Peanut Butter advice - Help!

Options

Replies

• flyuk
    flyuk Posts: 28
    Options
    IMO, if you're trying to lose weight, you pretty much have to give up peanut butter. If you really need a fix, add teaspoon to a shake, but you can't just eat it.

I guess those 36 pounds I lost while eating peanut butter every single day were imaginary?

We are all different rml_16. Don't think everyone can eat like you do and lose weight. ;)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Well, I had to check what remote UK island you were living in... Kent!?

Go back to Tesco or Asda and try again. It's next to the peanut butter.
    hey there Cheeky! lol! They don't stock it in the Asdas where I go to! I live in a smallish village where there is only an Asdas, I looked today. They DON'T have it in our Asdas so there lol
    ;0)
    I will, however, try Holland and Barratt this weekend.
    :p

Rural village with a limited stock supermarket and a health food shop?
    If there's a larger town with a better Tesco or asda, your purse will thank you.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you're trying to lose weight, you pretty much have to give up peanut butter. If you really need a fix, add teaspoon to a shake, but you can't just eat it.

I guess those 36 pounds I lost while eating peanut butter every single day were imaginary?

So are my 51. ;) While eating TABLESPOONS of it daily. If I skip a day, I make up for it the next day. :p
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options

We are all different rml_16. Don't think everyone can eat like you do and lose weight. ;)

Awwww.... how cute. Another speshul snowflake.

*misspelling intended. ;)
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I just don't get the peanut butter thing! It's OK but full of calories & junk. If you like it fine but if you don't, don't go there!
    I have just decided that avocado does not have any taste to me & not worth the cals!
  • Settuccini
    Settuccini Posts: 44
    Options
    PB2, always. Best choice you could make for low calories and that same, great Peanut Butter taste.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Buy an all natural peanut butter where the only ingredient listed is "peanuts" or "peanuts & salt" , Yes its high in cals but its a very GOOD fat that has all kinds of health benefits. My favs are the Skippy All Natural but if you want to really go 100% natural get the Smuckers All Natural...it only has peanuts listed and thats it...both are very good but I like the skippy because it has added sweetener where as the Smuckers doesnt:)

~Carrie~
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I didn't say they could. I was not the one claiming that one MUST give something up or eat something specific to lose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

So are my 51. ;) While eating TABLESPOONS of it daily. If I skip a day, I make up for it the next day. :p

Liar! lol
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    I just don't get the peanut butter thing! It's OK but full of calories & junk. If you like it fine but if you don't, don't go there!
    I have just decided that avocado does not have any taste to me & not worth the cals!

It's only full of junk if I buy the one that is. I don't. I either make my own or use Smuckers natural. Ingredients: peanuts, salt.

What's so junky about that?

FAT DOESN'T MAKE PEOPLE FAT! Excess calories does. However, I eat more calories now at 50 pounds lighter... including lots of peanut butter, and I'm still losing and reshaping my body. Go ahead and give up everything good if that's what you feel you have to do. We'll see how long it's sustainable. :laugh:
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    [/quote]

Yeah with that being said, people knowing it's healthy, over eat it, and it's high in calories and before they know it, they've eaten 1000 fking calories worth of peanut butter, healthy or not, it's high in calories and not for irresponsible people with poor relationship with food, especially the obese people on here who are here to change their lives and their eating habits. I believe it's best to stay away from high caloric density foods such as peanut butter, because such a small serving is such high in calories, and i guarantee you the majority of people under estimate their servings and have more then they're really logging. Bet you anything, then they complain that their not losing weight or gaining more weight despite eating "healthy"
    [/quote]
    I'm one of "the obese people on here". I guarantee you obese people are more apt to measure their serving rather than gestimate it than the non-obese people on here. Of course I have no more evidence to back that up than you have for your statements. <w>

For me, carefully measured and reported, all natural, no sugar or salt added, peanut butter has been a huge help in finally overcoming my food addiction. The healthy fat satiates me. There are no added sugars to trigger a binge. Perfect food for ME! Obviously it is not a food one must eat to lose weight...I don't believe there is such a thing. One just has to find what works for them.
  • flyuk
    flyuk Posts: 28
    Options

Awwww.... how cute. Another speshul snowflake.

*misspelling intended. ;)

My God people, chill out and take a joke without climbing into orbit. :D
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I go for "natural" no sugar added peanut butter from my local bulk store. There are some "bio" versions at the grocery but I find that the bulk store offering is less expensive.

And, my servings are relatively low.

If you are eating a natural product with no sugar or preservatives? Just manage the portions and enjoy.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I eat it a lot esp with celery - I just do enough to fill the cavity and it's more than enough. I only do the kind I make myself (so easy.....just blend up the peanuts until they form a paste add a little peanut oil to smooth it out a bit. I make enough for a day and a bit at a time for me and DH). Its high in fats, but the same kind of fats in nuts, which is why the high calorie count plus the protein is also good).

High in mono- and polyunsaturated fats, consumption of peanut butter can contribute to improving cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of disease. Peanut butter is also an excellent source of plant protein. With about 8g per 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter, a small serving can make a significant contribution to daily protein intake. Peanut butter is a great substitution or alternative to meat products because it is much less expensive, it is filling, and it contains fiber. Finally, peanut butter is jam-packed with hard-to-get nutrients such as phosphorus, potassium, zinc, folate, and the antioxidant vitamin E. Even phytochemicals – specifically, resveratrol – can be found in peanut butter.

If you're looking for healthy alternatives to junk food, peanut butter is a good source. Heart healthy home made peanut butter on celery (1TBSP) is about 113 calories, 5g of protein, 8g of fat and about 2.7g of fibre (almost 14% of your daily recommended value!!!!).
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    High calories does not mean bad. It is a healthy source of fats and if you're working on actually getting in your DRA of vegetables you'll find it's harder to meet your calorie requirements than it is to keep under them. Natural peanut butter is amazing and unless you're allergic there's no replacement for it in a diet.
  • pinkwhisk
    pinkwhisk Posts: 41
    Options
    why do you care about the calories? Its healthy fats and full of protein! i eat about a tablespoon a day, look for the whole earth organic crunchy type.

Also, holland and barrett do all nut butters, they're easy to get hold of in the UK. But still high calorie!!
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options

This is my salvation when it comes to peanut butter.

Yes! I use PB2 on almost everything. It is amazing and you can eat twice as much for the same amount of calories in regular PB.
  • Consul
    Consul Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi - don't know if this will help but you can get lower fat peanut butter from ost supermarkets.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    i buy nature's promise no salt added organic smooth pb at giant foods (pa, usa). the oil separates but i've learned how to deal with that.

32 g = 2 tbsp, and i portion by weight, find it's easier and more accurate that way

here's an idea i came up with that tastes just like pb pie (without the crust): 5.3 oz oikos plain non fat greek yogurt, 32 g pb, your sweetener to taste - put the ingredients in a cereal bowl and stir until blended - 290 cals (using splenda), 23 g protein
  • j1mmysrabbit
    Options
    Peanut butter in porridge - genius!!!!!!!!!!!