Pls. look at my food&Exercise diary...What's WRONG?!?

Options
No hold's barred--pls. tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Working out/exercising and burning major calories just about everyday (except when I hurt my foot and got sick for a week or two).

I am eating the majority of my work-out calories (which I wasn't doing when the weight was falling off like brick), I'm also drinking creamy coffee daily (which I stopped doing when the weight was falling off like bricks).

I should be the size of a stick (according to my food/exercising calories burned), but I'm not. I'm also over
(okay way over :tongue: ) 40 years old. What am I doing wrong? Some weeks I lose, but .02, 04 pounds...but haven't seen a pound or more weekly weight loss in some time.

Please let me know what you think about my food and exercise based on my diaries. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Replies

• kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    This isn't criticism at all - but I don't even know what half the things are on your diary. Its definitely me being unknowledgable about health foods but I looked at 'breakfast' and just saw a lot of long words :-)
    I'm not one to judge, my diary is far from perfect!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    like the other poster said, it seems like alot of spplements, but i dont know what most of them are.

Just by going back three days it looks like you are working out and eating back your calories as you said, but that your base calories are set to 1200 calories a day. MOst people on here tend to agree that thats too low. It also seems yiou dont eat too much in the mornings/lunch, and then have a large dinner. These are the two things that seem right on line with that I do, and suprise suprise, my scale isnt moving. Maybe a coorelation? Sorry I dont have much more input

ETA: Also, are you sure your exercise calorie estimations are correct? The best way to do this is with a HRM or body bugg, as the ones on MFP and machines like treadmills tend to overestimate burns and you may actally be eating way more than you think since your calorie burns arent as high as you thought
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    like the other poster said, it seems like alot of spplements, but i dont know what most of them are.

Just by going back three days it looks like you are working out and eating back your calories as you said, but that your base calories are set to 1200 calories a day. MOst people on here tend to agree that thats too low. It also seems yiou dont eat too much in the mornings/lunch, and then have a large dinner. These are the two things that seem right on line with that I do, and suprise suprise, my scale isnt moving. Maybe a coorelation? Sorry I dont have much more input

ETA: Also, are you sure your exercise calorie estimations are correct? The best way to do this is with a HRM or body bugg, as the ones on MFP and machines like treadmills tend to overestimate burns and you may actally be eating way more than you think since your calorie burns arent as high as you thought

I don't eat breakfast and eat a large dinner, and my calorie goal is about 1300, it works for me... Only stall is when I eat out. There is plenty of scientific research that proves that meal timing means nothing, it is just over hyped due to correlational results.

If you have been doing it for a while, re-calculate your goals based off your current weight. Make sure you count everything including oil used in cooking etc. I cook my food myself so I know exactly what I'm eating. I also don't eat back my calories much...

Edit: After looking at your diary my assumption is your not burning what your estimating. I try to eat my daily goal and only go over a little if I worked out (which I do almost 7 days a week) but I never try to be as close as you are to my goal. I also always overestimate everything I eat to make sure. I leave myself a lot of safety margin.
  • wonderlilly
    wonderlilly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! I agree - I met with a nutritionist yesterday and she said 1200 was below what I would burn lying in my bed doing nothing all day, so I HAD to eat more than that if I wanted to register normal weight loss. Try bumping it up just a little bit! Another tip she gave me that no one has ever told me is to mix a carb with a protein every time I have them. You really are doing such a fantastic job, but especially with how active you are, my guess is you need more like 1500 or 1600 calories, minimum. Your body is probably panicking that you're melting away too fast!

Another thing that will probably help us all is to switch up our exercises and try new sports, etc. I tend to be a creature of habit -are you?

Here for you, and proud of you for sticking with it even when you're feeling disappointed. I swear, your daily smiles and love are one of my absolute favorite features of being on MFP! Rooting for you!!!!!!
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary for over the last week and I noticed a couple of things:
    1) you're starving your body when you completely miss meals or eat "not good for the body foods". Eat fresh fruit instead of juice.
    2) you eat low nutritional value foods for some foods and then snack in the evening.
    3) please adjust your settings so you can view sugars - I think you might be surprised by how much sugar is consumed. You can just adjust it back to your normal settings afterward.
    4) I see you're drinking water - good for you! - make sure it's around 8 glasses a day.

