Mirror Image vs. Real Life

Options

Replies

• sofakingawesome69
    Options
    I always thought the camera added like 30 pounds..
  • dj_phx
    dj_phx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I always get the most motivation from pictures. I don't see it nearly as much in the mirror. Sometimes if I'm going somewhere I know there will be picture taking, I'll take a picture of myself before hand to prepare myself.
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    Race photos are particularly bad like that for me. Those photographers do it on purpose! :tongue:

Yep!!! When I see race photos I want to cry. The funny thing is they keep on e-mailing me to buy them. That's not going to happen.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes. Every.damn.time. I hate photos of myself. Finally, I'm starting to get a few that I don't "hate".

Wondering if we like how we look in mirror do we like photos taken of us in mirrors?
    LOL Sorry just found it funny.
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I see myself in the mirror at home and think "You look ok".. and then I go to the gym and I'm working out and take a look in the mirror and think "OMG you fat *kitten*, you have not accomplished ANYTHING, you are still huge with a BIG Belly". I don't like the mirrors at the gym or pictures. My eyes go directly to the worst parts of my body. All of my weight is in my stomach.. like a beer belly.
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I look in the mirror and think my arms look flabby, my thighs could be more toned, my stomach is too round, the list goes on....and then I see myself in photos and I'm like "oh...I actually look pretty small...."

This -- since I have lost weight I always feel this way. It's like I always see the me 30lbs ago in the mirror.

I used to be the opposite - thinking that I looked good and then I would see pictures of myself and I hated the photos!

So I have been on both sides I guess.

It's weird. Mirrors are evil. haha
  • HorganMom3
    HorganMom3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time, and in both directions too!! I'll have that moment where I look in the mirror at home and think, "damn girl your lookin good today!", and then I'll see a photo from that day and wonder when from the time I looked in the mirror that morning to when the picture was taken did a Mack truck hit with an ugly fat stick!! I also have it to where I think I look pike absolute crap and then I get compliments all day about boys good I look... Um ok!!! And now I have where I don't see the 23#'s gone really and I don't really see those inches off but people are telling me how HOTT I'm getting... I see it a bit, but not in such a way that they are. Oh well, maybe one day the person me, the mirror me, and the HOTT me will meet up one day, lol.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This makes me think of a line I saw in a tv show or movie I can't remember what it was though

Girl: The camera adds ten pounds
    Guy: So how many cameras were actually on you?

*Edit to say I'm pretty sure it was friends, Monica and Chandler banter.

I need to stop eating cammeras!
  • JamesterCK
    JamesterCK Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time!! I will look in the mirror and think "Hey I'm not looking too bad!". Then someone takes a picture of me that same day and I look gigantic. Can't wait to someday enjoy having my picture taken!
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This is the story of my life. It's huge motivation. I just took a bunch of full body 'before' pics of myself - that won't surface into daylight until I'm the smokin hot 'after' photo I want to be - but they are great motivation. I never realized how huge I really am. Sigh...
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this site? I find it quite useful to work out where I am vs where I want to be.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yep me too! I suppose its because we can "pose" to best form in the mirror. Difficult to do in front of a camera where you can't see yourself, and even harder with candid shots.
  • 1RBelle512
    1RBelle512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I definitely see a difference, and that's actually how I figured out what my goal weight should be. I look best in photos at 135, so that's what I'm trying to get back to! Even just 10lbs more makes me ruin pictures :(
  • iheartmarshall
    iheartmarshall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad that I am not the only one like this! I thought it was just me so it's reassuring to know other people look at themselves differently too. I think that's part of the reason why I was never motivated to work out before... when I saw myself, I didn't think I was that bad. Just recently did I realize I could/should lose weight. For reference, my starting weight was 236 and I am a size 18. I've lost two pounds so far and my current goal is to lose 56 pounds and go down to 180... we'll see what happens from there :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Race photos are particularly bad like that for me. Those photographers do it on purpose! :tongue:

AGREED!! :noway:

I have to say...in my last race I watched for the photographers and when I saw them, I made sure to over-exaggerate bringing my feet up behind me. And I don't hate the pictures. In fact, I actually ordered two of them!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Does anyone else ever look in the mirror and think "Hey, I don't look that bad!" but when you see a photo of yourself, you have the OMG moment where you're like "Holy crap, I look like a cow!" Yeah. That moment just happened. I saw a candid photo of me from three weeks ago and it was the first time I really saw how fat my legs and knees looked... I don't really see myself that way when I look in the mirror. Sure, I know I'm overweight but I thought I looked okay, you know? Just wow. Talk about motivation!

What do you see when you see yourself in a mirror versus in a photo? Do you see a difference like I do or is it the same?

I do :(. I never feel I look bad when I look in a mirror but when I see a photo I freak out. Its odd, dont know why the images seems so different in my head.

I really think it's because when we're looking in the mirror, we naturally position our head and body in the most flattering pose. We can't do that when someone is taking a photo of us!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Yes. Every.damn.time. I hate photos of myself. Finally, I'm starting to get a few that I don't "hate".

Wondering if we like how we look in mirror do we like photos taken of us in mirrors?
    LOL Sorry just found it funny.

Yes, I do think I look better in photos I take myself in the mirror!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I think its normal that we look 10 lbs heavier in photos or videos which is the main reason many Hollywood celebrities are starving themselves to thinness so they can look slim in photos. I also look 10lbs. heavier in pics but in person I look way skinnier than that & people also tells me that I look way too thin. Also I notice that I look uglier in pics than in mirror.

By the way, I took this pic in front of a mirror
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I look in the mirror and think my arms look flabby, my thighs could be more toned, my stomach is too round, the list goes on....and then I see myself in photos and I'm like "oh...I actually look pretty small...."

Yes this here too.

Yep, me as well
  • iheartmarshall
    iheartmarshall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really think it's because when we're looking in the mirror, we naturally position our head and body in the most flattering pose. We can't do that when someone is taking a photo of us!

Yes! When I feel pretty, I'll take the standard mirror pic and what I see in the mirror usually translates in the photo. I never thought about it like this, though... very good point.