Any ladies afraid of bulking up too much?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tmhargrave02
    Options
    I was trying to track my exercise for the day and I can't seem to find how to get zumba in the database. Does anybody else know why or what I can put in for it?
    I can clean and jerk 145#, OH squat 115# deadlift 220#-235#... and I actually do think I'm getting bulky. My husband disagrees, but I'm seeing some pretty big biceps and traps. I'm not going to quit what I'm doing (because I love it)... but I am definitely adding some significant muscles.

I agree the 3# hand weights won't get you sexy arms.

Wow, you can deadlift 220-235? How many reps? That's impressive.

One rep! Those are my 1RMs, sorry if that wasn't clear :)

I am (obviously) new to these boards, and I have no idea what topics are exhausted regularly. It's a good message to get out to women who haven't heard it. If the title doesn't apply to you, no one is forcing you to click on it. :happy:
  • cassaliz
    cassaliz Posts: 16
    Options
    I think at this point it's just a myth that women are afraid of getting bulky.

Sadly, it's not. One of my friends on here made that very comment today, that she's avoiding heavier weights because she doesn't want to be bulky. And I lift heavy, as do many of my other friends.

What we all need to remember is that today is someone's very first day on here. As sick as we might be of exercise calories, raspberry keytones, starvation mode, getting bulky, etc... to someone else, it's a brand new discussion. And this forum software doesn't handle searches very well. So... yeah, if you've been a member a long time, there's a lot of repetition. But not everyone has been here that long.

Exactly, I am newer here and this actually makes me want to go buy heavier weights. :) Thanks OP for the advice
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I could leg press 300 pounds when I was 13.
    Is that in any way normal? lmao.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I can clean and jerk 145#, OH squat 115# deadlift 220#-235#... and I actually do think I'm getting bulky. My husband disagrees, but I'm seeing some pretty big biceps and traps. I'm not going to quit what I'm doing (because I love it)... but I am definitely adding some significant muscles.

I agree the 3# hand weights won't get you sexy arms.

Wow, you can deadlift 220-235? How many reps? That's impressive.

One rep! Those are my 1RMs, sorry if that wasn't clear :)

I am (obviously) new to these boards, and I have no idea what topics are exhausted regularly. It's a good message to get out to women who haven't heard it. If the title doesn't apply to you, no one is forcing you to click on it. :happy:

Still excellent!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Maybe I was just in a grumpier mood earlier today. I just got back from the gym and feel great after my workout. I think I understand better now the intentions of the OP.

I just don't encounter the bulky fear among my friends because my friends are all very supportive of being strong, being able to defend ourselves/take care of ourselves, gender bending, and plus since I'm so tiny they would never worry about me bulking up from my weight lifting.

This has been a good thread and it's nice to chat with people about weight lifting. Thanks for starting it. It is important. And you are all beautiful women! :drinker:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Maybe I was just in a grumpier mood earlier today. I just got back from the gym and feel great after my workout. I think I understand better now the intentions of the OP.

I just don't encounter the bulky fear among my friends because my friends are all very supportive of being strong, being able to defend ourselves/take care of ourselves, gender bending, and plus since I'm so tiny they would never worry about me bulking up from my weight lifting.

This has been a good thread and it's nice to chat with people about weight lifting. Thanks for starting it. It is important. And you are all beautiful women! :drinker:

I agree!

And thank you for the conversation as well :).
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Just in my calves, waah.
  • desireedare
    Options
    thanks everyone who has helped out the newer MFPers and/or women who ARE afraid of lifting heavy because they're afraid of getting bulky. I have had A LOT of inbox messages and friend requests saying how this thread and my/our advice has encouraged them to lift heavier because THEY WERE afraid.

one thing we should all remember-- This site is for encouragement. We are all here to support each other. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even opposing opinions. But to be discouraging and demeaning is rude and it doesn't attract those who are seeking help.

Thanks again :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Not unless I take steroids.

I lift as heavy as I possibly can every time. My husband pushes me when I'm "wussing out" and gets me to squeeze out one more rep. If he sees me going for a light plate he shakes his head and grabs a heavier one. Since going to the gym with him consistently and having him spot me I'm able to lift a lot heavier then I was. I have no fear of "bulking" because I know it is impossible for women to "bulk" up with out a seriously clean diet and/or steroids.

I am proud of my muscles and how strong I am and I show them off every chance I get.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone who has helped out the newer MFPers and/or women who ARE afraid of lifting heavy because they're afraid of getting bulky. I have had A LOT of inbox messages and friend requests saying how this thread and my/our advice has encouraged them to lift heavier because THEY WERE afraid.

one thing we should all remember-- This site is for encouragement. We are all here to support each other. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even opposing opinions. But to be discouraging and demeaning is rude and it doesn't attract those who are seeking help.

Thanks again :)

I'm really sorry you feel that way. Because that was not my intention in any way. I was new here and I encountered other people being mean and demeaning about this issue, so I misunderstood you. I completely misunderstood you. And it was not because of you, it was because I misunderstood you. But, I understand now. And I am genuinely trying to say that I am sorry. For real. I hope you can see that and understand and accept my apology. You don't have to. But, either way it is important to me to say that I misunderstood (I really did) and I am very sorry. Best wishes to you and everyone. I understand now. And I am saying it is good advice and a good post. I hope you can just hear that. I know that if you could hear my voice, you would know that I am sorry and I am being genuine about that. I just started lifting heavy 3 days ago, literally. I am afraid of getting injured because I am dancer and I have had past injuries (I was hit by a car), and I'm doing it on my own. So, you all helped me too. I don't want to be on bad terms because I am here to learn and I need to learn. I am new to this, as I have been trying to say.