I know in many people's opinion that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories, but think about it - how can you expect your body to function properly to burn calories, but it doesn't have fuel all night long, nothing in the morning, small lunch and then the majority of the calories within a few hours of the entire 24 hour day. I wouldn't want to give up any weight if I were your body because I'm not sure when I'm going to be fed again.

Hope this helps! People on MFP are great for support (especially when they're nice if your opinions differ from theirs!)

Friend me if you like :flowerforyou:
    Laurie
  • carolhug1234
    Options
    dont eat back all your exercise calories, it ends up that u havnt exercised at all, i thought the whole point was to burn more calories than we are eating or at least try! and thats how you lose weight! am i totally wrong here!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You guys are so terrific, thank you so much for all of your wisdom and suggestions, i VERY much love and appreciate them ALL so much. @ Lilly...you are such a tremendous person and friend--THANK YOU dearheart!!!!

One of my other MFP homey's wrote me to have me check out this site called fat2fit and WOW, I'm so GLAD I did. I *think* I looked at that site once before, when I first got started, but didn't really "get-it/iunderstand it" I do now and it's giving me such encouraging "doable" new goal weight--FAR less than I had for myself (which is less stress/pressure) and more daily calories, so I shall be doing what many/most of you kind people suggest and changing my goals and weight info.

Thanks again so much gang!!!!

{{{ :heart: HUGS :heart: }}}}
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    dont eat back all your exercise calories, it ends up that u havnt exercised at all, i thought the whole point was to burn more calories than we are eating or at least try! and thats how you lose weight! am i totally wrong here!!

Yes you are totally wrong - so please don't send people down the wrong path.

OP, I would offer a couple of pieces of advice that may help you:

1. Change up your routine. If you have had success doing the same type of exercise and eating the same types of foods, there will come a point where the progress will slow dramatically. Remember that your body craves homeostasis and it wants to hold on to the fat - sometimes you need to change things up to kick start the fat loss again.

As for exercising, I suggest absolutely everyone includes some form of weight training or resistance exercise in their routine. It has a heap of benefits, including increased metabolism, increased bone density & strength etc.

2. Looking at the breakdown of your diet, I would suggest playing with your macros a little (more protein and less carbs specifically). Don't get me wrong, I love me some carbs and I'm not going to preach paleo, but some more protein might be a good idea.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your macros, lower your carbs, increase you protein intake, and definitely add more fiber.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    You seem to eat quite a lot of processed vegetarian foods, I'd try eating more natural stuff, more vegetables and such. I would also eat a more nutritious breakfast and maybe replace the cream with almond milk or something.

Also, yes, make sure you ARE burning what you think you are whilst exercising, MFP overestimates calories burned and if you eat these all back you're just overeating, rather than balancing out. :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wow, I REALLY appreciate all of your input and help so much--THANKS guys.

Also, I'm hesitant to bring this up...as really not wanting to look like a total dummy, but it's time and I must, because I see people posting about this "macros" business all the time and just ignore it, because I don't have a clue as to what they mean (ever since I started back in January) and the terrific person here mentioning my need to do this is just plain making me ask this--no matter how dumb I look/feel about asking, I just gotta know....

WHAT DOES MACROS MEAN? I've googled it, done a search here and I'm yet clueless:cry::blushing: :indifferent: :noway: :blushing:

What are macros and how do I watch them????? :embarassed:

Also, Raymond mentioned changing these/things up (food and exercise)...God, I really appreciate that, I think (in addition to ALL of you guys most excellent advice and help)...this is one area I MUST take up in this journey and it's going to be a true adventure changing things up too. Thanks again guys!
  • Laurie1267
    Options
    Never feel dumb - it's no big deal. Macros are the preset totals at the bottom of your food diary. You do have the ability to change those if you want to, but I didn't. Also when you go to the food tab and then click settings, you can display different macros other than what is normally displayed if any of those are important to you.

