calorie deficit. That defies the laws of physics and biology.

I read it as she lost 10 lbs of fat, not gained 10 lbs of muscle.
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For most people, you actually can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. It all comes down to nutrition and what you put in your body and the amount and type of weight training you do. It takes discipline and a strict diet, but it can be done. When you do this, EVERY calorie you put in your body counts.

When I say strict diet, I mean strict diet. Eating cheeseburgers while trying to cut fat and build muscle is not going to cut it, no matter how many calories you take in.

The only two types of people I would say cannot do this is 1) Advanced bodybuilders and 2) very skinny people with below 8 - 10% body fat levels.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    If you want to save or gain muscle while you lose fat, keep the calorie deficit small, maybe 20% of your BMR/TDEE. Then try to fit in protein-dense foods without going over your calorie goal. 1200 sounds very low.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For most people, you actually can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. It all comes down to nutrition and what you put in your body and the amount and type of weight training you do. It takes discipline and a strict diet, but it can be done. When you do this, EVERY calorie you put in your body counts.

When I say strict diet, I mean strict diet. Eating cheeseburgers while trying to cut fat and build muscle is not going to cut it, no matter how many calories you take in.

The only two types of people I would say cannot do this is 1) Advanced bodybuilders and 2) very skinny people with below 8 - 10% body fat levels.
    It also takes 10 times longer than doing a cut/bulk cycle. It's extraordinarily inefficient and frustrating. You need to pretty much be exact with your diet, and your training needs to be exactly right. Pretty much a perfect storm of unrealism that 99% of the general population will be unable to manage.
  • albayin
    Options

I hear you and I am not either one of the 2. :)
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Like others said, depends on your diet. If that 1200 is primarily protein and healthy carbs and fat you could build a bit of muscle right at first. But, once your body got used to the lifting (called starters gain), no you will not be able to gain additional muscle mass. But, you will stave off and possibly negate lean muscle mass while losing fat. That in it'self is vital, to keep that lean mass as high as possible.
  • albayin
    Options
    Like others said, depends on your diet. If that 1200 is primarily protein and healthy carbs and fat you could build a bit of muscle right at first. But, once your body got used to the lifting (called starters gain), no you will not be able to gain additional muscle mass. But, you will stave off and possibly negate lean muscle mass while losing fat. That in it'self is vital, to keep that lean mass as high as possible.

I think my primary goal isn't gaining muscle but rather lose fat while keeping whatever little muscle I got. Now I wonder if this is doable. Last round I did was to increase calorie intake when starting lifting heavy then I ended up bigger than ever. Not only I "gained" back all the weight I managed to lose but also gained a few more pounds. I was at my record high in my whole life. And of course, inchese were increasing too. I was so depressed. Then I stopped wt, but started dieting alone. I managed to go back down to smaller but now I wanted to lift again, but I can't afford being any bigger.
  • DB_1106
    Options

It also takes 10 times longer than doing a cut/bulk cycle. It's extraordinarily inefficient and frustrating. You need to pretty much be exact with your diet, and your training needs to be exactly right. Pretty much a perfect storm of unrealism that 99% of the general population will be unable to manage.

Absolutely agree with your last sentence.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people say that you'll die if you lift weights while on a calorie deficit. Pretty sure it's not true though.
  • DB_1106
    Options
    I've heard some people say that you'll die if you lift weights while on a calorie deficit. Pretty sure it's not true though.

??? I would love to hear the reasoning behind this theory.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I think my primary goal isn't gaining muscle but rather lose fat while keeping whatever little muscle I got. Now I wonder if this is doable. Last round I did was to increase calorie intake when starting lifting heavy then I ended up bigger than ever. Not only I "gained" back all the weight I managed to lose but also gained a few more pounds. I was at my record high in my whole life. And of course, inchese were increasing too. I was so depressed. Then I stopped wt, but started dieting alone. I managed to go back down to smaller but now I wanted to lift again, but I can't afford being any bigger.

Mind if I be kind of a butthead for a minute?

As a woman, and on a diet you have two huge strikes against you ever gaining muscle mass easily. Without the additional calories, and very limited amounts of testosterone, it will not ever be easy for you to bulk up. Probably the weight and mass gain you saw was simply the excess water surrounding your muscles after beginning lifting. Right at first, your muscles will swell a LOT with water in order to help them heal, and from the shock of the new exercise. As weeks roll on, the excess water will flush from your system and you will get back to "normal" size.

The absolute best thing you can do for your body is to add weight lifting into your workouts along with good amounts of cardio. Without the extra calories, and a LOT of hours of lifting, I guarantee you that you will not bulk up, it's just not possible. :-)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

??? I would love to hear the reasoning behind this theory.

I'm pretty sure 'reason' was absent.