Hope this helps!

Laurie
  • Laurie1267
    Options

Sorry - I know this is most people's opinion, but I find the exercise calorie counts on MFP are kind of high. If you eat those calories back, you will gain weight. Please don't say someone who is trying to help is totally wrong. No one has the magic formula to weight loss and optimum health. No wrong paths here please.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have to agree about the processed foods. Even though you are in your calorie range, I would avoid those brownies and DQ and eat something like watermelon or a square of very dark chocolate. You may also try omitting the bun with veggie burgers and adding a lot of vegetables. You can also make your own veggie burgers (not hard at all).
    I would add a little something for breakfast, like 1/4 or 1/2 cup of oatmeal and berries - very little calories, but will stabilize your blood sugar and help with any snacking before lunch. I do the big dinner thing, too and am a work in progress :-)
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Your protein is way too low. You also have meals of nothing but carbs. A brownie for lunch?! Cherries?
    Now, I only looked a couple of days, so maybe you don't always eat like that - but you NEED MORE PROTEIN!!
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    More protein and veggies! Good luck:)
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I dunno if this would help you - but for me, I found that the default settings on MFP were WAY wrong for me and my needs, so I did some research and talked to my doctor. to meet my goals, MFP had me set at 1200 calories a day - which is less than my body uses to sleep for 24 hours, much less living a life! *laugh* So I figured out what my BMR (basal metabolic rate) is and resolved to never eat less than that - food is the fuel for my body, and I wouldn't expect my car to run without fuel, would I? Same thing :)

I generally eat back my exercise calories - because I know I'm already below my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) with my daily intake, so I'm at a deficit, regardless.

Also, and this is my experience - everyone is different - I found that when I changed my diet away from things that are easy/ convenient, I was fuller, happier, and weight actually comes off faster when I eat "real" food. For me, that means I cut out grains, because I ALWAYS seem hungry when I eat grains or beans, even when I've had bunches. But I can eat an egg or liver or something and be WAY fuller (and for much longer), with fewer calories over all. I'll put it this way: I began tracking my calories in Feburary - in the four months (16 weeks), I averaged about .75 lb/ week. The first week I started trimming grains, I lost a full pound (and I "cheated" several times). I've had zero grains in the last week, and lost 2.5 pounds. This may be something that is helpful to you, too, but as I said: everyone is different - but it can't hurt to try. Perhaps you have a sensitivity to something in your diet that's making it harder for you to lose.
  • cjcjcjcjcj
    cjcjcjcjcj Posts: 19
    Options
    I didn't see this mentioned yet, but after the age of 40, your metabolism also decreases by %5 (at the very least) because of decreased muscle mass.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Sorry - I know this is most people's opinion, but I find the exercise calorie counts on MFP are kind of high. If you eat those calories back, you will gain weight. Please don't say someone who is trying to help is totally wrong. No one has the magic formula to weight loss and optimum health. No wrong paths here please.

That's why many people only eat 50-75% of them back (a lot of people on MFP do know that the calorie counts for exercise on here are high). And a lot of people who eat them back also have an HRM and eat all of them back. Undereating isn't the healthy way to lose weight.

To the poster who originally said you shouldn't eat them back, on MFP exercising is for overall health and fitness, not for creating a deficit for weight loss. MFP already gives you a deficit in your daily calorie intake to lose weight without exercising. By eating back your exercise calories (or a portion of them) you still maintain the deficit to lose your .5lb, 1lb, or whatever a week that you set up.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    "Macros" are the required Protein, Carbs and Fats you should be eating per day.
    Type "calculating macros" on Google and check out bodybuilding.com, but typically you calculate your calories you want to consumer per day, calculate the amount of protein and fats your body needs depending on goals etc and the rest go to carbs. MFP by default goes to an extremely low protein and fat value if you work out. They are the building blocks for your joints and muscles, they aid in recovery and building strength as well as lubricating joints to prevent pain.